Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bluemoonlight

Tips for managing

Bluemoonlight

Hey I'm a 16 years old about to be 17 next month.ive been having T2 diabetes since I was 12 years old unfortunately, my mother had diabetes with all her pregnancies but the doctors never tested her again for it until a few years ago and my grandmother has diabetes too, I guess it safe to say that it runs in the family.Sadly they told me I won't be able to get rid of it since it's hereditary. My lowest a1c has been 6.5 since 2013 and now in 2018 it is 13. I really need some tips to stay up on this I struggle with depression and binge eating disorder. Like what to do when it's time to take medicine set alarms, anything would help. 

Thank you

meyery2k

Welcome! - Recognizing you need to do something is a big first step.  Congratulations on that.  Diet and exercise can really help with control whether or not you need insulin.

Exercise can be simply walking.  Anything that gets you moving around.  Exercise helps lower insulin resistance.

Limiting your carbohydrates can help as well.  Start reading labels.  Stay away from things labelled low fat as carbohydrates are often added to improve the taste and texture.

You can find low carb substitutes for almost anything and, in time, if you adopt the diet it will be habit.

You can find lots of help here.  Many people on this site have lived with diabetes for decades.  We ALL want to see you succeed.

Chronically high glucose levels mess with you mentally.  I know that first hand.  When I got my diabetes under control, I felt better about everything, including myself.

Check out some of the posts and recipes and I hope you decide to stick around. ~ Mike

Hammer

Bluemoonlight, the first thing that you need to do is to lower your carb intake.  A lot of us here eat less than 100 carbs a day.  Myself, I try to eat less than 50 carbs a day.  The fewer amount of carbs you eat, the better you will be able to control your glucose levels.  You are a teenager and have an A1C of 13.....that is WAY too high.  I know that it is hard to not eat a lot of carbs at your age, I mean, your friends might want to go to McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, or wherever, and the food they have there is bad for you.  Except for their salads, there is nothing there that is good for you to help manage your diabetes.

I know that eating low carbs is hard for someone your age, but look at it like this....what would you rather do, eat the higher carb foods, or lose your feet, your eyesight, and your kidneys?  Eating the high carb foods will eventually lead to losing all of those things.  As a diabetic, we can't eat any high carb food, because if we do that on a constant basis, we will suffer from complications of diabetes, which will eventually lead to our death.  There is no food worth eating that will kill us.  Do you want to live or die at an early age?  If you want to live, then stop eating all of the high carb foods.....that's how many of us here have been able to live for a long time.

adiantum

Hello bluemoonlight, welcome to the forum.

The only thing stopping you from reaching 100 years old is neglecting your body.

Unnecessary foods are not worth forfeiting a fabulous life, even if we inherited the diabetes prone gene it doesnt mean we will die soon.

We are smarter then that &  we can learn what our body needs which is the right food choices & exercise.

Your entering an incredibly exciting period of your life, embrace it. Go for walks which can  walk that depression away with good circulation.

Ask us if you need exercise tips or  for us to suggest food choices, we all want you to be healthy and happy.

meyery2k

Not too long ago, I was where you are.  What can I do?  How do I do it?  Is it too late?  The answer is no, you can start today and you can do it.

In January 2016, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I weighed 313 pounds and my blood pressure was sky high.  My motivation was to keep my feet.  I have seen relatives have their legs amputated, go blind, and eventually die from complications.  I decided I would walk my feet off before diabetes took them.  I used a health app on my smart phone to track my walking and committed to 10,000 steps a day.  It is doable.  Every evening after work, I would walk whatever it would take to get to 10,000 steps.  I would rest 2 days in 7.  It wasn't at all easy.  My friend observed that I looked like I was going to drop dead.  I had blisters.  I pulled muscles.  There were a lot of reasons to quit but I didn't.  Just walking, no more than that, I managed to lose 75 pounds and could start running.  I hate running so I found my true love, cycling, which helped me lose another 25 pounds and I now weigh 212 pounds.  I can run 10k, cycle 100+ miles in a day, or swim over 1 mile.  The 2015 me could barely walk up 3 flights of stairs without being winded.

One of my first, and finest victories, was the day my pants fell down at work because of the weight I lost.

Diet - I tried to eat 1500 to 1750 calories a day.  I changed my diet to be a low carb/high fat.  High quality protein, butter, cream, eggs, good quality oil, non root vegetables.  Once things got rolling, it didn't take as long as I thought.  It took about 9 months to lose the 75 pounds.  I feel better and look better than I did at 40 (I am 51 now).  With all the exercise I am at about 2250 calories.  I honestly don't count them anymore since my weight has been stable for over 1 year.  I do count carbs though.  I have been able to stop taking medicine for diabetes.  With diet and exercise, my glucose and A1C test as a non diabetic.

Start small.  Small changes lead to big ones.  When asked how I lost all my weight, I reply 1 pound at a time.  Some were easier than others.  The challenge is mental.  Sticking to your guns.

To close - Here is a sample of breakfast, lunch, dinner...

Breakfast

Bacon, sausage, or leftovers from last night (No more than 3-4 ozs. of meat)

2 large eggs

1 oz. cheese

Chopped up vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, yellow squash, mushrooms, cauliflower, asparagus, daikon, radish).  Usually 2 of those and mushrooms fried in the bacon or sausage grease.  There are so many different ways to season that I can keep it interesting.

Almond milk with 1 oz. heavy whipping cream and Splenda to taste

Coffee

Lunch

3-4 ozs. of beef/chicken or 6-8 oz. fish

Vegetables or salad with a good high fat dressing like ranch or blue cheese

Nuts and/or cheese

Dinner

Small amount of protein or tofu

Nuts, cheese, salad

Enough to satisfy 

I sometimes have SF ice cream for dessert.  There are also many sugar free dessert ideas.

I stay full and have the energy to do the things I want.

I hope you find this helpful. ~ Mike

adiantum

Bluemoonlight, exercises depend upon your physical ability.

If bound to a wheelchair then theres upper body stretches , dancing & the use of stretch bands .

If your mobile, I find walking to be the easiest. Theres so much to  visuals to think of that you can actually forget  how far youve walked or the time.

When I walk along the beach, I set an alarm on my phone at 30 min or 1 hour eg.

When walking through a park, forest.. time doesnt matter as I'm having such a wonderful time.

Walking through the city Ive learned to appreciate different architectures or the fashions ( or lack there of ) .

I take a bottle of water & a bag of olives or cheese to keep the hunger away.

Keeping active keeps the blood supply moving freely so aids circulation but also produces endorphins that help the brain so makes us feel good. dancing is another fun  activity.. & a great exercise.

I highly recommend you use Mike, meyery2k as a mental companion.. he has been there & had a real good time adjusting & I see him as a great success story.

Foods... Mike has listed some good examples.

Instead of a pkt of crisps, make cheese crackers as I'm sure you will love them.

Place 1 Tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese on baking paper & microwave 1 minute. They are the best crisps ive ever had.

Kit

Hi Bluemoonlight, welcome to the group.

You were young to be diagnosed as a T2.  While it happens, its not so common.  Were you tested for antibodies?

For a T2, diet and exercise are the two biggest factors in keeping our BG levels under control.  And this is the single most major factor in avoiding complications.  And at your age, you certainly want to make this a top priority.

Do you have a smart phone?  If so, you can do what I've been doing for years.

Sit down in front of my food, grab my phone, hit the button and say "set alarm for 2 hours".  No forgetting.  It pesters you for you.  You can also set alarms for medications.  Set alarm for whatever time you need 7 days a week not expiring.  I have a few of those set myself, though for work related tasks.

The important thing is to build a habit.  Once the habit is built, the alarms and pestering aren't necessary anymore.  If you find yourself forgetting again, just start the alarms again.

The same goes for exercise.  I have to echo those above.  Walking is great exercise, especially when first starting.  And again, you build a habit.  At first its easy to go not today, I'll make it up tomorrow.  But keep it up, keep consistent, and it becomes a habit.  And then you can't stand the idea of not doing it.  I've been taking evening walks even long before I was diagnosed.  I'm currently to the point where I take those walks in heat, snow, sleet, rain, thunderstorms, and similar.  I've sheltered under trees while hail fell around me because I couldn't stand the idea of not going for my evening walk.  I stick on a pair of earbuds, set some music or an audiobook, and off I go.  I could easily walk for hours and hours if my schedule would allow it.  Its no longer a habit, its an obsession.  But walking isn't a requirement.  The important thing is to find something you like and stick with it.

Hammer

Bluemoonlight, foods that we try to avoid are potatoes, rice, all grains, pasta, most fruits,  sweets, and anything that is breaded.  The thing to do is to look up the foods that you want to eat, to see what the carb content is.  Just Google the name of the food, and add "nutrition" next to it, like, "apple nutrition".  That will give you many links to the nutrition facts of the food.

All exercise is good for diabetics.  When you exercise, your muscles need more fuel to help you do the exercise.  That fuel is glucose, so your muscles will be using up the excess glucose that is floating around in your blood stream.  As the others have said, you don't have to run a marathon to get your exercise, just do whatever you can.  Myself, I have arthritis in my shoulders, elbows and feet, and a bad back.  I love exercising, but do to my physical problems, I am very limited in what I can do.  I can't walk very far because of my back, so, I decided to get a stationary bike, place in my basement family room, and pedal it for 60 minutes every day while I watch a TV show that I recorded the day before.

You may or may not already know this, but when you are a type 2 diabetic, you are insulin resistant, meaning that your body may still be producing enough insulin, but your body isn't using it properly.  When you eat food, that food is converted into glucose to feed your body's organs.  The way it does that is by releasing glucose into your blood stream, then, your pancreas senses this extra glucose and releases insulin.  Once the insulin is released, it attaches itself your blood cells receptors, and that opens a pathway for the glucose to enter into the blood cell from the blood stream.  Once the cell has glucose in it, it travels throughout your body providing nutrition to your organs.  Without the insulin, there would be no pathway for the glucose to enter into the blood cell.

When you are insulin resistant, some of your blood cell's receptors resists allowing the insulin to attach itself to them, so the glucose remains floating around in your blood stream.  When you take a BG (blood glucose) reading with your meter, that reading that you get is the extra glucose that is still floating around in your blood stream.  By exercising, that reduces your insulin resistance, so more of the glucose that is floating around in your blood stream, is able to enter the blood cells.  By the same token, eating fewer carbs results in less glucose being released into your blood stream, and the less glucose that is released, the less there will be floating around in your blood stream.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.