Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

CFDoell

Along with over 30 other teachers, I was laid-off June 30 from my teaching gig. The "RIF" (reduction in force) is apparently widely practiced by many districts. The unemployment status elicited a state of depression - one never previously encountered on my part. With this came overindulging and spikes. 

As previously mentioned, I have been working to control my numbers through (primarily) diet, portion control, other habits, etc. - I am still not taking diabetes medication, although my doctor did talk briefly last August ('17) about starting me with metformin.  And, my spikes have been minimal. For example, tonight, 4 hours after dinner, 129 ma/dl, 2 hours after lunch, 101 ma/dl. 

Last Thursday, I walked into an interview and was hired in the spot! My first day was yesterday, and I've never had to pee so much within the first four hours in a school in my life. I had one medium cup of coffee with skim and a single packet of sugar and a bagel twist from Dunkin' Donuts; I ran to the bathroom every hour up until lunch time. I'm concerned the nerves around my bladder are messed up, or I am unable to empty my bladder completely each trip. In any event, I cannot be desperately seeking a bathroom this often when the students begin next week. 

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

-CD

Edited by CFDoell

adiantum

Congrats on getting that new job.

I believe the huge serve of carbs in one meal caused the  bathroom visits.

Try cooking your own breakfast as take away is often too high in carbs.

The bagel twist alone had 65g carbs, which is  more then most have for the day.

Avoid skim milk as it has added carbs to make it palatable. Full cream milk tastes better, will keep hunger pangs away  & has less carbs.

Perhaps cook extra at dinner time & enjoy those left overs for breakfast.

Bacon,eggs & mushroom/ tomato or spinach is practically zero carbs.

Sausages & eggs  perhaps?

My usual breakfast takes 6 mins at the most in the microwave. Its an egg/cheese/spinach omelet 

Dave_KC

It's the first day of a new job, so I'd not read too much into it.  If it continues, then look into what may be going on.  

Kit

it can help to understand some of the mechanisms of diabetes.

High blood glucose levels are dangerous.  Our bodies try to flush it out of our systems with thirst and peeing a lot.

Your meal was pretty high in carbs.  That bagel twist has a little over 2 days worth of carbs for me.  Add in the sugar and skim milk and you had a pretty significant spike in carbs.  Whether or not that also took your BG levels rather high, we can't say for sure without you having tested.  But if you were drinking a lot and peeing a lot, its a pretty good indication that this may have been the case.

I would highly recommend finding better breakfast options of course.  Make sure you keep testing yourself so you know how foods are affecting you.

Now if you weren't thirsty or drinking a lot of fluids and you felt like your bladder wasn't emptying, its possible you might have a bladder infection. High glucose levels in the blood and urine give bacteria a lot of food to munch down on and allow them to multiply rapidly.  So this is another good reason to work on making sure you keep your numbers in check.

meyery2k

Congratulations on the new job!  It might have been nerves alone.

One possibility is the "fight or flight" reaction caused by being anxious might have caused your body to dump some glucose in preparation to "fight or flee".  That may have been a combo with the bagel twist.

Speaking as one friend to another, stay away from the bagel twists :) lol...

Go ahead and replace that skim milk with heavy whipping cream.  It will taste so good....

Dietary fat is not the horrible thing we have been told it was for years.  It will give you the energy you need and will sustain you far longer than carbs will with no crash at the end.  It will also help fill you up and keep you full.

This might sound crazy but I eat a little meat, veggies, eggs cooked in butter, a little sour cream, a little heavy whipping cream, coffee, and almond milk.  Keeps me going until lunch (all day if I find myself in a situation where I can't eat lunch) and I lost weight on this vs. pastry.

My friends commented that I would have horrible cholesterol labs but I have had the best numbers ever.

Fraser

One of the needs for urinating often is elevated bg levels, (not just a spike). Your body eliminates extras BG through urination. 

Yes all of the above can be the cause, but I would put you on a low carb high fat way of eating.  To see if that help control it. 

I speak from experience, I was known to have the smallest bladder around, but once I reduced my carb intake, I could take car trips for hours. 

Yes I use to make a lot of excuses for frequent urination. 

Cajarn

I think you should consult a doctor specializing in this problem because it can be cured.

dowling gram

I agree that it probably the bagel, skim milk and sugar--too many carbs + the stress of starting a new job but if it continues see a urologist.

You look about the right age for your prostate to start becoming enlarged. It can be fixed if you don't let it go on too long. I admit I'm a bit of a fanatic about telling men this because that's how it started with my husband and it turned into Prostate cancer. If he had gone earlier he might still be with me. I just want men to have the knowledge

Franz123
On 8/28/2018 at 1:47 PM, CFDoell said:

Along with over 30 other teachers, I was laid-off June 30 from my teaching gig. The "RIF" (reduction in force) is apparently widely practiced by many districts. The unemployment status elicited a state of depression - one never previously encountered on my part. With this came overindulging and spikes. 

As previously mentioned, I have been working to control my numbers through (primarily) diet, portion control, other habits, etc. - I am still not taking diabetes medication, although my doctor did talk briefly last August ('17) about starting me with metformin.  And, my spikes have been minimal. For example, tonight, 4 hours after dinner, 129 ma/dl, 2 hours after lunch, 101 ma/dl. 

Last Thursday, I walked into an interview and was hired in the spot! My first day was yesterday, and I've never had to pee so much within the first four hours in a school in my life. I had one medium cup of coffee with skim and a single packet of sugar and a bagel twist from Dunkin' Donuts; I ran to the bathroom every hour up until lunch time. I'm concerned the nerves around my bladder are messed up, or I am unable to empty my bladder completely each trip. In any event, I cannot be desperately seeking a bathroom this often when the students begin next week. 

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

-CD

Same problem with me....