Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dowling gram

Beef stew

dowling gram

I have always loved hearty soups and stews when the weather turns cooler. Although I've found lots of low carb recipes for soup I've never found a low carb recipe for stew that I'd like to try so I haven't made it since my diagnoses. Potatoes, carrots and peas are not very diabetic friendly. Well my mouth was watering for stew and I decided to look for some veggies I thought would work in a stew. I found Kohl Rabi and zicchini and mushrooms and some thick cut round steak on sale and decided that just might work.

I sliced up 4 ribs of celery and diced an onion and sauteed them in  a bit of olive oil in my soup pot until the onions were clear. I added the cubes steak and browned it a bit in the same pot. Then I added beef broth and left it to simmer for about an hour. I cubed the Kohl Rabi and added that and some salt and pepper. Then sliced the zucchini and mushrooms. When the Kohl Rabi started to soften a bit I added both to the pot and let it simmer until everything was fork tender. I sprinkled on about 1/2 teaspoon of xanthum gum to thicken it a bit.

It made a very satisfying meal that rivaled my old stew recipe and I'll have quite a few meals from that pot of stew.

I figure there are less than 5 carbs in 1 1/2 cups of this stew

dowling gram

Forgot to add that I put in a couple of bay leaves. I had the stew again tonight and it's even better than last night

Gladtobehere

Sounds great.   

I do something similar.   But I use potato and carrot and rutabaga.  And I prefer the broth without thickening. Onion of course.  Chopped kale ,celery a lttle salt and pepper etc.  (Instead of celery try the kale stalk chopped.) Sometimes frozen veg when something fresher isn't available.

I don't mind a 20 to 30   carb meal and the potato and carrot and rutabaga are all good carb compared to bread or Timbits. Just need to be mindfull of the potato and not over do it.

We call it Stoup.

I am type 1 but it is rare to see much change in BG after this type of meal.

dowling gram

Try the Kohlrabi instead of rutabaga. Kohlrabi is a cross between cabbage and turnip but tastes like neither. It is not a root vegetable but grows above ground with just the root in the ground. Older kohlrabi like radishes tend to get woody but the smaller ones can be peeled and eaten like an apple. I think it has a sweet mild turnip taste but it blends with other vegetables better and it is lower in carbs than either turnip or rutabaga.

For years we grew it in our vegetable garden  and it's a very versatile vegetable. It can be grated and made into coleslaw and it's a great addition to soups or stews. I don't have a garden any more but I can find it in our grocery

dowling gram
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

If I can't find kohlrabi, I believe my super vegetable daikon would work.

Mike isn't it wonderful how the global marketplace has brought us food that we wouldn't otherwise have. Your Daikon radish is a product of Japan. I imagine it grows well in your climate but it wouldn't grow in ours and importing would be impossible.

Kohlrabi is a staple of Germany and some other countries. Years ago I had a Ukrainian dentist. When she learned I grew a garden she asked if I grew Kohlrabi. When I said yes she asked if I had extras. I did and I gave her some. At that time you couldn't buy it in the stores unlike now. It is not available all the time but it does freeze well.

Gladtobehere

Good point about our global village and the variety of foods available.

Personnaliy I am on the buy local, buy Canadian, buy North American plan.  (Last months peaches and cream corn was wonerful.) This is part of my climate change plan.   The rutabaga comes from a farm down the road, not flown in.   My trout is from Ontario.  Even the canned salmon is a USA product unlike all the frozen stuff from China.   

Yes I pay a little more, but when I think about my grand kids I think it's money well spent.

Besides, I like rutabaga and not all carbs are bad.......For me anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.