Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stl-T2

Type 2 experience with Freestyle Libre

Stl-T2

3rd day with the Libre.  So far I've established that eating breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's is a bad idea (no surprise), microwave popcorn (movie theater style) really doesn't spike me (a bit of a surprise), Korean BBQ isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be, 2 doughnuts + 3 cups of milk + potato chips is exactly as bad as I thought it would be (really, really bad - BG was high for hours, was higher than usual all night, higher FBG next morning, but I really enjoyed that experiment).  Also, some indication that watching action movies will bump up my BG.  I guess that makes sense if it causes some adrenaline release.  Definitely need to repeat that one a few times to confirm.  

One thing that the Libre doesn't do that I wish it would is identify and label the peaks with their actual highest values.  It has the data and displays it graphically, but the resolution is low.  

The biggest disappointment though, is how wildly it can differ from a finger stick BG reading.  I think there was a discrepancy of 31 mg/dl one time I checked (with the Libre having the lower reading).  

Today I'm trying to be a perfect angel diet-wise.  Seems to be working.  Still had my DP peak (which happens at 6 am sharp, I now know) but have been coasting down for the six hours since and am currently reading 79 mg/dl (so probably low 90s, based on the discrepancy with a recent finger-stick test). 

One note re the dawn peak:  My schedule has changed recently.  I now go to sleep at 8:30 and get up at 4:30.  I *think* it used to peak at 8am when I went to bed at 10:30 and got up at 6:30, though it was hard to be certain without the CGM.

Stl-T2

Unfortunately, the sensor has started coming loose already.  I've wrapped a bandage around my arm to keep it on which seems to be working for now, but I'm not happy about this.  

I did get fairly hot and sweaty yesterday. (It's October, darn it!  Where are my cool temps?)  Aside from showering, the only other thing that I've done that may have contributed to it coming loose was hitting it with my deodorant.  Maybe the deodorant reacted with the adhesive?  Dunno.   Anyway, I've heard they are good about replacing ones that fail.  Assuming that includes ones that fail by falling off, I may try to contact Abbot for a replacement. 

Anyone have any tips for keeping sensors and such stuck or what to do when they are coming loose but haven't fallen off yet?

Edited by Stl-T2
thought of a question to add

Stl-T2

After having the bandage wrapped around it for a day, the sensor seems to be somewhat more secure once again, so I haven't called Abbot.  

I read somewhere that there is a lag between blood glucose readings from a finger stick and what I assume is interstitial fluid readings from the Libre sensor.  I haven't tested enough to be sure, but the one time I did test both ways, the sensor did seem to be lagging by about 15 minutes and that explained another 30 mg/dl discrepancy, I was seeing.

Stl-T2

I just took off the first sensor.  It did, in fact, stay attached the entire 10 days (with a little help the one day mentioned above).  It was only slightly harder than a Band-aid to remove.  I was worried about the part of the sensor embedded in my skin sticking and hurting as it was pulled out, but I didn't even notice it with all the skin pulling the adhesive was doing.  There's a tiny red bump that feels a bit like a pimple surrounded by the usual sort of pale skin with a dirty edge like you'd find when you take off a Band-aid.  I decided to let it be for a bit before trying to remove the adhesive residue and dirt. 

Stl-T2

This picture shows the back of it which, if you peel off the adhesive, is semi-transparent plastic with the sensor filament sticking out of the center.  You can see the tiny circuit board and itty bitty battery.  I feel so bionic!

IMG_20181010_190633.jpg

Edited by Stl-T2