Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

steel

diagnosed recently..and hey i am back!

steel

@meyery2k Thank you so much for the encouragement and sharing your experiences. I think a lot of problems begin with insulin resistance, which I think a lot of people have! In all my research, I am starting to see that it isn't dietary fat and cholesterol but high levels of insulin and then for t2d people subsequent high blood glucose that damages arteries and leads to heart disease. A lot of thin people also have insulin resistance, and it's these thin people who go on to later develop t2d and/or cardiovascular disease. I find that this rise in insulin resistance is because of environmental factors also. The food we eat is not the food of our ancestors. Our activity levels have also changed significantly, but I think the genetic changes are a bigger contributor to insulin resistance.

I have had insulin resistance since childhood. I firmly believe that it's insulin resistance that causes weight gain rather than the inverse. And in people where insulin resistance isn't severe enough to cause weight gain early in life, it nevertheless causes damage over the years which is why we see thin people with metabolic syndrome (high cholesterol, high BP etc.). 

When I was in my mid-late teens, I lost a lot of weight. I lost well over 60 pounds. But a year or two later when my insulin levels were checked, they were three or four times the normal levels! I hadn't regained much of that weight but still had insulin resistance. Since I wasn't fat at the time, I was told all was well and some people just had insulin resistance and it wasn't a big deal. A few years after this, I regained the weight I had lost and more! (which would come at no surprise to most of us) and that's when I got put on metformin and blamed for lacking discipline. My insulin levels at this time were also super high but FBG was normal. I am pretty damn sure my post prandial numbers were already getting messed up at this time. But the doctors kept acting like it was not a big deal. By my late 20s I had pre-D. Post 30, I have t2d fully. And I know that this five year period of Pre-D lasted because I kept control of carbs (although not as tightly as I do now but still far better than the SAD).

They keep saying Diabetes is a "pandemic" and is impacting younger and younger people. There's definitely something in our environment that is making the disease pandemic. Even though diabetes is one of the oldest recorded diseases, my theory is that it was likely autoimmune diabetes [although it too is becoming more common] because people were described as deteriorating so rapidly and not living as long, since insulin d idn't become available until recently. I am not saying Type 2 is a recent disease, but I do think its roots lie in very complex hormonal processes involving gut biome that aren't well understood. I also find that the kind of food we have available combined with having grains pushed on us by corporate funded ADA (and equivalents globally) is only furthering insulin resistance and leading to high rates of T2d and metabolic syndrome, even in the absence of frank diabetes, globally..including as I said in thin people.

The aunt I talked about developed Diabetes in her late 70s but was told she was borderline in her 60s and I can bet anything that she was insulin resistant for a while also, even if it didn't come on as fast and hard as it did for me leading to childhood and adult obesity. Fwiw, I was an active kid too. All in all I don't buy the "lifestyle" disease argument for t2d.

steel

checked blood sugar 5ish hours post meal to see if any late spikes had occurred from eating kidney beans. well..B) the answer is no. first ever 5.4 since diagnosis! checked on another finger after washing hands again..was 5.5. so officially my first ever low-mid 5s number :) if only my fasting numbers would trend lower..in due time hehe.

steel

seeing negative results in BG numbers on my third day taking provera. BG has been sitting at 6.8 for four hours. Was 6.9 @ 1 hour pp, 6.8  @ 2 hours pp and hasn't budged in 4 hours. by this time i am in the 5s. it's frustrating.

steel

@Kit got results from mri with contrast. nothing new came up. they gave a few possibilities for the white spots...migraines, demylineating ? disease (MS i assume), small vessel vasculitis (or something similar), small vessel ischemia. i have to get another mri with contrast in 6 months. the doctor doesn't think it's anything to worry, and i am hoping the next mri will be fine too.

Kit

I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are no changes next time.  I'm basically in that state myself and have been for a number of years now.

steel
3 hours ago, Kit said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are no changes next time.  I'm basically in that state myself and have been for a number of years now.

thank you so much! keeping my fingers crossed for you too. really hoping it's nothing worrisome at all for both of us.

steel

update:

a1c - 4.9 (might be a bit artificially lowered because of hemolytic anemia but meter average corresponds to around 5.3%..still great reduction in complication risk..down from 7.1 at diagnosis)

ldl- normal (down from borderline high)

hdl- lower than last time unfortunately but should go up as i get more active

kidney and liver function tests are fine. hemoglobin still low but improving.

Edited by steel

charlena andrson

Hi everyone.I want to bring awareness to some of you ,wether young or older diagnosed diabetes and warn you about alcohol ,and drug use.My son was diagnosed when he was 12. And passed away in may 2018 from not taking diabetes seriously.He struggled with depression pretty much RT out of the gate from being diagnosed.I can't even imagine what he was going through.He didn't ask for this not wanted it.and chose to ignore it and hope it would go away.as he got older he started taking drugs and drinking .most of the time not taking care of himself then 5 years ago he started vomitting and constant ER and hospitalization s and discovering he had gastripetesis.horifying.we had never heard of it .This is another form of nerve damage caused by high blood sugar.complication.excrusiating spasms  pain in the stomach .The food takes long time to digest and it sits in the stomach and rots basically.he explained to me like being stabbed in the stomach.so they started giving him atavan ,a sedative medication for anxiety formed a addiction and opioids for pain .then he started wanting more ,now treated like a drug addict not believing he was in real pain .making it all up even though he had a diagnosis and was on disability.but he did have a addiction.and he continued to drink and smoke .then last October he started getting swelling in his feet and legs and what appeared to be a blister on his heel,would not heal,went into mersa .hospitalized for 2 weeks  and then in a rehab center.more sores started forming on other parts of his body .he was then placed in a facility downtown to help him  find appropriate housing .He had  been told the day before he was going to have to get his foot  amputated.the doctors decided to add to the mix and gave him methadone and continued to give him opioids and he drank too .They found him in his room sitting up .dead.! They said it was drug toxitity,thus was to sedated to get to his insaline and died from a high blood sugar coma.I watched him struggling and nothing I could do .There's much more info out now verses when he was diagnosed..It has taken me almost a year to even share this story ,but I want to raise awareness to all the people I can.about the dangers.and how important it is ,no matter how hard it is .,so no one else's mother has to go through what I'm going through.,I want something possitive to come from this tragic story.It did not have to happen .My son I know made the choice not to take care of himself .He didn't want to be burdened by having to fit diabetes in.or appear different from his friends and live life that us other take advantage of having that freedom .He put a lot of life into a short lifetime.and I suppose he wanted that.He endured a lot of pain he was very strong.but I don't have him anymore only memories.

adiantum

Hugs Charlena .

I am sorry you have lost your son & that he had such a traumatic life.

Treasure the happy memories you have &  I hope the sad ones fade away.

Lee

adiantum

Please try to take a certain time out each day doing something that makes you feel at peace.

Music, walks, theatre, shopping or even packing a picnic or train ride.

Do things that make you feel good.

charlena andrson

I decided to move accross country to be with family ,stopped working .I was going crayzy in my mind ,depressed,no energy.I needed to rest .so I have been trying to do just those things your saying.this has just taken my life to another level.Im just so lost .

adiantum

Life cant change back to the usual after that loss. Glad you now have family support.

Be kind to yourself @charlena andrson

When the going gets really tough on me, I sit in the garden or on the beach at night & watch the stars.

Its amazing that we have this opportunity to be part of this universe..my it empower you too.

meyery2k

Charlena - What a poignant story.  I can only imagine how difficult it was to share.  If this reaches out and touches one person, then the effort was worth it. ~ Mike

janice21475

Dear Charlena, Very, very sorry for your loss. Hopefully you will be able to come to grips with the sadness and hold tight to the loving memories. Since losing my husband I have been able to visit him, almost nightly, in my dreams. There he is no longer in pain and he is happy. I know it is only a dream but it brings me happiness. Sometimes when I awake and he is not there I get a fleeting impression that he just stepped out of the room and is nearby. Oddly these moments are warm and not sad. I hope you find peace with the loss of your son.

Janice

charlena andrson

Thank you.yes I've had dreams as well.When I finally fall asleep at first all I Invision is him suffering emotionally and physically .I litterally watched it all happen .I should feel good that he's at peace and not any pain but I feel bad and guilty about not realizing what he was going through earlier on that led to this later on .his doctor never made much of a big deal about diabetes and the importantce of proper management.andvalk the emotional elements involved .esp with kids.I was in my early 20's when he was diagnosed ,I suppose I didn't have the maturity to know how serious this was.and no one educated us .so I feel part to blame.,Our kids look up to us for help and I failed him..

steel

For all the younger T2s, I've only been living the t2 life for a year, but it's honestly changed for the better. I won't downplay the anxiety and even terror I initially felt, for a few months actually. It's among the toughest things I've faced, just feeling like life had been turned upside down. It was more like that's where it was and the diagnosis turned it back up. I've had an A1c between 4.9 and 5.0 all year. I am doing well, feel healthier. It was a rough year for me, very rough. But t2 is very manageable. It feels like the end of the world, but it really isn't. It's more like the start of a better, healthier life. It sounds so cliched. It's true though. It wasn't even that my life was very unhealthy before, but I wasn't eating like people with a vulnerability to diabetes should be eating, which is basically keto IMO. Some can eat more carbs, but this is what I personally needed. The changes haven't been very drastic either.

I still eat dessert once in a while, just not ALL at once. I'll finish it over 3-4 days. I can have a few fries, 1/4th cup of rice etc. So it's like I can eat things in a measured mindful way. I can't splurge like a non diabetic, but I don't miss it.

I am glad high BG isn't damaging organs and nerves. It's a long journey. No chronic illness is easy. Diabetes isn't easy. We are fortunate to have the tools and knowledge needed to manage it in ways older diabetics didn't. We can only make the most of them, and clearly they give the results we need. So any loss of hope is temporary. You will get back on your feet. You will be okay.