Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

steel

diagnosed recently..and hey i am back!

adiantum

I was OK with 1/2 cup  mashed potato last xmas & havn't pushed my luck since.

I mashed it with lots of butter & cream

3 hours ago, ran23 said:

Looking forward to testing a small amount of mashed potatoes sometime.  

steel

Oh man..still stuck with period issues. Barely slept all night. BS at 8 am was 5.7. By noon (I fell asleep..cus fatigue) it was 7.3 and I hadn't eaten anything. Yesterday it came down after lunch.

Does the 7.3 seem like a liver dump?

adiantum

Steel, you could find not eating will cause a liver dump. I cant go long periods without a little food.

I was so glad to see the last of my periods.

Kit

Did you eat anything?  if not, or didn't eat much, yeah, its likely a liver dump.

Hormones can also be a complete pain when it comes to BG control as well.  Take for instance, me.  I'm going through perimenopause.  Due to this, my hormone levels seem to fluctuate wildly at times.  My morning fasting readings which are usually in the 80s and maybe 90s are now running pretty consistently over 110 for the last few weeks.  They usually coincide with hot flashes, but not always.  And,, even more fun, it seems like nothing I do makes any difference when it is happening.  I don't even bring it up to my doctors.  They only response from them is I need to run higher numbers and eat more carbs.  *eye roll*

Has your doctor said anything more other than give you some pills?  I've had some really heavy cycles a few times, but they were kind of one off events and not a norm.  Now I seem to have nothing but heavy cycles, but have around a half dozen a year at most.  Would be nice if they happened like every other month.  What actually happens is I go for 4 or so months without any and then have a whole bunch all in a row.

steel

I hadn't eaten anything. It's interesting that even without eating my BS around the same time  used to be 5.7-6.1 (well I guess more like 10 am...and this time I checked at noon, if those two hours make a difference). Does stress make liver dumps more pronounced? I had palpitations, cramps, still passing huge clots and bleeding heavily. Doctor gave me tramexanic? acid to curb the bleeding. I've only had a day's worth and have a small improvement. This time my period has been going on for a whole month and got even heavier this past week when the clots started passing, very painfully and frequently. I knew I needed to see a doctor asap, so went in yesterday.

I had very light periods for the past couple of years. Going keto pretty much re started my period, alas it has just kept on going lol. There's some hormonal upheaval going on inside for sure. It seems like I've become less insulin resistant than a month ago at diagnosis, which is a good thing. Now just hoping for this period to stop and my BS to go back to the range I had brought it in, so I can keep working to get it lower. *phew*

steel

7.1 one hour after eating (small soya roti and calabash with full fat yogurt) will likely go down after another hour. same thing happened yesterday.

Kit

Yes, stress can raise your BG levels.

An interesting fact.  There are actually a few hormones in our bodies which will raise our BG levels, such as cortisol and epinephrine (mobilizes fuel during stress).  There is only one which will lower it (insulin).

So yes, stress can raise your numbers.  To give another example, took my BG one morning and I was somewhere in the 80s or 90s.  Within 30 minutes I was walking out the front door to head off to work.  As I was walking out the door, I noticed my front yard looked a bit like a pond or swamp.  Our water main had broken between the shut off valve and our house.  Joy of joys.  Went back inside, yelled at my husband, and for grins took my number again.  I had jumped something like 30 points.

Illness can do it as well.  I caught the plague when I went back for my brothers funeral at the beginning of the year.  I was getting morning fasting readings in the 140s and 160s.

I would certainly keep your doctor in the loop in regards to your cycle.  This doesn't seem right to me and I don't think it should have been caused by your changes.  I've heard of hormone changes, but they are usually more towards the better.

Did your doctor check you for anemia?  A normal cycle shouldn't be a problem.  You are not bleeding, just shedding a lining that took a month to build up.  You don't sound like that though and with that much and that long, I'm pretty confident its real bleeding and that could lead to anemia.

steel

BG went down  to 6.3 after two hours post lunch. So weird! It was 7.3 at noon, fasting. I get the mechanism but it's interesting..like to think BG is lower after eating. :wacko:

@Kit Thank you so  much for sharing your experiences. It really puts things into perspective for me! To think a stressful event caused you to spike..it's so interesting that people with diabetes can see in real time how stress impacts the body.

Illness causing spikes does make me very nervous. Probably among the worst things about diabetes is how it complicates and potentially worsens other illnesses. 

I'll definitely keep checking with my doctor and getting tests done. He wrote me a lab requisition for iron and ferritin. I do have palpitations and some shortness of breath, but it has gotten better since the bleeding has reduced. It does make me think of anemia. 

I'll get the tests soon now that I am not needing to rush to the bathroom every 20 minutes because of clots and heavy bleeding. It really put my entire life on hold.

Like @adiantum, I too will be glad when I don't have to deal with periods.  Thankfully the med I am taking has finally starting working. I haven't had to run for the bathroom in almost 4 hours as the bleeding has reduced and no massive clots are twisting my insides while coming out.  Going to have some home made low carb cream of chicken soup for dinner.

Edited by steel

Kit

I am glad to hear things aren't so bad for you now with the medication.  Hoping it ends soon.

I am so looking forward to the day it all stops and I'm done with it.  Actually I think I've felt like that since it first started, but especially so now.  :D

I do have to question the whole diabetes makes illnesses worse.  If diabetes is damaging your body, I can see illnesses being harder to overcome.  But, if you are in good control, there really shouldn't be any reason as to why.

Another example:  My brother was poorly controlled.  He would get a really minor injury like a scrape on his leg, and it could take a year to heal.  I, on the other hand, managed to step on glass twice in two days, both left decent sized gashes, and they healed up rather quick.

I broke my ankle in 2017.  After surgery, my surgeon gave me a general idea of how long it would take for me to reach various milestones.  When to go into a walking boot, when off crutches, and similar.  I was early on every single one of them.  

steel

spent the night at the hospital..hemoglobin was extremely low. just came home..resting now. BG was okay..6.4 when I was admitted..6 in the morning. i am feeling a bit better but will need lots of rest.

steel

Hey guys, thank you so much for caring! I was in really bad shape when I went to the hospital. Hemoglobin was less than half of normal numbers. I am kicking myself for not going in (much) sooner. Lesson learnt..never take period flow lightly (no pun intended lol). Ultrasound was normal, so they're thinking this could be hormone related. I am seeing a gynecologist soon. I am still not my normal self energy wise, still have some shortness of breath when walking...have to walk much slower than usual, but the day I went to the hospital I was short of breath even at rest and my heart was pounding painfully hard and fast when I even walked to the washroom. My hemoglobin still is below normal levels, but it's in the safe range..which it really wasn't when I went to the hospital.  I am thinking it'll take a while to have more energy and get back to my usual. I slowly walked a block and then returned home, will  gradually increase distances and then build up to my HIIT training and weights etc.  They also checked my lungs (for clots, other issues) and heart thoroughly to rule out alternative causes for the shortness of breath. Everything was fine. It was the perilously low hemoglobin causing problems.

Thankfully Diabetes was cooperative and my numbers were never over 6.4 at the hospital. Hope to get the proper medication and a specific diagnosis soon after seeing the gynecologist. In the meantime, I am resting, taking iron supplements, eating more meat and getting light exercise daily to build my energy reserves back up.

Edited by steel

steel

thank you! :)

concerned about targets..

so my goal at my first 3 month a1c since diagnosis was to get it below 6. i am reading for that number, i'd need fasting numbers under 100. the lowest i've had is 5.7 and more recently consistently in the low 6s with one 7 a few days back (reported above). pp numbers got better and stayed in the high 6s to low 7s 1 hours pp and below 6.7ish 2 hours pp.  i did see a few 7.8s last week 1 hour pp, hormonal upheaval may have contributed. i may not end up in the 5% club this next a1c.

it does seem like i am nowhere near the goal of getting below 100 at 2 hours pp. i am also not getting 100 and below fasting (like..whoa). i am trying to take it slow in..not expecting things to go to near normal levels within a month of diagnosis. it took a lot more than a month to develop t2d. i should give myself more time as you guys advised. it's just hard ..i guess we want instant results..instant gratification and improvements. i try to remind myself my fasting numbers are below the 120 fasting i had when diagnosed as "pre-D" several years back. i try to remind myself that my post meal numbers haven't crossed the 8 something fasting i had on diagnosis recently, since i cut out wheat which was spiking me like crazy. but i get nervous ..comparing myself to non diabetic numbers, which we are to aim for and they seem like such a pipe dream.

i am just concerned sometimes if i am being too lax/lenient with my numbers. right now, one absolute goal i don't want to stir from is not crossing the  7.8  number1 hour pp (this is a goal i am able to meet) and being in the 6s (preferably 6.7 and below..also a doable goal for me) 2 hours pp.  by the end of the month, i'd like to stay under 7 1 hour pp and below 6.7 2 hours pp.   i will try to get the fasting down to 100-105. but this number takes the most time as you guys said..so trying not to forget that.

i am also not able to exercise like i could, so that will likely impact progress as well. here's hoping even light activity is worth..something.

i've been concerned about targets and progress for sometime..so thought i'd share here.

Edited by steel

meyery2k

@steel - I think you are doing a great job.  Remember it is a marathon.  If you don't quite make it at the 3 month mark, don't be discouraged and see what happens at 6 months.

steel

i am noticing for the past two days my 1 hour and 2 hour pp numbers are very close together. tonight i had a chicken soup loaded with coconut cream. 1 hour pp i was at 6.5 and 2 hours pp only 6.2. i did a random check at 5 pm and was at 5.8. i was thinking with such a low carb meal i'd be much closer to the 5.8 2 hours pp.

for lunch, i only went down by .2 whereas usually i'd go from 7.2 to 6.6 (for example). i have even gone from 8 to 6.7. the past two days...the 2 and 1 hour numbers are way too similar. any thoughts on what might be going on? it seems odd.

i plan on asking my doctor but am pretty sure...i'll just be told the numbers are good and that's that.

Edited by steel

meyery2k

You  might find, when you get your numbers good, that you will not be diabetic (as far as symptoms are concerned) but insulin resistant.  Through observation, I have come to believe that is what is primarily wrong with me at this time.  My diabetes is in remission.  My PCP acknowledges this.   

I find if I eat rice or bread my glucose goes up to about 140 and sits there for several hours.  A normal response to insulin would be a return to pre prandial within 2 hours or even less.

When I cycle hard or long, it does seem to have a profound effect as far as providing a better response to insulin.  On those days, I can enjoy one of my favorites, fish and chips, and have a better response to that vs. when I don't cycle.  The positive benefits seem to last for a day or so.  I love to ride my bike and this just makes it that much better.

I even ate a frozen cheese cake treat once during a ride and my body didn't seem to care.  I needed all the glucose I could get my hands on I guess lol...   I ate cheesecake at a party once with no exercise and it was a disaster! 

I have come to believe that some of us are insulin resistant due to genetics which may actually be a response to being in a near starvation mode for much of our history as a species or as a response towards cold climates.  There are some compelling arguments on this.  I have come to believe that, for some of us, it is not a problem of too much glucose but too much insulin.  I have found in my Internet travels that insulin is a powerful hormone and I don't think we fully understand the roles it plays in our bodies.

I have nothing to back this up except observation.  I had a pretty prominent basal cell carcinoma on my forehead when I was first diagnosed with diabetes.  It was advanced and a skin graft was needed.  The surgeon would not perform the procedure until my diabetes was under control.  It took a few months to do that and some of that cancer actually showed signs of healing when I got my diabetes under control.  My PCP was impressed and had no explanation.  I don't either.  One school of thought is that tumors feed well on glucose.  Another school of thought is that excess insulin might foster tumor growth.  Who knows?  My PCP has stated that he has not seen any patient get things under control like I have.  Going back to a diet that is probably closer to what my ancestors followed and exercising the "bejesus" out of myself like my fellow ancestors has simply done wonders for me so far.

I am sorry this is wordy.  I find the science behind diabetes and insulin resistance simply to be fascinating.  Especially in the context that it may be a "benefit" from an evolutionary perspective.

I am really pleased to watch your progress and I think you certainly have the right attitude towards this! ~ Mike

Kit
9 hours ago, steel said:

i am noticing for the past two days my 1 hour and 2 hour pp numbers are very close together. tonight i had a chicken soup loaded with coconut cream. 1 hour pp i was at 6.5 and 2 hours pp only 6.2. i did a random check at 5 pm and was at 5.8. i was thinking with such a low carb meal i'd be much closer to the 5.8 2 hours pp.

for lunch, i only went down by .2 whereas usually i'd go from 7.2 to 6.6 (for example). i have even gone from 8 to 6.7. the past two days...the 2 and 1 hour numbers are way too similar. any thoughts on what might be going on? it seems odd.

i plan on asking my doctor but am pretty sure...i'll just be told the numbers are good and that's that.

Most likely not only will your doctors have no clue, but will have no interest in getting a clue and will feel that you shouldn't even have the right to try to get one.

Yeah, I know that sounds pessimistic, but I've yet to find a doctor who showed the slightest interest in understanding why we can get inconsistent fluctuations in behavior.  They just tell me to eat more carbs and let my numbers run higher.

I am certainly no expert, but I suspect there are a couple different factors.  One is meter repeat-ability.  All meters have fluctuations.  There will be some variance between readings, even taken at the same time.

The second, insulin resistance.  I am of the option after over 4 years of data, that insulin resistance itself fluctuates.  Sometimes we may be a little more resistant, sometimes less.  I've actually been doing some reading on how insulin resistance may have been an evolutionary protection against cold weather.  As glucose levels go higher, blood becomes thicker, and the glucose acts similar to anti freeze.  Its an interesting subject.  What I can find is still very early stages, but scientists are starting to recognize the affects of environment on our bodies beyond the usual obvious.  It could certainly explain why my numbers are usually a struggle every winter when temps really drop and come summer and 90 degree weather, my control is almost effortless.  And no, this is not exercise related.  I am usually quite active in colder weather.  When the temps go above 90, my activity is usually limited to numerous cold showers and sitting in front of a fan whining about the hot weather.  And its not food.  I am quite strict on my diet year round.  

I can go back through my logs and see different reactions to the exact same meal on two different days.  On some days, I might not even see my numbers go up much at all.  On another, I might see a significant increase followed by a swift drop (I really hate those, I feel shaky and anxious when it happens).  Or I will see a mild rise followed by a long extended plateau, and an eventual drop many many hours later. 

There are factors beyond diet and exercise which can affect what our numbers do.  And it can be so frustrating because we don't really know what they all are or how they work and most people seem to be content to have unknown factors remain unknown.  I am not personally one of those people so it can drive me a little nuts.  :)

Despite everything however, you are doing really well.  Keep graphing your progress as it will help you see it.

steel

@Kit thank you! your explanation makes a lot of sense. you're also not being pessimistic about doctors. i know my query would've been ignored. doctors get annoyed that you even dare to monitor your numbers closely and have questions. it's really a shame. i am so fortunate to have this disease in a time when online communities exist. i knew i'd be able to bring up a concern here and brainstorm ideas. we tend to know more than doctors.

i got worried i had suddenly started producing less insulin, but when i thought more i realized it was the insulin resistance itself that had fluctuated. for the past couple of weeks, when i was bleeding more on my period than i had in years..my theory is that part of it was because of increased insulin sensitivity which was showing in my fasting numbers and post prandial numbers but that changed after the bleeding got very heavy and put tons of stress on my body.  i saw some evidence of liver dumps, like a fasting of 5.8  at 8 am rising to 7 by noon, again fasting.

my fasting numbers started rising and post prandial numbers started getting more similar at 2 and 1 hour post meals as the bleeding got heavier and heavier. now since my transfusion, i haven't had a fasting lower than 6.2 and post meal numbers are still close together. i was also taking tranexamic acid to reduce bleeding, which technically isn't said to affect blood sugar.  but i wouldn't be surprised if it did affect my blood chemistry in some ways (it promotes clotting) and impacted insulin sensitivity. these are just hypotheses i am throwing out. what i do feel intuitively is that...hormonal fluctuations are still taking place in my body and that is affecting insulin resistance and blood glucose, as my period is slowly coming to an end.

it helps to see that BG control is even impacted by weather. insulin resistance being an evolutionary protection against cold temperatures does make sense to me. i am also glad to know that post prandial glucose changes with the same meal are not unusual/alarming. i also like to understand what's going on with my body. even endos sometimes are misinformed and ignorant, and we have no option but to be proactive and on top of things.

Edited by steel

steel

happy news time:

1) i can  tolerate half a cup of kidney beans with some cauli rice (1 hour pp 6.8, 2 hours pp 6.1) [ i only eat kidney beans as a once in a while treat]

2) post prandial numbers weren't super close together!

i actually got up and danced. :wub::hug: