Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kwest

Question about fruit

Kwest

Eating fruit, even higher-sugar fruit like a banana or watermelon, only makes my blood sugar go up a few points.  Are there some pre-diabetics who are just "lucky this way" with fruit?  Or is it best to avoid all but berries as a pre-diabetic?

adiantum

Hello Kwest, Welcome to the forum.

You have been wise in testing  your BG after such fruit. Not many of us can tolerate fruit. 

Some  can  enjoy a few blackberries .

Hammer

Kwest,  if you are pre-diabetic, then you aren't as sensitive to carbs as most of us here are.  I have a theory that I told my doctor about, and he agreed with it.  I told him that I think that we all have a carb threshold...a threshold that, if we constantly exceed it, our chances of developing type 2 are much greater than if we don't constantly exceed it.  That threshold is different for each person, so it's impossible to determine what it is for each person.  If you are pre-diabetic, and if you keep eating high carb foods, then most likely your diabetes will become full blown type 2.

I was wondering, how did you find out that you were pre-diabetic?  Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Kwest

Hammer, thank you for the welcome!  

I found out I was pre-diabetic from a recent A1c result (my first ever, only had normal fasting tests prior).

I've always exercised 5-7 days per week and eaten fairly healthy.  I purposely over-indulged in sweets and carbs for about 3 weeks prior to that A1c thinking I was already doing everything right and that I'd show the test I didn't have a problem.  Turns out I do have a problem because my A1c was 6!  Scared me a lot because my mother died because of type 2. 

I've been testing my blood sugar every day since that A1c learning how different foods affect me.  

meyery2k

Kwest - Welcome!  If you act now. then you might avoid diabetes.  It is more than just glucose in the blood.  You might have some type of insulin resistance going on which would lead to hyperinsulinism.  So you might be able to clear the glucose from the fruit but it take a higher level of insulin to do it.

Many here are of the thought that pre diabetes IS diabetes with a different name.  Just not as severe.

All carbs are converted to glucose.   That is a fact.  Knowing what I know now, I would avoid the fruit and replace it with non root vegetables.  Fruit is nature's candy.  Literally.

Personally, I stick to small quantities of berries on occasion.

LCD
4 hours ago, Kwest said:

I found out I was pre-diabetic from a recent A1c result (my first ever, only had normal fasting tests prior).

I've always exercised 5-7 days per week and eaten fairly healthy. 

Turns out I do have a problem because my A1c was 6!  Scared me a lot because my mother died because of type 2. 

I've been testing my blood sugar every day since that A1c learning how different foods affect me.  

Kwest,

A1c test indicatae your glucose average for the last three months.  If your A1c was 6, that is acceptable to many of us.  Some like to be under 7 and many perfer to be under 6. 
You are already exerciseing and eat fairly healthy so it might just be a manor of finding out which foods increase your sugars.  Carbs are not our friends and by eliminating them your sugars will improve.  

I would not panic or be scared because you are taking charge and seeing how foods effect your sugar levels.  I am confident that you will be able to maintain a healthy balance. 

In June of 2007 my A1c was 11.0 , dx as a Type 2 Diabetic and I started on insulin.   Three months later, it was at 6.2 and it continued to get better.  I began to titrate my insulin level dosage, reducing it a few units at a time.  After 1 1/2 years, I was completely off the insulin.  I have controlled my blood sugars by diet and exercise, and I take no medications.  In May 2018, my A1c was 5.1.   Many others have getten off their insulin or oral medication by changing their diet, losing weight and increasing their exercise levels.  

Libby

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.