Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

steel

diagnosed recently..and hey i am back!

steel

@Kit

I couldn't agree more. Doctors let things go from bad to worse before alerting patients. I am starting to see more and more that the "progressive" nature of diabetes is a direct result of the medical establishment wanting to keep diabetics sick because we make them a lot of money. The disease gets worse not because there's no way for it to be managed well over the long term, but because people aren't 1) diagnosed in a timely way 2) are given the exact opposite diet advice of what they need. Then when folks end up in dire straits, we're told the disease is just progressive and that's how it's gonna be no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of fatalism prevents people from taking care of themselves as well as they need to, because they're made to believe that their efforts will mean nothing in  the long term. It's so unethical imo. Thank god for people like Dr. Bernstein who helped us see that we deserve the same/as close as possible blood sugar numbers as non diabetics and for all diabetic community members who have curated and shared resources over the years. I feel like people like me are so lucky and owe so much to diabetics who had to overcome so much with so few resources and shared their experiences and wisdom with us. websites like blood sugar 101 are life savers, literally.

Thank you so  much for sharing that study. It was among the first ones I read as well. Hypertension appears to be the real culprit, and I would think uncontrolled diabetes over the long term would contribute to white matter lesions likely because it tends to be co morbid with hypertension. Non hypertensive diabetics didn't show these changes in the study.

- a new small victory to share with you guys-

fasting blood sugar as been in the low 6s

post meal blood sugars are ranging between 6 and 6.7 :)

noticing  spotting again since going keto. looks like my cycle continues to fix itself after years of being irregular. i haven't checked my weight recently but clothes have gotten loose, and i can see the inch loss.

Kit

Congrats on the new low and the weight loss.  Some of the best signs, IMO, are noticing how your clothes are getting looser.  :)

By the time I had seen the ER doctor, a GP, and the dietitian, I felt pretty hopeless.  Actually the dietitian pretty much said there wasn't a lot they could do for me because insulin doesn't work and I was in horrible condition, etc.  Add to it all, my brother went blind from diabetic retinopathy a few weeks before I was diagnosed.

My only positive, I tend to get quite determined and stubborn when people are telling me I can't do something.  But I can so easily see how someone would go, why bother.  Why stress.  Why put in the effort.  The worst is going to happen to me anyway.  I may as well enjoy myself in the mean time.

steel

@Kit @meyery2k thank you! :)

Kit, I can barely imagine the stress and trauma of your diagnosis with your brother having developed blindess at the same time. That is devastating and to be diagnosed at the same time is so much to have to bear.  I am so glad you took control the way you did and were so so determined. Thank you for being you.

p.s. another small victory - first ever fasting blood sugar in the 5s. 5.7 this morn!

meyery2k

Wow!  That is great!  

See?  Those numbers are coming down.  Fasting numbers are usually the last to change.

steel

<3 thanks!

had 1/4th of a cup of rice today with home made meatballs (no carb), as an experiment. was 6.8 after 1 hour and 6.2 after 2 hours. will test again to see if there's a late spike.

last time i had a few teaspoons of rice..i was at 9.9. looks like i might be gaining some insulin sensitivity. 

i notice sometimes that there isn't a big difference between my pp numbers after 1 and 2 hours. like in the afternoon when i had soy roti and paneer, i was 6.5 after an hour and 6.2 after two hours. does that happen with you guys too?

Edited by steel

meyery2k

Rice never works out for me.  Potatoes are ok if I don't eat too much.  I can only do that once in a while though.  

steel

I tested every hour for 5 hours as I was up late and was curious. No late spikes thankfully.  fasting this morning was 5.7 same as last time. So once a month I might have that couple of teaspoons of rice. My body doesn't tolerate wheat well and am glad my meter led me to cutting it out.

Kit

This is where experimenting is helpful.

I can't do rice or potatoes at all.  I can tolerate beans.  but only in small amounts and only once ina  while.  Eat beans three days in a row and I will see all of my numbers raise for a day or so.

steel

This is important info! So I'll make sure to space these small treats out. No rice for the next month lol.

something interesting..I have an older relative (77 years old) who was apparently "borderline" diabetic for 10 years, was diagnosed with t2d last year with an hba1c of 7 and fasting of 8.4. i helped her plan her diet, so she cut out potatoes, rice and sugar. She was adding 6 teaspoons of sugar to her nightly tea!  and ate lots of desserts. Gosh. She stopped all of that. She's vegetarian, so I couldn't suggest meat and eggs. She is a small eater though, so she eats one wheat roti and with a small amount of lentils and yogurt, for lunch and dinner. She has a wholewheat bread with peanut butter for breakfast. She'll sometimes eat non starchy vegetables in addition to this. Now I would not be able to get down to even my current numbers (which need work) if I were eating rotis. So I was worried she wasn't maintaining good control, except by messy ADA standards. Turns her out her A1Cs since diagnosis have all been in the mid 5s range.

I was curious and tested her BS two hours after lunch. The same wheat roti that has my numbers in the stratosphere ..had her at 6 1 hr and then 5.4 at 2 hours pp. I was like..damn. I am really fascinated by that. She also lost 10 pounds on her new and improved diet. But she's already very petite, weighed like 53 kg at 5'3, now closer to 50. I am hoping she keeps up with her reduced carb eating and would likely remain healthy with diet and exercise alone for the rest of her life. I've told her she may need to change her diet in future, if the numbers start trending upwards. But she's not too worried. She's proactive, so she'll be okay.

I do feel slightly jealous tho! I wish I were 76 at diagnosis. :blink:

Edited by steel

meyery2k

While I hate having diabetes, I must admit that it has encouraged me to be healthier.  I don't think I would have even had a chance to make 76 if I kept on.

I now look, feel, and act younger at 51 than I did at 49 when I was first diagnosed.  So, thanks diabetes!  :hug:

steel

@meyery2k that's true. it does make us care for our health more. it's so weird i've started loving taking long walks. had to eat at a mall's food court this afternoon and got myself a swiss cheese loaded hamburger with mushrooms, asked to have the buns replaced with lettuce. took 5-6 fries from my cousin (hadn't eaten any in at least a year so thought i'd have a couple but didn't go overboard). drank plain green tea. walked for 30 minutes (just leisurely window shopping pace)  and checked blood sugar 2 hours pp was 5.8. with some planning and creativity, eating out isn't too bad.

Type 2 Fighter

Those who see “pre diabetes” as “unprofitable diabetes for now since no rx is used” do best. 

Congrats to all all those who take it seriously.m and encourage others. 

Type 2 Fighter
On 10/31/2018 at 2:12 PM, Kit said:

This is where experimenting is helpful.

I can't do rice or potatoes at all.  I can tolerate beans.  but only in small amounts and only once ina  while.  Eat beans three days in a row and I will see all of my numbers raise for a day or so.

Kit (and others)

has anyone found low carb and IF has now allowed occasional enjoyment of normally taboo foods after 6 months or years?  

Fraser

For me taboo foods are still taboo after 10 years low carb.  If foods are going to spike you they will spike you.

Kit
2 hours ago, Type 2 Fighter said:

Kit (and others)

has anyone found low carb and IF has now allowed occasional enjoyment of normally taboo foods after 6 months or years?  

I can't personally IF.  I liver dump like crazy when I skip meals.

As for keto, I can't honestly say that it has allowed me to splurge once in a while.  If I splurge, I will see higher numbers.  It does, however, allow me to keep near normal numbers, unlike the diet that was pushed on me when I was diagnosed.

steel

Today is my one month anniversary since diagnosis.  :ph34r:

small one month victories:

1) got fasting BS down from 8 something to 5.7 (seeing 5.6-5.9). Saw my first 5.6 this morning.  i was very happy but not taking it for granted and being aware I may some fasting numbers in the 6s too, just so i can avoid the emotional roller coaster of expecting things to *only* get better. diabetes like life can be unpredictable, and i want to leave room for that.

2) i've seen a few 7.8/7.9s 1 hour pp which i wasn't expecting as literally the same exact meals had me at 6.7/6.8 1 hour pp consistently. but the 7 numbers have come down to 6.7 and below 2 hours pp. my periods have started yet again and i notice my numbers go a bit haywire when my hormones are out of whack. my body is adjusting to keto still. according to Blood sugar 101, 140 1 hour pp and 120 2  hours pp is a safe target. I will definitely keep working to bring it even lower, closer to non diabetic numbers. But I am thinking this is good for one month progress. :)

3)clothes have gotten loose for sure.

My BS averages between 110-120 during the day. I have a long way to go in getting it lower and maintaining.

I can't believe it's been a whole month. I thought my life had fallen apart when I was diagnosed, largely because of the inevitably progressive and worsening prognosis that is sold to us. but I am glad I came back here and fixed my diet, got great advice and support and am seeing some positive changes in my blood sugar management.

Thank you DF community!

Edited by steel

steel

I noticed I didn't spike from the few teaspoons of rice that had me at 9.9. After almost a month of keto (first week I didn't have a meter), I was in the 6s even one hour pp of eating rice (1/4th of a cup). I tested for late spikes, monitored numbers closely for the following day and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  I do have quite a lot of weight to lose though, so maybe I've developed more insulin sensitivity after keto than I had a month earlier because of my high starting weight. Looks like some of us might be able to tolerate small amounts of taboo foods carefully spaced out. I will keep these excursions to the minimum, because I end up having to test too often to check how I am reacting. That's too much work lol.

meyery2k

:thrasher::congrats:

Congratulations!

I find I can eat small amounts of potatoes.  Even desserts if it is a once in a while thing.  They send me higher than I like to go but not nearly as bad as before.  Like you said, most times it is too much bother with testing and stressing and easier not to try.

Some exceptions would be a very small portion of whatever is being served at a birthday party.  I am not going to be the difficult one at the party that won't have a little cake.  That is the key, just a little cake and ice cream.

Cheesecake when I am almost certain it will be good.  Most of the store bought stuff isn't and I can make my own sugar free anytime.  There are a few restaurants in town though that have a good one.

"Auntie" Diane's homemade chocolate torte.  She only makes it a few times a year.  She uses premium ingredients so it costs a lot to make.  .  Fortunately she uses dark chocolate and limits the sugar as much as she can if she knows I will be eating it.  She has tried SF but can't quite perfect it yet.  She also has a killer egg nog recipe that I will succumb to.

Portion control and infrequent consumption seem to work in these cases.

But, yeah, most times I find something in vegetables, nuts, fats, cheeses, wine, dark chocolate, and so on that are satisfying to me.

I respect that I have diabetes.  I never ignore it.  I learn to live with it as best I can just like it looks like you are. :)

Type 2 Fighter
On 10/31/2018 at 6:43 PM, meyery2k said:

While I hate having diabetes, I must admit that it has encouraged me to be healthier.  I don't think I would have even had a chance to make 76 if I kept on.

I now look, feel, and act younger at 51 than I did at 49 when I was first diagnosed.  So, thanks diabetes!  :hug:

Giving Diabetes the middle finger!

steel

went to the doctor because of the persistent heavy bleeding (passing massive clots...sorry tmi), very painful cramping, shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. got a medicine to reduce the bleeding and got stuff for iron. checked fasting blood sugar in the morning...was 6.7. stress really does impact our numbers. i had two baked chicken drumsticks and half a small potato wedge for lunch, had a protein shake for breakfast (0 carb).  here's hoping the numbers aren't too bad.

phew