Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FunDad62

LCHF concern

FunDad62

We all know LCHF works for us.  It works for me.  Keeps my numbers down when I do it.  But I can't help but always be worried about the HF part.  I love meat.  Could eat it all day every day.  But it's no secret it's not healthy.  Bacon, sausage, cold cuts.  Even chicken and fish.

So where's the balance?

Orlando

Whats not healthy about chicken and fish ? You dont really need high fat  at all. I have done many hundreds of tests and found that if I eat plenty of protein  keep carbs very low and fat at medium levels then things work out far better than the LCHF system. ie no hunger and very stable BG readings. Far too much inaccurate information on the internet re gluconeogenesis . I now eat about twice the amount of protein than I had previously thought possible. Get it from eggs,  cheese, fish, chicken and sometimes beef. So I now eat ca 10 grams net carbs, up to 175 grams protein and about 100-120 grams fat.

For me at least, that seems to be my balance.

Kit

What do you mean it's not healthy. Where is the proof? Where are the studies? 

The compaint against meat has always been because of its saturated fat content. And there are more and more studies and research showing that really isn't a problem. 

Plus a lchf diet is NOT an all you can eat meat buffet. It's high fat moderate protein. Which means I eat a lot of olive oil, avocado oil, butter, and similar. 

If you want balance, eat your vegetables!  I eat a lot of vegetables. Yesterday it was cauliflower, carrots, lots of peppers, mushrooms, green onions, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, and green beans. Most of it was fresh from a friend's garden.

Today I planning on making a big thing of coleslaw using red cabbage and what ever else I decide to toss into it. 

I don't know why people persist that a lchf or keto diet is a carnivore diet. They are not. 

Type 2 Fighter

Maybe lay off processed deli meats but do what I’ve done 

get over the guilt and put butter on a thick ribeye. 

Have some Butter Bob fried chicken! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.