Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry H.

Pyure sweetner

Larry H.

I am wondering about Pyure a sweetner called for in some dietetic recipes.  I used splended but the Pyure was said of offer better results and according to a google search it didn't raise diabetics glucose numbers. However I am suspicious that when I check a meal and it contains a almond flour cookie but using the Pyure product that my numbers seem to be higher than had I used Splenda.   Yesterday I had basically the same breakfast as today.  Difference was I added a cookie made with the Pyure.  Yesterday was 112 an today was 138.  It seems that something must have effected the numbers. Although I admit my numbers have been rather difficult for a while now.  I also had Steel cut oats about a half a cup cooked, not the before measurement which is around 1/4 cup.  I had half that so really and 1/8 cup uncooked. I had decided to try it since I saw some people were eating it and I find so far I can't go back to standard low carb cereals but the past four days I had the steel cut oats with some fruit in it, either raisins or blueberries with no real effects.  Next time I make those low carb cookies I will go back to Splenda and see if I notice a significant difference?  One thing about it I liked is that on Strawberries it actually makes juice where Splenda leaves them pretty well dry.  

Kit

Which Pyure sweetener are you using?  It looks like they have a few different products.  I'm assuming its either the All Purpose Sweetener or the Baking Blend?

If its the baking blend, yeah I can see that being an issue.

Maltodextrin, Organic Reb A (Stevia Extract), Natural Flavor

The first ingredient in it is Maltodextrin.

"Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide that is used as a food additive. It is produced from starch by partial hydrolysis and is usually found as a white hygroscopic spray-dried powder.[1] Maltodextrin is easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose and might be either moderately sweet or almost flavorless (depending on the degree of polymerisation). "

There is a half a gram of sugars per tsp in this product based on their labeling.  I would seriously question that.  They claim it measures one to one with sugar.  But stevia is extremely sweet so there needs to be a LOT of Maltodextrin in order to get that one to one ratio with sugar.  And, as you can see from the quote above, Maltodextrin is metabolized easily and can affect you just as much as regular sugar.

The All Purpose Sweetener contains

Organic Erythritol, Organic Reb A (Stevia Extract), Natural Flavor

Erythritol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol.  I've not used it myself, but I've not heard of people having trouble with it.

Stevia is a natural plant that has a sweet flavor but isn't digestible.  I've never had a problem with it unless if was included with fillers.

Natural Flavor could hide a lot of sins, but it could also be safe, who its hard to say there.

My guess is that this one is more likely to be safe to numbers.

I haven't used either of these, so I can't comment one way or another on how they affect me.  I do know that other products containing maltodextrin have affected me.

Kit

I wanted to add a little more info.

100g of Maltodextrin (by itself) contains 380 calories and  95.21g of carbs, 95.09g (basically all) of them labeled as sugars.  Which means it is almost entirely sugar. 

1 tsp of stevia extract is the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar.  So Stevia is approximately 48 times sweeter than sugar.  I would estimate that Pyure Baking Blend is 98% maltodextrin and 2% stevia in order to get a cup for cup equivalent with sugar.

Larry H.

Thanks for all that research Kit.  On my bag which is labeled as Organic Stevia Blend, granular all purpose sweetener.  The ingredients are listed as Organic : Erythritol, Organic Stevia Leaf Extract, (Reb A) Natural Flavor.  Here is the site I found that produces the product. It has a number of pages explaining its uses and effects.   

https://pyureorganic.com/products/organic-all-purpose-stevia-sweetener-pouch/

See what you think? 

meyery2k

2g carbs per 1/2 tsp seems like a lot.  The carbs would add up fast if you used at the same ratio as sugar.  

Larry H.

Somehow they claim the carbs don't actually translate to something that would bother diabetics in their literature. 

Kit

If its the all purpose blend, the carbs that show are from the Erythritol as sugar alcohols.

There is one way to really see how it affects you.  Test it without any other ingredients to muddy the waters.

Choose a time where you blood glucose levels are pretty stable.  Maybe about 4 hours after a meal.  Eat a spoonful all by itself (yeah, it will be gross) and test yourself at around an hour later.  Maybe at a few other times, but I am unsure on how fast it might have an affect and how fast you might be able to recover from a spike if you have one.

I think you mentioned in a different thread that they were chocolate chip cookies?  if so, what did you use for the chocolate chips.  That could possibly also be an issue depending on what types of chips used.

One other possibility.  Have you tried the cookie with a different meal other than breakfast?  Mornings are really weird for me.  I am really carb intolerant in the morning, so foods tend to raise my numbers more then than later in the day.  Sounds like it could be easy enough to deal with, except I can also get liver dumps in the morning if I don't eat or eat enough.

That combination makes breakfasts a balancing act for me.  For example, 2 eggs in sauteed spinach (a favorite simple breakfast of mine) might raise me 2 points on one day and 11 points on another.  And then a week later the exact same breakfast will leave me 5 points lower at 2 hours later.  It can be quite frustrating.  I have come to accept the fact that my body hates mornings and just do my best to minimize things.  :)

I have found that how I react can be more consistent later in the day, especially in the evenings.

Larry H.

Kit I was wanting to ask what you think of the Stevia that is like Splenda, one you measure cup for cup.  I bought a bag and after reading about it on line threw it away.  They mentioned it was very difficult to bake with and not end up with something odd tasting. I have used the liquid a few things I have made call for an I didn't notice any issues with it.  As for breakfast oddly my numbers generally are lower for them.  I have had a sausage patty, scrambled egg, some blue berries with milk and a mostly almond flour muffin with pumpkin I think you may have had a similar recipe for.  Pancakes made with Almond four don't move my numbers hardly at all. One evening we had them for dinner and I had a stack of four and then three more with sugar free maple syrup and my number was like 119.  One thing I notice since I first came on here years back, the recipes on line have improved quite a bit. Those cookies called for Sugar Free chips which is what I used.  I think I made the cookies before using Splenda and then because the Pyure was said to produce a better consistency I tired it. 

Kit

I don't really eat many sweet items anymore so I don't have a lot of personal experience on the subject.  My current dessert go to is a few squares of 100% dark chocolate.  :)

The only granulated stevia measure cup for cup with sugar I've tried was Stevia in the Raw and I did not react well to it at all.  I do react well to the liquid stevia, but baking with the liquid sweeteners can be iffy depending on the recipe.  Most depend on the structure that a granulated sweetener provides.

I actually reacted better to the granulated splenda, but serving size is very important here due to the filler thing again.

We have the popularity of low carb, keto, and Atkins diets as a major plus for the influx of recipes and products.  Paleo has really helped as well and it tends to have more respect than the others.

It sounds like you are doing well and making good progress.  It can be a bumpy road at times, but just keep at it and you'll end up with the results you desire.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.