Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

Internet speed doubled

OneEye

Modems have a max bandwidth they can use. Depending on the backbone Internet traffic will depend on what your bandwidth speed test produces. My ISP (Comcast) upgraded their bandwidth speeds for the tier I subscribe to. My Xfinity speed test was just 179.7 Mbps Download which is about right for this time of the night; 12:13 AM. Once they upgraded my bandwidth I also had to buy a new Arris SB6190 Docsis 3.0 32 x 8 Cable Modem to handle the load. DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 is the new standard. Your modem manual will tell you what your modem DOCSIS  (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) is.

Check with your ISP and see if they've upgraded their customer bandwidth. I wouldn't think they would do that without telling their customers.

ran23

Your site gave me 112.7/11/4   (back from running errands)  I use a few different accounts, right off hand not sure.   The main one I use  gives me Ping of 120-130.  The others are 12.   ??  which one to believe?   It is a hard wire Router, then I added a WiFi Point for my Amazon TV Stick.  (I wired the house years ago with Cat 5E, all rooms)

Kit

Its completely normal for internet speed tests to vary.  There is a lot more involved than just the equipment you have in your house.

And, if you are on cable internet, entire neighborhoods can be on the same segment.  Which means your neighbors' usage can affect your own speeds.

For example:  we had a physical issue on the line going into our house.  The fault was actually causing issues with our neighbors.

And then you have potential lag between where you connect up to your ISP and where the server you are testing against is located.  There can be more hops than you might realize even if its your own ISPs server.  An issue anywhere along that line can also affect your speed test results.

For example:  Work and home are both on the same ISP.  A tracert shows 8 hops between home and work going through 5 towns.

meyery2k

Just out of curiosity, I ran one.  I was getting 15 down/5 up.  I now get 60 down/11 up.  Spectrum (I think they are Comcast now though).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.