Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Type 2 Fighter

BG and IF

Type 2 Fighter

My situation is likely unique.  I haven’t found others w this experience. I’ve been a chronic pain patient 21 years. After 2 bouts of mono (you know, the one you can’t get twice?) I got it’s cousin, Shingles. 

July 1, 2018

i have low fat dieted-exercise yo-yo my adult life. 

July 1st I learned that I could retrieve my blood test results online.  I’ve never read them since I assumed if any issue was there, the doc would tell me. 

Records only go back 15 yrs. 

pre diabetes but Type 2 in 2009. 

Untreated Type 2 for 8 years. 

Lab oils destroying arteries & organs. Free radicals. 

Gov’t eating low fat, toast no butter, fruits, vegetables, grains etc. 

chronic pain, fatigue, depression, anxiety, stress, arthritis, inflammation

untrested Type 2 and high blood pressure, non-alcohol fatty liver disease 

high cholesterol 

doc put me on various and increasing dosages of blood pressure meds. 

He prescribed statins and metforim. I declined  both. Family hx of Diabetes, heart attacks, dementia etc. 

I low fat’d down to 206.  At 5’9”, I’ve been as high as 232lbs but hid it behind muscular body. 

July 1, LCHF 

August 1 I was surprised to discover unexpected results: 

no depression. 

Its this weird discovery of what is no longer present. I did not know this was sugar twisted. 

No anxiety. 

No more anti depressants nor anti anxiety meds. My wife also only eats Whole Foods too. It began in support of me but after being on psychotropics since a teen, she found no more depression and anxiety. 

It was the sugar.  It’s added to almost everything. 

The kids (grown) marvel at the change in her. 

I got hit w some real bad family stressors and sadness. It was not depression —it was sadness. 

Anxiety —anticipation of bad news, gone. 

Arthritis caused me to give up guitar. It’s gone. After torn rotator cuff, taking off undershirt required assistance. 

Now im up to 10 pull ups. 

Tingling sensation in toes gone. For years I blamed shoes & spent $$ trying to remedy. 

Weight loss stalls brokrn by IF. 

My body reset at 172-173.  Nothing would budge it. 

36 hour fast (my longest) broke it. 

168 lbs. 

i used ti ridicuke BMI as “anti athlete” but no longer. 

Im off the BP meds. 

Unique aspect: I’ve been on pain meds for 15 yrs.  I’ve slowly cut dosage down 75%. 

Ive dropped Advil also. Pain is so much less. 

Unfortunately, certain pain meds cause insulin resistance. 

Reducing these produces insomnia. 

Insomnia inpacts BG levels too. 

The 36 hour fast brought my fasting level of less than 20 grams of carbs daily from 105 down to 78!

my resting heart rate was 60. I have not seen that in 30 years. BP went from high normal to low normal. 

i tested a piece of bread recently in which it went up 80 points. (Einkorn flour) 

I used to have pancakes & high fructose syrup for breakfast. 

Untreated Type 2 for 8 years. 

Obesity Code has given me a new lease on life. 

Ive given every waking hour to researching medication and dietary test results. 

The level of deception, including funding, is astonishing and infuriating. 

If if I follow the AMA, I’ll follow my dad’s heart attack and ruined life. 

If if I follow the ADA, I’ll follow my sister’s Type 1 and loss of mind. She has about 2-3 hours of lucidity a day. 

I thank God that freedom of information can be found & discerned by real people, real stories and non Main Stream Media and non Corporate doctors thru the internet. 

I wonder how many Americans suffering from depression and taking meds are victims of the sugar-dopamine connection caused by companies adding it to everything. 

Obesity as hormonal. 

High: 232 lbs

current: 168 lbs. 

optimum weight?  

Im thinking lean strong 155.  

Edited by Type 2 Fighter

dowling gram

Congrats for taking control of your life. If you ever get down and are tempted to go back to the old ways remember all you went through to make the gains you have.

At 5'9'' I'd say 155 is too low a weight. Don't go by what the so called experts say you should weigh go by how you feel. If you have a good diet and a reasonable amount of exercise and you stop losing weight that's your body telling you you are at the right weight. Overweight isn't good and too thin is no good.

I have a woman friend who was 5'8" that was always very overweight and yo-yo dieted all her life. She had some medical problems and lost some weight. After that she continued to lose weight until she was skin and bones at 145. She ended up in the hospital and they kept her there until she gained 10 pounds. Then she not only felt better but looked better too. She made a lifestyle change and yo-yoing was a thing of the past.

Keep up the good work. You won't be sorry!

meyery2k

@Type 2 Fighter- You, sir, have earned your handle!  Well done!  I had to lose a lot of weight.  I was morbidly obese.  I wanted to get down to what the BMI said was normal (which would have been around 180 for my height IIRC).  I managed to get below 200 and did not feel well at all.  Constantly grouchy and my daughter thought I looked too thin.

I got back into cycling big time and my friend/coach advised that I try letting the weight go when I mentioned my trouble to him.  He pointed out that being highly active needs a lot of calories and any weight I gain would be likely muscle and not fat.  To quote, "People that ride their bikes 50km a day can eat".  I took his advice in faith.  My weight stabilized at around 212 pounds and I feel great.  I think I am a little heavier than I should be but doctor, friends and family, and my performance while working, running, and cycling, would tend to not agree with that sentiment.

dowling gram

If you want pancakes you can have them--I do. I make a syrup with splenda water and maple flavoring. I powder 1 cup of splenda in my nut grinder and put it in a pot. I add 1 cup of water and a dash of maple extract and bring to a boil. I sprinkle on 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of xanthum gum and let it thicken a bit. Remove from heat and refrigerate. I often double this. It's as good as any store bought syrup

For the pancakes

1tablespoon butter melted

2 eggs beaten

1/4 cup almond flour

1/4 cup flax meal

1 teaspoon baking powder

almond milk or half and half

In a bowl melt the butter in the microwave(about 5 or 10 seconds). Add the eggs and beat with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients and beat. Add enough cream or almond milk to make it pancake batter consistency. Heat the oil for frying--I like coconut oil. Use the 1/4 cup measure to ladle them into the pan and cook like regular pancakes. I get 4 pancakes from this. You can use all almond flour but it adds a few more carbs

dowling gram

That's OK if you live in the USA but if you live in another country those sugar free low carb products are hard to come by

6 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

I use Carbquik and Walden Farms syrup. Quick and easy. Worth the cost to me.

Kit
2 hours ago, dowling gram said:

That's OK if you live in the USA but if you live in another country those sugar free low carb products are hard to come by

IMO they're not worth it unless you enjoy the taste of flavored chemicals.  At least in regards to the Walden farms stuff.  Not tried Carbquik.

steel

@TX_Clint sorry a bit off topic but love that your hba1cs are so great, 20 years post t2d diagnosis. very encouraging for younger t2ds like me :)

@dowling gram trying that pancake recipe soon. and loving the syrup recipe. which powder did you mean when you said 1 powder 1 cup splenda? thanks!

dowling gram

1 hour ago, steel said:

@dowling gram trying that pancake recipe soon. and loving the syrup recipe. which powder did you mean when you said 1 powder 1 cup splenda? thanks!

I said 1 cup of powdered Splenda you must have read the I for a 1. I whirl it in my spice grinder-- a ninja bullet would also work or some coffee grinders would work too-- to make a powdered sugar. You can buy powdered sweeteners or you can make it with the granular but it will be a bit gritty because sweeteners don't liquefy like regular sugar.

I use my Cusinart spice grinder a lot. I buy blanched sliced almonds at costco for $12.49 for 700 grams and grind my own meal. It not only cheaper but makes a finer blend than the meal you buy. I buy whole flax seeds and grind them. The seeds don't mold as easily as the meal does. I keep both the Almond flour and ground flax in the fridge and freeze the seeds until I'm ready to grind them. I make nut butters with it and grind unsweetened coconut to make coconut flour It's one of the best investments I've made since becoming a Diabetic.