Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
ran23

online scanner needed

ran23

My Lenovo Win 10 PC has found a 'variant of some nasty'.  Using ES/ET online scaner it has found something in the past and cleaned.  Now part way thru the scan, it show 'one item' then before it is finished, Windows calls for a reboot.  Panda full A/V finds nothing.  what is another free cleaner that may fix this??   thanks

dowling gram

I have 2 programs on my computer that my computer tech put on. Both are free on line. Malware bites and clean up. I don't know where to get the clean up I've got but the icon shows a hand with a duster. I run them occasionally but I think if you have a good antivirus it's the best defense. I have EST NOD32 antivirus. This is my 3rd year with all of these and so far I haven't had 1 issue. Of course I don't continue on any site NOD warns me about unless I know for certain it is a safe site.

Hammer

Ran, I know it's too late to use now, but once you get your computer back up and running the way it was, you might want to buy Rollback RX Professional. (they offer a free version, but it only allows you to take 7 snapshots, whereas the Professional version allows you to select how many snapshots you want.)

What this program does is to take a "snapshot" of all of the files and folders on your "C" drive, every time you turn on your computer.(you can change how often it takes those snapshots.)  When you first boot up your computer, you get the Rollback RX Professional splash screen before Windows starts up.  If your computer has some virus, trojan, malware, glitch, whatever when you start it up, you just reboot the computer, then when you see the Rollback RX splash screen, you press the "Home" key on your keyboard, and it brings up a menu.  Using the scroll keys on your keyboard, you can scroll down to "Restore Computer".  Once you scroll down to Restore Computer, and press enter, it brings up a list of restore dates.  I have my Rollback RX set to take 30 days worth of snapshots.  If your computer was working fine yesterday, then scroll down to that date, and press enter, and the computer will remove anything that was stored on your computer after that date, including any virus, malware, etc.  I can roll my computer back to the way it was up to 30 days ago if I wanted to.  Rollback is not the same as Windows system restore, it is far superior to it.  Rollback RX has saved me so many times in the past, that the professional version's $69 price tag was well worth it.  Once you've installed it, you don't really need to pay to keep updating it, it works fine with the original installed version.

As for the free version, I have never tried it because when I installed the professional version, they didn't offer a free version, and once I had the professional version installed, there was no need for me to try the free version when it came out.

ran23

thanks Hammer.   I also picked up a new Cable Modem, hoping that would help.   Turns out Win Update was tying things up a lot.  Still may do a roll back.