Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer

What's a good store bought food dish?

Hammer

I'm invited to a surprise birthday party for my ham radio club's president, and his wife said that we didn't need to bring gifts, but if we wanted to, we could just bring a food dish.  Since I don't cook, does anybody have suggestions as to something that I can just pick up at the store and take to the party?  I'm sure there will be plenty of people bringing cakes, so I was wondering what else I could bring.  I usually just get the person a gift, but the party is in two days, and the type of gift that I'd bring would be ham radio related, and there wasn't enough time to order something like that, so I figured I'd just pick u p something at the food store.  Any suggestions?

Kit

Pickup some sliced deli meats and cheeses.  I often see packs of these already made up in the store deli.

Or a mixed veggie platter with dip.  I find them in the produce section.

Shrimp cocktail is one I also see, though I think most often in the freezer section.  It just needs to be thawed.  Already arranged prettily in a ring with the cocktail sauce in the center.

Hammer

Thanks Kit!

The Wal-Mart food store that I usually go to doesn't have much in the way of those things, which is why I didn't think of them, but the larger food store down the street should have things like that.  I'll have to check them out.  What makes it hard is that I don't know how many people are going to show up.  I asked his wife if she has had any replies to the e-mail that I sent out to all the club members, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

adiantum

The stores I go to dont have these platters made up in advance but take orders.

The deli worker will even make a platter of meat/salad  filled wraps cut into wheels suitable for parties.

Did she mention any drink to take?

It wont matter how many are attending, if everyone or almost everyone takes a plate, there will be more then enough to go around.

Have a great time.

dowling gram

An easy thing to make is a finger food shrimp dish I make. It always goes over big when I serve it. The recipe can be doubled.

1-8oz package of cream cheese

1 small bottle of seafood sauce

1 can of cocktail shrimp

a small amount of mayo

stiff crackers or taco chips--scoops are nice

soften the cream cheese in the microwave--about 10 minutes should do it. You want it soft enough that you can mix in a little mayo and  it's spreading consistency. Spread this mixture on a plate. Not too sparsely because you are going to dip into it with a cracker--you can also use cocktail knives if you have softer crackers. Top with the seafood sauce and sprinkle on the cocktail shrimp. Serve with crackers or tacos on the side for dipping

adiantum

Perhaps give your store a phone call & ask  for the deli dept.

These are usually pre ordered during the year but available at xmas.

656725.jpg

656180.jpg

656289.jpg

656720.jpg

Hammer

His wife e-mailed me last night and said that I didn't need to bring anything, but if wanted to, just bring something like potato chips.  I decided that I'd bring some packages of broken pretzel pieces that I used to eat all of the time because everyone at work that tasted them really liked them....they are really good.  I picked up some plastic containers to put the pretzel pieces in when I got there, and some of the people had eaten that brand of pretzel pieces before and really liked them.  It seemed like everyone eventually began eating them, which was good since I bought 4 bags of them.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, they were all great and I appreciated them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.