Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

Fiber does not seem to help

ran23

Looking at Net Carbs,  My pre-Diabetes seem to only see the carbs.  TJ's  Palak Paneer is 8g carbs and 4g Fiber.  I'm 114 after dinner.  As a test today, I will leave off low carb warps, anything with new carbs, and see what I can do.   Is it possible, fiber does not work for all??

Kit

I have noticed for quite a while now that while fiber doesn't affect me like faster carbs, it still does affect me. That is why I limit myself to 30g total carbs instead of counting net carbs. 

dowling gram

You must have heard this before-- Every diabetic is different. What works for 1 may not work for everyone. I count net carbs and it works for me now but there may or may not come a day when it won't. We all have to be flexible and go with what works for us now.

I wish you good numbers and a diet that works for you

TX_Clint

All fiber is not the same. Digestible fiber may have an effect on your blood glucose. Undigestable fiber will not. I generally count half the fiber and do ok. The only way to get an idea of how much the fiber in certain foods effect you is to test before and after.

adiantum

The ham wouldve had sugar. Green onions are a root vege so higher carb

The broccoli  wouldve been fine.

How was the chicken cooked?

Gladtobehere

Vegetable fibre I use NET OR NO carb value for bolus

When I am getting the fibre value from a package I use the WHOLE carb amount.

I believe it is the difference between REAL fibre  and  MARKETING  fibre in processed foods.

Kit
7 hours ago, Gladtobehere said:

Vegetable fibre I use NET OR NO carb value for bolus

When I am getting the fibre value from a package I use the WHOLE carb amount.

I believe it is the difference between REAL fibre  and  MARKETING  fibre in processed foods.

Actually for me it doesn't matter if the fiber comes from whole foods or not.  I made a mistake of having a whole avocado with a salad one day.  The salad was around 6g total carbs (lettuce, cabbage, celery, mushrooms, and similar).  The avocado about 12g carbs with 10g of fiber.  I jumped up over 30 points at two hours which is way over my target range.  

I didn't do that great with a whole avocado.  So I tried again with half an avocado.  There I was within my target range.

This is a case of eating to your meter.  Record what you eat, how much you ate, and the macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs, fiber) along with your before and after readings.  Then make small adjustments next time and test some more.  Recording this information is vital.  You can then look at the results in mass at a later time and build a more realistic picture of how you react to what.

Using the above example, that meal was 18g carbs, 10g fiber or 8g net carbs.  For half an avocado it was 12g carbs, 5g of fiber for the meal, and I tested that meal combination a few times to confirm my results.  If the fiber in that avocado didn't affect me, I shouldn't have had any problems with the 2g net carbs in the whole avocado.

I have also tested extensively with flax (which is almost all fiber) with very similar results.  I can eat flax, but I have to keep a close eye on how much I am eating.

ran23

testing more .  105 2 hours after lunch, then my favorite afternoon Saki and sugar free sparkling water.  1.5 hours later 112.   There are no nutritian labels on rice wine, looking it up very little sugar in dry Saki.  or so I thought.   will run this test again.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.