Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

He's back!

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Ronin is back but changed.  During my absence I've had two hips replaced due to osteoarthritis, a bunch of PT and many, way too many, hours on the tandem mounted in the trainer in the garage. I also joined the ranks of septuagenarians (according to Dave Berry it means: "Everything Hurts" and I sometimes agree...).

I've learned a lot about me and my metabolism. What was most telling was that when I was exercising at my pre-arthritis levels which was very intense my BG levels were generally high in the Pre-Diabetic range. Moderate exercise and my levels are in the absolutely normal range. I can only speculate about what causes that but my latest A1C was a 5.1 because I'm not as intense as I used to be. My weight went up 10 pounds post surgery but only after I re-started exercising. Actually, 5' 10" and 150 is very boringly normal, my previous 140 was a bit low.

I have been contacted by a few who wondered what happened to me, hence this post on the forum where I spent the most time.

dowling gram

Hi Robin--- good to see you back. I guess I'm one of the lucky septuagenarians. Nothing hurts.

I had Arthritis in my knee quite a few years ago and started taking 3 pills daily of Chondrotin and Glucosamine. After a few months I switched to just 3 pills of just Glucosamine. After a few months all pain went away. A few months ago I decided to stop taking them. After 2 weeks I woke up one morning and couldn't raise my arm without pain. Oh Oh get back on the Glucosamine. I did and a week or so later everything was back to normal. I'll never try to give it up again. Some say it doesn't work for them but I wonder if they've taken the full dose or just 1 pill a day. All I know is that it sure works for me.

adiantum

OK DG..  youve talked me into it..

I'll give it another try ..with the added incentive of it being on half priced special this week.

@Ronin ... yay.. it's good to see you again

dowling gram

Lee ---Don't expect overnight success. It took a good 3 or 4 months for my pain to go away. I learned that the Chondrotin builds new cartiledge and the Glucosamine plumps up what is there. It doesn't work on Rheumatoid Arthritis but it does work on Osteoarthritis. Not everyone has my success but most people have a lessening of pain.

When I was first diagnosed I went to my library and took out every book they had on Arthritis. The book that made the most sense to me was "The Arthritis Solution" written by 2 doctors--Dr. Joseph Kandal and DR. David Sudderth. They recommended Chondrotin and Glucosamine along with diet for Osteoarthritis. I never paid that much attention to the diet but I thought I'd give the pills a go because I had heard about Glucosamine and it was supposed to be good. I thought if the worked the money spent on the pills was worth it to get rid of the pain. Well I've told you of my result and I'll be taking them for the rest of my life.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I wish I could have had a non-surgical alternative but when the joints degenerate to bone on bone there isn't a lot a pill can do.

We're back on the tandem doing a criterium in our village that is a little more than 0.9 miles per lap.  We do 12 laps on what is almost flat roads, low traffic, and we're developing a cheering section among the few residents who are at home on weekdays. Generally fellow senior with a few at-home moms.  Other than them and us the village is pretty empty on weekdays.

It is a good workout that takes about 50 minutes and, weather permitting, we do it six days a week. The other benefit is that if we have any kind of problem, we are, at most, only half a mile from home.

adiantum

DG, the glucosamine 1500mg arrived this morning & Ive taken the first one.

Heres hoping January 2019 will be free of  joint pain

Carol_42

Hi Ronin,

Good thoughts in your tag and I couldn't agree more: "Enjoying Life and Learning about myself everyday."

Spiritual hugs,

CB aka Carol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.