Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

John_titor

Type 1 diabetes question

John_titor

Hi so I’m pretty sure I don’t have diabetes I just want to clear my mind and ask people who know a lot of this a question, everything started January 1 2018 i just stared going to the restroom a lot that week i did a fasted test and it came out 68 then the frequent urination stared going away after a month it’s been 9 months since that and I feel great no other symptoms just frequent urination once in a while only when I get anxious thinking I might have diabetes, I’m 18 years old 138 lbs do you guys think I could have it I don’t have other symptoms, and the last question how long does it take for type 1 diabetes to develope, can it take up to a year? 

dowling gram

I suggest you see a urologist. Frequent urination accompanied by thirst can be a sign of diabetes but frequent urination alone can be the sign of prostate troubles.

John_titor
3 hours ago, dowling gram said:

I suggest you see a urologist. Frequent urination accompanied by thirst can be a sign of diabetes but frequent urination alone can be the sign of prostate troubles.

Thanks, I already saw an urologist and he told me there’s nothing wrong and 2 weeks ago my fasting blood sugar was 98 is it good?

meyery2k

98 is considered within the normal range.  With diabetes, it is more important to look at trends rather than one particular reading.  Like blood pressure, glucose changes and can change greatly in a short period of time.  Stress, illness, and anxiety can cause an increase in glucose as our body prepares to fight or flee.

The printed symptoms of diabetes appear quite dramatic but my experience is that they are very subtle and I only found out I had diabetes after a doctor visit and some lab work.  My fasting BG was over 300 and my A1C was 8.5.  Clearly diabetic.

I had the frequent urination but, again, it was subtle.  I would get up in the night and I couldn't make the drive to the other side of the island without stopping halfway.  I figured it was just getting old (I was 49).  It wasn't like I had to go every hour but I did go a lot.  I noticed the difference after I got my diabetes under control.

The thirst was the same thing.  I got in the habit of drinking water in the night due to thirst.  I live in Hawaii and it gets hot and humid so I figured that was it.  Again, once I got things squared away, that stopped.

I am no doctor but, reading all your posts, it does not appear that you are diabetic.  

Share your concern with your doctor and ask for an A1C test.  This is used to diagnose and monitor diabetes.  The A1C gives an idea of average glucose levels over the past 3 months.  If you are not able to have the doctor perform one or order one from the lab, you can actually get an at home A1C test from CVS.  2 tests are about $40 iirc.

John_titor
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

98 is considered within the normal range.  With diabetes, it is more important to look at trends rather than one particular reading.  Like blood pressure, glucose changes and can change greatly in a short period of time.  Stress, illness, and anxiety can cause an increase in glucose as our body prepares to fight or flee.

The printed symptoms of diabetes appear quite dramatic but my experience is that they are very subtle and I only found out I had diabetes after a doctor visit and some lab work.  My fasting BG was over 300 and my A1C was 8.5.  Clearly diabetic.

I had the frequent urination but, again, it was subtle.  I would get up in the night and I couldn't make the drive to the other side of the island without stopping halfway.  I figured it was just getting old (I was 49).  It wasn't like I had to go every hour but I did go a lot.  I noticed the difference after I got my diabetes under control.

The thirst was the same thing.  I got in the habit of drinking water in the night due to thirst.  I live in Hawaii and it gets hot and humid so I figured that was it.  Again, once I got things squared away, that stopped.

I am no doctor but, reading all your posts, it does not appear that you are diabetic.  

Share your concern with your doctor and ask for an A1C test.  This is used to diagnose and monitor diabetes.  The A1C gives an idea of average glucose levels over the past 3 months.  If you are not able to have the doctor perform one or order one from the lab, you can actually get an at home A1C test from CVS.  2 tests are about $40 iirc.

Thanks! I did it already and my for the past 3 months my glucose has been between 70-98 he says everything it’s good and It’s been 9 months i feel good I even gain weight just to see since I heard undiagnosed type 1 doesn’t let you gain weight, overall I don’t feel thirsty, hungry, moody, just some urination but I drink 3 liters of water a day since I workout, just one question that i have, let’s say I stared urinaiting 9 months ago how long can a person go undiagnosed type 1 diabetes? Can they live a year with undiagnosed type 1 diabetes? This is my last question

meyery2k

If someone were type 1 and not producing insulin, I am pretty sure they couldn't go a year undiagnosed.  Their glucose would be sky high and they would catch that in the ambulance or the general ER exam.  The medics were I live give a glucose test as SOP if they visit you.