Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry H.

Update of the results lately of carb intake.

Larry H.

I thought since this was a bit of a change from my previous post I would start a new one.  The reason for that is, is that after a few months of trying to see lower numbers after eating to little effect with any carb intake, I now have some farther observations I am pleased to mention. 

A couple weeks ago by now I started to see that if I ate something that simply raised my numbers significantly, now I am getting different results.  The first thing I noticed was that when we go out to dinner on friday nights I avoided the whole wheat toast since bread or crackers had been running my meals upward of 180 to 190.  One night I was curious if having cut back significantly for a while if I might see a different result.  If I am recalling right that evening my omelet with bacon and cheese and some cantaloupe instead of home fries was 112.   Then since my experiments with Steel Cut Oats for breakfast seemed to also be coming in lower than I expected to see.  The first few times I tired to go back to cold cereal I got in the 150s with only about a fourth a cup of bran flakes.   My over night fasting readings had been running from 98 to 115 some mornings.  But after the Steel cut oats and a almond flour muffin with sugar free syrup and a few turkey sausages and yogurt I often was getting numbers from 5 to 10 points lower than the fasting readings.   The past week I got brave and started to eat around a half a cup of bran flakes with raisins and blue berries, yogurt and part muffin.  Today I had even more cereal and when I got up my morning read was 98 but after breakfast I had a 94!   

This all makes me rather wonder how this is all working out.  A couple of times when for some reason I ate something rather high carb the day before the morning reads were among the lowest.  I also recall seeing in the other thread that sometime your pancreas after a rest can return to some balance as far as carb intake goes.

I have been concerned that the egg, sausage, and cheese and heavy meat intake could cause my heart issues trouble.  Lately when I walk after a about 15 minutes I am getting an odd feeling  in my chest an a slight odd feeling in my left arm.  I know what that may mean!  I think after 15 years of watching my fat intake fairly well this new diet may have cause some clogging of arteries.   I guess I am going to have to have that checked out soon.   Living in a rural area the hospitals aren't the best with limited care. Worse in many ways is when they ship you to large city hospitals that have double rooms throughout plus having high incidents of those nasty untreatable infections.  Trying to balance one for the other isn't easy.    Because of this worry I have limited my intake of meats somewhat and not so many eggs daily.  One good thing about it is I was rather tired of cooking things before I could eat, I am one to crawl out of bed and head for the breakfast table.  

Larry

dowling gram

Larry this may address some of your issues. By all means you should have your heart checked out if you had a problem and haven't had it checked in 15 years but I don't think the way you eat now is effecting your heart but then I'm no doctor.

Carbs are the body's energy source. When the body doesn't get enough carbs it switches to burning fat for energy which is why most people who eat LCHF lose weight. 1 high carb meal will not change your numbers drastically but consistent high carb meals will.

If you are having a problem with breakfast try cooking ahead. I hate cooking in the morning so I often during the day I make a dozen of crustless quiche muffins or sausage muffins or a large omelet(and divide it) or flax muffins then freeze what I don't eat. I cook my pound of bacon when I bring it home from the store and the same with breakfast sausage. They too go in individual servings in the freezer. Doing all this ahead makes breakfast as easy as opening the freezer and nuking or heating in a pan what I want for breakfast. Breakfast is ready before I've finished my morning coffee

Larry H.

I don't have a microwave so I have to run the stove either way.  I did make the sausages this morning.   I have regular cardiologist visits about two hours from here so I haven't neglected maintaining a check on my condition.  Until now I hadn't had any odd feelings walking. They aren't really strong like when I had the 90% blockages in four arteries which couldn't be reached with the stints.  My doctor has said I have been getting close to what normally is the life of bypass's without some issues.  I just hate those hospitals but know I have to do it if necessary I have a 95 year old mother living next door who depends on me for a lot of things she no longer can do.    I too wondered if I could possibly be seeing a noticeable change in the arteries in a short time. I had a stress test last summer which showed normal blood flow.  Its funny my mother has no health issues other than a bad back, which is not picnic for sure but no diabetes, heart problems or other issues that I managed to get all of. My guess has always been that she may out live me and she still might. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.