Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japparis

New to the forum

Japparis

Hi there! I'm a 60 yo mom of three and Grandma of 2.  I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 6 years ago. Have never taken it seriously, which is ironic, since my husband passed away at 47 due to a heart attack and uncontrolled Type 2. Today, I decided that I need to get ahold of this disease and get healthy, not only for myself, but for my family. I just ordered a new glucose monitor, it arrives tomorrow. My last A1C was 10.6 back in February. I "know" what I need to do. But, I'm not great with following through. I would appreciate any encouragement. Thanks and great to be here!

adiantum

Welcome Japparis, yes with that family, you certainly have  a lot to live for & the need for a quality life .

You will get all the encouragement here as its a great support group.

The first thing I do in the mornings is to test my fasting BG & post it in the 2018 Morning FBG thread.

It isnt a competition as you will see some have a amazing numbers & I know mine are bad.

Just posting these numbers is a reminder for me that I have D & must be true to the cause during the day.

Its a great system.

Theres great food suggestions here & exercise tips.

I hope you become a regular poster.

Lee

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums, I can tell you from experience that you can turn your situation around fairly quickly with just few adjustments to diet, exercise, medication and loss of weight if needed. I'm a goal oriented guy and what I found it was easier to work on one or two areas that need improvement every three months rather than try to do everything all at once, i.e. for the first three months perhaps have a goal of getting your A1C under 8 by looking for ways to reduce your carb intake and adjust your medication, next three months A1C under 7 with more exercise and loss of ten pounds, etc...

meyery2k

Japparis - Welcome and congratulations for recognizing that you need to do something.  That is the first, and often, most difficult step.  Many here have benefited greatly using diet and exercise.  Some have even been able to reduce or cease taking meds.

My own personal experience is that it is a lifestyle change for me.  I started out a morbidly obese, sedentary, Type 2.  In time, I have become fit and have my diabetes well under control.

Make small changes and stick to them.  Many small changes become big.  While it does take some time to see results, it is quicker than you might think.

I agree that posting your morning readings may be a good motivation.  I admit that, at first, it simply sounded weird but as I made friends here I find it keeps me on track.

I do hope you decide to stick around and ask any questions you may have.  We are here to help!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.