Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer

And yet, another computer problem question...

Hammer

This is for those of you who understand computer programming....after I installed the Acronis True Image software, my new Windows 10 computer can't find the path to my TWAIN drivers for my old flatbed scanner.  I have tried deleting the TWAIN 32 file in my Windows directory, and rebooting my computer, and Windows automatically installs the same TWAIN driver.  I've tried downloading the TWAIN driver from the Canon website (it's a Canon 9950F scanner, that Canon doesn't make drivers for, but they recommend using their Windows 7, 64 bit drivers, which is what I have been using, and have worked fine for months), and tried to install it over and over again, but it's the same TWAIN driver that Windows is installing.  It's not that the driver isn't there, it's the fact that Acronis somehow is changing the path to that TWAIN driver.  Since I have Rollback RX Professional installed, I rolled my computer back to before I installed Acronis True Image, and the scanner worked fine.  So, can anyone tell me how to force the computer to correct the path to the TWAIN 32 drivers?  Below is the error message that I get when I try to access the scanner.  I tried to access the Acronis support, but you need to register there, so I tried to register, and all I keep getting is that their servers are down, so I'm unable to register, so I can't get to their support to ask for their help.

Untitled.jpg.45ad5836bf47694d7c6c33c1f785a6b6.jpg

FunDad62

Quick Google search came up with this.  Worth a try.

"Searching the Internet for this problem turned up several people having the same problem and several solutions which looked like they may or may not work.  One of the recommended solutions was to make sure a certain folder path is in your PATH environment variable.  As it turned out this was the problem, so here is how to add that path back into your environment variables.

First, determine the correct path to add into the PATH environment variable.  Look in C:\Windows\twain_32 and there should one other folder in there.  In my case it was named CNQ4803.

This is the path that is needed to be added into the PATH environment variable.

C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4803

Now, follow these instructions to get to the dialog to modify the PATH environment variable.

Control Panel > System > and then choose Advanced System Settings in the left hand column.

This will bring up the System Properties dialog (it should already be on the Advanced tab).

At the bottom of this dialog is an Environment Variables button.  Clicking this button will bring up the Environment Variables dialog.

In the bottom panel, scroll until you find the variable named Path.  Select this one and then hit the Edit… button to bring up the Edit System Variable dialog.

In the Variable value text box, scroll all the way to the right and then add in the path C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ4803 that was determined earlier.  Make sure to separate this value with a preceding semi-colon.  And also be careful not to make any other changes to this value.

Now OK your way out of all of the dialogs and CanoScan Toolbox will now work as expected."

Hammer

Fundad, when I click on the C: drive, then click on the Windows folder, then scroll down to the twain_32 folder, I can't add the  \ to that folder name, because I get a pop up that says that that folder can't have a \ added to it.

What I don't get is why my software programs can access the TWAIN driver when Acronis True Image isn't installed, but it they can't access the TWAIN driver when Acronis True Image is installed.  What is Acronis changing or blocking that prevents programs from accessing the Twain Driver, and why it's doing that?

Hammer

I decided to just roll back my computer to before I installed Acronis True Image.  I found that, Acronis True Image removed a folder on my desktop, as well as prevented me from accessing my Twain drivers so that I could not access my scanner.  I don't know what other damage Acronis True Image did to my computer, but I would highly suggest that NO ONE buy this program.  It's a total piece of crap.  When I tried to access their support on their website, I kept receiving a "Server Error" message.  When I tried to call them, I received a recorded message stating that I had to pay for their tech support.  I decided that it was cheaper to just roll my computer back to a point before I had installed this piece of crap software.  Acronis can just stick it up their....well, you know what I mean!  They got me for $40, but don't anyone else fall for their garbage software....it's a ripoff!

buddy7

Many moons ago my Dear lady and I came to an understanding clean and dust where ever you want too, but leave the computer to me, had a few bad experiences where she kept pulling wires out. With my computer skills was always a nightmare trying to find where they came from. So been putting it off for some time cleaning and dusting behind my computer table but that time came when it had to be done, but look when it comes down to cleaning I’m no different from any other guy. The point I’m trying to raise, having pulled the computer away from the wall, again my first response was what an utter complete mess of wires.

Wires from the Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Tower, Speakers, Router, Telecom box, and printer and it dawns on me surely the computer manufactures can better this. And as you well know most of the gadgetry is powered by electricity. Hence the portable double and quad sockets I have.

Question for you Hammer, can you ever see these wires getting less of, or any tidier, what I’ve got in mind with some help from the manufactures, single wire jack-plugs, in my view would get rid of most of the wire cluttering, even, if things were about 1-4 jack-plugs that would be much better. Probably it’s me being unnecessarily fussy. Or unless I’m so inept and haven’t a clue of what I’m talking about. What're your thoughts on this? I’ll send you a few photos which explain where I’m coming from. Those wires are a mess! But as they all serve a purpose, what do you do?

BTW did you solved the current problem you had with the new computer?

No1-2.JPG

No3.JPG

No4.JPG

No7.JPG

No12.JPG

NO11.JPG

No13.JPG

No14.JPG

OneEye

Wires never come in the lengths that are handy. You'll always have some type of a bird's nest with multiple peripherals. As long as they're not under foot...I wouldn't worry about their neatness. Sometimes even long wires are advantages as you can move units to clean without unplugging things.

And...since y'all are on 220V...myself...I wouldn't be dickin' around back there. I was hit with 220V once. Once was enough! :blink:

Hammer

Buddy, there are a number of different cable neateners on the market....here is just one type.  Something else, which is something that I have done, is to label each cable.  Just wrap a piece of white masking tape around the cable at the computer end, leaving a little extra tape at each end of the tape to tape to itself, making a little tab, then write on the tab what it is...."Printer"...."Monitor"...etc., and you will always know where the cable is coming from.  They make products for labeling cables, like this one, and they do make it easier to read than handwriting on masking tape.

For the power cords, you would need something like this, only those rated for 220V since that's what they use in your country.  If you use something like that for your power cords, since the power cords are fat and would cover up some of the outlets, you'd need to use 6 inch power cord extensions, like these, only for 220V.   Maybe Google all of these things from your country to see what is available over there.  I'm sure you will find the equivalent to what we have over here.

Kit
9 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Buddy, there are a number of different cable neateners on the market....here is just one type.  Something else, which is something that I have done, is to label each cable. 

Label BOTH ends of every cable, including the ones which seem obvious.  That can save some serious head ache down the road.  Mr Fuzzy and I learned this one the hard way.

I cannot stress enough, do NOT use the traditional cable ties.  If a cord in the bunch needs to me moved or replaced, you have to redo it all.  Cable ties are often pulled too tight, causing damage to data lines, which can cause hardware to behave abnormally.  Or you could do what a coworker of mine did.  Pulled out his pocket knife to cut a tie, nicked a power line a lot more than he should have, and gave himself a good sized jolt.

I personally prefer cable wraps.

An example:  https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/cable-management/cable-wraps/split-loom-wraps/product-30sl-02115.php

They don't hold the cables too tightly and can be easily removed or adjusted to allow for the addition or removal of cables in the bundle.

There is just something about computer cords that turns into a rats next the first time you blink your eyes no matter how careful you try to be.

Oh and another hint.  Don't have a cable pulled too tightly near its ends.  Sometimes people have the habit of trying to eliminate every extra mm of extra space.  You want to be able to move a piece of hardware a little.  And a cable pulled too tightly can also cause damage to the cord itself or to the socket it plugs into.  This is very common to see with network cables and I can't count how many times I have had to replace these due to damage from the stress.

I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the rats nest we had at one time.

buddy7
19 hours ago, OneEye said:

Wires never come in the lengths that are handy. You'll always have some type of a bird's nest with multiple peripherals. As long as they're not under foot...I wouldn't worry about their neatness. Sometimes even long wires are advantages as you can move units to clean without unplugging things.

And...since y'all are on 220V...myself...I wouldn't be dickin' around back there. I was hit with 220V once. Once was enough! :blink:

Thanks, OneEye for your input, appreciated, can assure you won’t dick around the back unnecessarily, only when I have to do a spot of cleaning and dusting, of course with the supply off. 240 V-AC-50Hz

buddy7
15 hours ago, Hammer said:

Buddy, there are a number of different cable neateners on the market....here is just one type.  Something else, which is something that I have done, is to label each cable.  Just wrap a piece of white masking tape around the cable at the computer end, leaving a little extra tape at each end of the tape to tape to itself, making a little tab, then write on the tab what it is...."Printer"...."Monitor"...etc., and you will always know where the cable is coming from.  They make products for labeling cables, like this one, and they do make it easier to read than handwriting on masking tape.

For the power cords, you would need something like this, only those rated for 220V since that's what they use in your country.  If you use something like that for your power cords, since the power cords are fat and would cover up some of the outlets, you'd need to use 6 inch power cord extensions, like these, only for 220V.   Maybe Google all of these things from your country to see what is available over there.  I'm sure you will find the equivalent to what we have over here.

Thanks, Hammer, for your response and Links appreciated, been living with this mess of power cords for some time now, so with your help finally I’ll get something done with them.

Thanks again.

buddy7
15 hours ago, Kit said:

Label BOTH ends of every cable, including the ones which seem obvious.  That can save some serious head ache down the road.  Mr Fuzzy and I learned this one the hard way.

I cannot stress enough, do NOT use the traditional cable ties.  If a cord in the bunch needs to me moved or replaced, you have to redo it all.  Cable ties are often pulled too tight, causing damage to data lines, which can cause hardware to behave abnormally.  Or you could do what a coworker of mine did.  Pulled out his pocket knife to cut a tie, nicked a power line a lot more than he should have, and gave himself a good sized jolt.

I personally prefer cable wraps.

An example:  https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/cable-management/cable-wraps/split-loom-wraps/product-30sl-02115.php

They don't hold the cables too tightly and can be easily removed or adjusted to allow for the addition or removal of cables in the bundle.

There is just something about computer cords that turns into a rats next the first time you blink your eyes no matter how careful you try to be.

Oh and another hint.  Don't have a cable pulled too tightly near its ends.  Sometimes people have the habit of trying to eliminate every extra mm of extra space.  You want to be able to move a piece of hardware a little.  And a cable pulled too tightly can also cause damage to the cord itself or to the socket it plugs into.  This is very common to see with network cables and I can't count how many times I have had to replace these due to damage from the stress.

I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the rats nest we had at one time.

Thanks, Kit I've checked with Amazon and they have got this one in stock: https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/cable-management/cable-wraps/split-loom-wraps/product-30sl-02115.php

appreciated.

buddy7

Hammer, thanks for your help, an improved transformed from all those cables, taking things a step further will be tidying up and labelling a few more miscellaneous cables, given time I’m pleased with the transformation so far. Thanks again.

No3.JPG

No20.JPG

T

No24.JPG

Hammer

Buddy, I'm glad that Kit and I could help.  That type of cable organizers are the same type that we used at the factory where I worked.  We used them to organize pneumatic tubing lines and process tubing lines in our paint robots.  They do a nice job... 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.