Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

lgvincent

How do I extend the life of Dexcom G5 sensors?

lgvincent

I've just started using the Dexcom G5 but I only receive four sensors per month.  Since each sensor last only seven days and most months are a bit longer than that, I'm curious as to how to make the four last the entire month.  I've seen stories of people claiming they can make a sensor last 28 days or more.  I'm hoping to get at least 10 but maybe up to 14 days from each since it would be easier to remember to change it on the same day every other week.  I'm curious to know how one can "trick" the transmitter and receiver into thinking I've inserted a new sensor after seven days when in fact I'm trying to get the one already in use to last another three to seven days.  I've "heard" than one needs to stop the sensor and then go through the steps required when one inserts a new sensor.  However, in looking through the "Getting Started Guide", I was under the impression that if I stop a sensor it will stop working at that point and one can not get it to restart.  In order to get the sensor to last a few more days, do I use the "Stop Sensor" function and then go through the steps taken when a new sensor is inserted or do I do it some other way? 

Tribbles

The sensor has no intelligence. What you are doing is telling the transmitter that you are stopping the sensor and swapping it. The transmitter has no way of knowing if that is true and believes you so it behaves as if there is a new sensor even though it's still the old one. Alternately you can use third party apps that never time out sensors and do more, but are not FDA approved.

lgvincent
27 minutes ago, Tribbles said:

The sensor has no intelligence. What you are doing is telling the transmitter that you are stopping the sensor and swapping it. The transmitter has no way of knowing if that is true and believes you so it behaves as if there is a new sensor even though it's still the old one. Alternately you can use third party apps that never time out sensors and do more, but are not FDA approved.

Thank you.  Since I can't trust the sensors in use for less than a week, I've found no reason to try to extend the life of a product that is already highly inaccurate. 

CpVan

Do people not like the Dexcom sensors? I have used the Medtronic sensors with little success so want to try something else.....

lgvincent
On 12/14/2018 at 12:31 PM, CpVan said:

Do people not like the Dexcom sensors? I have used the Medtronic sensors with little success so want to try something else.....

Well, I'm disappointed to hear that.  I was hoping to Medtronic and the 670G.  I've had people say the Dexcom is supposed to be the most accurate of the continuous glucose monitors but I have a lot of trouble with it.  When I saw the endo earlier this month, I was told that for some, the darn things just don't work.  Perhaps I'm one.  I have to calibrate the thing twice a day and I still check with a meter whenever the monitor says I'm high or low (it gives lower readings than the meter so I can't treat an insulin reaction based on it since my blood sugar is often not low according to the meter when the monitor says it is.  

CpVan
3 hours ago, lgvincent said:

Well, I'm disappointed to hear that.  I was hoping to Medtronic and the 670G.  I've had people say the Dexcom is supposed to be the most accurate of the continuous glucose monitors but I have a lot of trouble with it.  When I saw the endo earlier this month, I was told that for some, the darn things just don't work.  Perhaps I'm one.  I have to calibrate the thing twice a day and I still check with a meter whenever the monitor says I'm high or low (it gives lower readings than the meter so I can't treat an insulin reaction based on it since my blood sugar is often not low according to the meter when the monitor says it is.  

I had to calibrate every few hours with the Medtronic sensors but perhaps they were the older ones. I got some that flat out just didn’t work and I got annoyed with having to call the company for replacements all the time! But maybe different sensors just work for different people as you say!