Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneEye

Neighbors...sheesh!

OneEye

Wednesday, the 1st, I had a guy move into the vacant space next to me. One of the advantages of living in a mobile home park is no matter how good or bad of a neighbor you have...wait long enough...and that will change. With that said...

Last night the guy, I guess, sees my lights on and decides to drop by and introduce himself. Odd...but then again, it's 2018...odd seems the normal nowadays.

I'm not a people guy. I'm 75 and I've kinda had it UP TO HERE with people. I'd really like to enjoy my golden years without all the social drama. In fact...I've eliminated any spot for someone else to sit in my place...specifically to deter any long visits. I mean...how long does one stand and visit? Anyway...

I invite the guy in, like any good Christian who's now an Atheist would do...and he sees a bottle of Jack Daniel's sitting next to my computer and a half-full rock glass. I'm a half-full-glass kinda guy! "Oh, you drink!", he says. What a Sherlock this guy is. I'm always a bit suspicious of visitors that look around and eyeball my $#|t like they were taking inventory. C'mon...look me in the eye when we're talkin'!

New guy steps back through the door and says, "Be right back...got something you might like!" Really? I hope it's Shania Twain in a bikini...'cause I'd be forever indebted. Guy comes back with an unopened pint of Hot Damn! Hot Damn is a cinnamon schnapps liqueur put out by DeKuyper. Been there, done that...and that stuff has more sugar in it than a handful of pinky cotton candy at a county fair.

I tell the guy, "thanks, but no thanks...I'm kinda diabetic and sugar ain't my friend." "Oh, you're a diabetic? My mother-in-law is a diabetic...I help her. Did you know that..." and I stop this guy mid-sentence. "Look, neighbor! I appreciate the offer here and whatever insight you think you have into diabetes...but we're NOT doin' this. We're not gonna talk about my, or your mother-in-law's diabetes...and we're not going to talk about your erectile dysfunction, either. Ya' feel me?!"

Mr. FNG decides our visit is over.

Good for him. :)

buddy7

One Eye

An extraordinary new neighbor!!

“I'd really like to enjoy my golden years without all the social drama” :D

My kind of guy.

dowling gram

It is not at all odd for a new neighbour to introduce themselves. If you are going to live next door one would like the relationship to be friendly. That does not mean you have to live in each other's hip pocket. It just means that you want an amical relationship.

It seems to me that you could have sent the message that you don't want company in a better way than being rude. Why did you invite the guy in? Inviting someone into your home sends a message that you are open to being friendly. You could have stepped outside, talked for 2 minutes and then said you had to go and left him standing there. He would have got the message.

Personally I like having friendly neighbours and I have 2 terrific ones. One is a friend of 40 years and we have a lot in common but she has her life and I have mine. My other neighbour has lived there for 6 years and they've been very kind to me but I've only been in their house once. I like the fact that they'd check up on me if they didn't see me around. I've heard of seniors falling and it took a week for someone to find them. I've heard of seniors being dead for weeks before someone thought to look for them. That won't be me.

You keep your antisocial behavior and the more power to you but I'll keep my friendly neighbours who care.

OneEye
9 hours ago, dowling gram said:

You keep your antisocial behavior and the more power to you but I'll keep my friendly neighbours who care.

I guess if I were Canadian...I'd be nicer. I'm not! ;)

adiantum

apologies if i'm off topic but this issue has made me think ahead in how to treat my new neighbours when I finally buy a new house.

The house I lived in before this one had wonderful neighbours , so I still meet up with occasionally.

Then I moved here & would erect an electric fence if I could.

When I moved here & was welcomed to the street, I was told there were only two undesirables in the entire street.

I was pleased with that  until they said  that my house was between the two.

So, I am wary of what the new ones will be like.

Does one actually have to have a relationship?

I dont go into other neighbours houses  & I dont want them in mine.

I also want to enjoy my golden years without the social drama.

I plan to  enjoy my home within my own boundary & not get involved with those on the other sides

Orlando

I think that its just a matter of which approach suits you best, military or diplomatic. Both have the same goal, one of them just shortens the duration of the problem without any possibility of a misunderstanding or endless compromises. 

adiantum

I asked this at a  get together with old neighbours. She said the new woman in their street told them  that she has violent mental health problems that come to the fore occasionally. They leave her alone after that.

I love it & might adopt the same story  .

notme

I just moved and my neighborhood is friendly.  We had no less than 14 different people come over and introduce themselves.  We have been here a month and I know more people here than I ever did in our home for 21 years prior.  I actually love neighbors to stop by and visit.  People are good and mostly very kind.   I love life, people, friends and family.  The house we purchased is for entertaining.  So, I won’t be doing “anti-social”.  That being said, I would never intrude on someone that didn’t want me there.  I am empathetic and I can feel when I am unwelcome.  

I think we need more more social skills today.  People really have become kind of rude and a bit self absorbed.  

OneEye
36 minutes ago, notme said:

Heck no!  That’s what made them such great neighbors.  They gave me good stuff.  

Good answer! ;)

Hammer

I've been fortunate in that I have always had good neighbors.  When I first moved into this house, I was 21 years old, and the builder hadn't finished the driveway.(he needed to put down some crush and run stones).  It had rained for the previous few days, so the driveway (140 feet long or 42.67 meters) was just mud.  There was no way I could drive the U-Haul truck up the driveway, and it was getting late, so we grabbed some pillows and blankets from the U-Haul truck, and slept on the floor of the new house.  Early the next morning, the neighbor came over and said that, what with the driveway being so muddy, to instead, drive up his driveway, then, he would place some 4 foot by 8 foot sheets of plywood down from his driveway to my garage so that we'd have a path to walk on without getting muddy.  He also offered up some freshly brewed coffee.  Needless to say, we became good friends.

That neighbor moved away many years ago, and the neighbor that I have now is friendly, but at a distance.  Because I am a senior now, there are some things that I have a hard time doing, and if my neighbor sees that, he walks over and gives me a hand.  While I would never ask him for help, he doesn't wait for me to ask, he just sees me struggling with something, and walks over to help out.  He has mentioned to me several times that, him or his wife hadn't seen me in days, and my cars sat in the driveway for those days, and they were wondering if I was okay.  I told him that all he needed to do would be to look at my mailbox when he went to work, and when he got home from work, and if the flag on my mailbox was up, then I was okay.  I appreciated the fact that he was concerned about me.

One year for Christmas, he asked me if he could store his wife's Christmas gift in my house until Christmas morning.(it was a 42 inch big screen TV).  I told him sure, it was not a problem.  While we chat from time to time, we don't stop into each other's houses for a visit, we just chat with each other out in our driveways, and that seems to work for both of us.  I also keep an eye on his house when he goes away for the weekend. (I have a surveillance camera that I set up when he's away for the weekend, and the camera is connected to a DVR to record anyone coming or going from his house.)

adiantum

wow a 42inch tv  for christmas.. what a wonderful husband she has.

I remember my husband ( ex) had me guessing  right up till xmas eve, what he'd bought me for christmas.

I named all sorts of things & he'd just say " nah"

Came christmas morning & eventually I asked him where was this gift he said he had for me.

Nothing!!!

It worked out ok though as he didnt get away with such a mean spirit.

I'd had no cigarettes for 24hours....tee-hee.. a nicotine withdrawal wrath is the best weapon a girl could use.

It's only now many years later that I can realise he had mental health issues & lived in his own world of imagination.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.