Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

Cable or Dish w/ Internet??

ran23

Currently using Charter Cable, 2 x DVR and Internet (just picked up a new Modem). Charter is due to raise their prices.  I have already dropped all movie channels.  Looking at Dish prices, almost half of what I am paying now.   Is their Internet fast enough?    (using Amazon Fire Stick for movies now).   thanks all

Hammer

I am a cable user, but my neighbor is a dish user.  While I don't like the fact that the cable company is constantly raising their fees, it's not the cable companies fault, it's the cable stations that charge the cable companies more to carry their programs, so if you were to get a Dish, they would have to raise their fees also.  If you do decide to go to Dish, make sure you read the fine print, and ask them a lot of questions first.  From what I've been told, once you go to Dish, you pay a low initial fee, then they begin to raise the rates until you end up paying more for Dish than you would have for cable.  I don't know the Dish plans where you live, so ask a lot of questions, and if possible, talk to others in your area that have Dish.  I asked my neighbor how the reception was using the dish and he said it was just as good as cable.  I asked him how the dish reception was in bad weather, and he said it was terrible.

As for internet, I think that cable internet is a lot better than DSL, and the speeds that you can get with cable internet are much faster than DSL. (Of course, you pay more for faster speeds, but at least they are available if you want them.)  I also don't like the fact that you need to place a filter on each of your phone lines if you use DSL.  To achieve the higher internet speeds with DSL, they need to increase the voltage running through your phone lines, and that higher voltage would damage your phones, so you need to place a filter, or whatever they call it, on each phone line as it comes out of the wall to your phone.

Gladtobehere

We just moved.  We dropped cable tv and only continued with unlimited internet.   We use youtube , netflix and a couple of local tv station on demand offerings .  Netflix is the only paid subscription. CHROMECAST and smartphone as a remote.

I also installed an OTA HDTV ANTENNA on the roof.  I get about 20 free HD broadcast stations.  FREE.

Also using CHROMECAST AUDIO and internet radio app through my rejuvinated 70s audio sysyem.  Enjoying the 70s internet radio.   Not all great music but sure brings back good memories.

buddy7
16 hours ago, Hammer said:

I also don't like the fact that you need to place a filter on each of your phone lines if you use DSL.  

I’m a DSL user, about 2 years ago, was having no end of problems with my ex-provider, so I change internet provider to DSL and in the same package also had my landline phone provider change as well. Before the changeover, had 3 phones in my house, 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs, all had filters attached, on installation my new landline phone provider, installed a new filter, next to where the phone cable enters the house, which replaces all those filters I had attached to my phones.

Had no problems since then, with the landline phones and an excellent reception on my internet and things are much quicker.

filter.JPG

TX_Clint

Landlines? You guys still have those? I have a cell phone, the wife has a cell, kids have cells, grand kids have cells. In fact my son is 42 and has never had a landline in his house. 

Kit

I still keep a land line for one and only 1 reason.

I do not give out my cell phone number to anyone other than friends, family, and work.  We never actually answer our land line.  It goes straight to voice mail and then that voice mail is emailed to both Mr Fuzzy and myself.

Something I enjoy seeing is that the newer generations have no problem allowing a call to go into voice mail.  I've seen my mother swerve across multiple lanes of traffic, including lanes going the wrong direction, trying to get her cell out of her purse in time to answer it before it stops ringing.  Scariest moment of my entire life.  She has caller ID.  She has voice mail.  You never actually miss a call anymore but she is unable to comprehend that.

I, on the other hand, will not answer a call from a number I don't recognize.  And even if I do recognize it, I will not answer it unless I feel like talking to that person.  Unless its work.  *sigh*  I wish I could leave those unanswered.

Voice mail and caller ID are the best features ever.  :)

OneEye
2 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Landlines? You guys still have those?

I do! Why? Because it's a PHONE! It's an AT&T Slimline from Radio Shack, $9.98. Through California Lifeline it costs me $8 a month. I tried one of those wallet-sized phones you can never remember where you put...but got frustrated trying to figure out the best place to stick it next to my head so I could hear anything. I've never been one who thought it was a good idea to buy something just because it's for sale.

Other perks I like about my Slimline? It's always where I hung it and it never needs charging. If I ever, which I doubt, need to use a phone when I'm out and about...I'll just ask the guy next to me. Seems everyone's got one of these dang things. :)

Kit

Sorry, I refuse to allow a stranger to touch my cell phone.  If you have an emergency and need to use my phone, you give me the number and I'll put it on speaker.

OneEye
4 hours ago, Kit said:

Sorry, I refuse to allow a stranger to touch my cell phone.  If you have an emergency and need to use my phone, you give me the number and I'll put it on speaker.

Not a problem. The chances of me askin' you to use your phone are 1 in 327,495,591...as of last Wednesday. :)

buddy7
18 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Landlines? You guys still have those? I have a cell phone, the wife has a cell, kids have cells, grand kids have cells. In fact my son is 42 and has never had a landline in his house. 

Know where you’re coming from Clint! Landlines have been a pain in the butt to me for some time now, every time I made a decision to get rid of them, the dear lady thinks different. They are costing me a fortune. As like yourself, all the family have cell phones, including my wife and grands. Why on earth do I still need a landline phone, it’s beyond me.

Read somewhere a prediction analyst stated landlines will be gone by 2030, sorry, I’ll be well gone before then.:(

Gladtobehere

Landline powered phones may be gone but DSL still uses the same twisted pair wire for internet delivery.

I am still not aware of a new housing development where they put up a cell tower and not run a bunch of copper.

We kept our landline for quite a while after cell phones due to the very good battery support when there was a wide spread power outage.

BUT,   aside from many telemarketing calls  who would I call?    Everyone else has cell phones.😊

Hammer

I think that most people here know of my aversion to cell phones.....I think that they should be banned.  No one NEEDS a cell phone, they are just an expensive convenience.  I have a landline, and I like the fact that when I walk out of the house, the landline stays here.  If anyone calls me when I am out, they can leave a message on my answering machine.  No one is so important that they need to able to be contacted 24/7.  Cell phones have destroyed the social etiquette of the country, and I find that unacceptable.  You can be talking to someone in public, and they stop talking to you to either answer their cell phone, or to read and answer a text message....as if you are unimportant.  Go into any restaurant and look at the patrons there.....they all have their faces buried in their cell phones....including their kids.  My friend and I often meet somewhere for dinner, and she knows how much I hate cell phones, so she always points out to me while dining, all of the people with their faces buried in their cell phones, ignoring the other people that are at their table.  What the heck is so important that they need to have their faces buried in their cell phones all of the time?

Watching TV commercials for cell phones that advertise that you can get a cell phone for $50 a month for one line, when I can get a wall phone for $30 a month, and I can leave the wall phone at home when I go out, seems like a no brainer to me.  If I use my landline phone 3 times a month, that's a lot, and those three times are usually to make an appointment at the doctor or dentist's office.  I rarely call anyone, and no one ever calls me, and that's how I like it.

To put it into perspective, every cell phone call a person makes....if they didn't have a cell phone and had to stop and use a pay phone (if we still had pay phones), would they still make that phone call?  NO, they wouldn't, so why make the call?....oh, because they have a cell phone and it's right there in front of them, so why not use it, right?  What a waste of time....

Gladtobehere

Don't forget there are other old hermits like me that agree with you 99%.   But own and use smart phones and rarely or never make calls just to talk and waste time like many younger people.

I also use it regularly to stay in touch with my grand daughter.  ( She usually replies to text almost immediately. )

It is also nice to have a cell phone for emergencies.  Which is how I first got into it.

I am spending $30 - $50 a month for calling text an a little data with no contract.

When you are out and discover that the schedule changed without notice  it is sure handy to have a phone so you don't need to drive home.

Thankfully we both live in countries where we have a choice. 

buddy7

My friend age has nothing to do with it? I’m all for new technology, the smartphones, a smarts TV with all its attachments, play stations, cars with all the fancy gadgets, including GPS and car phone. i-pads/tablets and of course our lap-top and PC, Banking and the list goes on, kind of, be missing out, without them, you’ll probably go around the block for a good walk with the diabetes thing, (Phone in pocket) but having done so, you’re back to this world of technology.

I love my smartphone, when I first got it, my daughter installed this family app for me, called “WhatsApp “This allows you to have individual calls and text to all family members without no accessibility to others. With 6.8 billion subscriptions I want to be part of that technology.

These devices are not limited to just make phone calls and send text messages, you can also use these phones to surf the Internet; which offers a plethora of entertainment options to choose from.

Even an old codger like me, I’m privileged to have a choice.

Hammer

I guess I look at things differently, since I hate cell phones.  When I go out, it's for a specific purpose....grocery shopping, go to the bank, go visit my daughter or a friend, etc.  There is no reason for me to surf the internet when I am away from home, I can do that when I get home and can devote all of my attention to it.  I don't own a smart TV, or a Playstation, I don't bank on line, since I don't want my bank account to be hacked into and all of my money stolen, I don't own an iPad or similar device, if I go for a walk, I sure as heck don't want that walk interrupted by a cell phone call or text.  

And as I mentioned above, because people are using their cell phones for all of these things, is why cell phones have destroyed the social etiquette of our society.  I am always amused when I see someone staring into their cell phone while walking and they walk into a wall or a pole....I mean, can't they just stop walking to view what's on their cell phone, or, put the cell phone away and pay attention to what they are doing?  

My daughter got me a cell phone, and it's on her plan, so the phone belongs to her.  She got me this phone because there are no more pay phones, and if my car breaks down, I wouldn't be able to call anyone unless I had a cell phone.  The phone is sitting in front of me on my computer desk, and I rarely pick it up.  It is always turned off, and I never use it.  I think that when the contract expires on it, I'll give it back to her, since I have no use for it....it's just taking up desk space.  Heck, I don't even know what the cell phone's phone number is, and I don't care, since I'll never receive a call on it, being that's it's always turned off, so I guess my daughter's reason for getting me this cell phone was a waste of time, since I don't carry it with me everywhere I go like everyone else feels they have to do.

I'd like to make a challenge to everyone who owns a cell phone.  I'll bet them that they can't leave their cell phone at home for 7 days.  By that I mean, leave your cell phone at home, regardless of where you go, and only use the cell phone when you get home.  I'll bet that not ONE person can do that, and to me, that's sad.

OneEye

@Hammer I get it. I get the push back to all the "cute" technology. We live in a world that's expanding, technology-wise, exponentially. I mean...without this technology, you and I will have never spoken. With that said...

Awhile back my sister emailed me. Said she had a deal on a Tracfone with 1034 minutes for a year with Verizon...free to me. She wanted me to have it because she'd rather I "text" her than email her. I told her I had no use for a cellphone. She said, "You'll love these...they can do so much!" I told her...."I've got "do so much" covered, I'll pass." She wouldn't take no for an answer...and had it sent to me.

In the year of minutes that came with the phone I used 19 minutes out of the 1034 minutes before the Verizon account went dead. But...I also have a ASUS WiFi that allows me to use the phone to connect with the Internet using my Comcast Internet account. The phone has this "voice" thing...where when I'm watching a movie and see someone who I think is in the movie...I touch "Voice Search" and it goes to "Listening" and I say..."Deadpool...full cast". Voilà...it brings up IMDb and others that show me that the dude I thought was T.J. Miller as Weasel...was actually T.J. Miller. I don't have to go over to my computer, fire it up, go to Google and do a search on this. All I really "have" to do is keep this puppy charged.

It's a tool and I use it as such. I've also downloaded a widget timer I use for cooking. Like I say...it's a tool.

buddy7

Have to say Hammer, “to coin a phrase”, we’re on different sides of the road again on this topic. If my memory serves me right, which I think it has. Way back we had a “cell phone” thread by Kit, at the time I must have read all your responses and quite frankly nothing has changed your views. Again I have to respect your views, they are some differences here which will never be eradicated from your thoughts, those, you have my utter respects. Today I’m not here to change your hatred for the cell phone, I just like sharing a practical interest on the post.

On a personal note for some years now we’ve shared and exchange views on various topics, and please don’t take this the wrong way. I’ve always found you smart, intelligent and above all willing to help all with your brilliant suggestions, for this you have my thanks and greatest respects. The kind of guy once something kicks around in your head, it becomes almost impossible to change your stance or be persuasive. This has to be appreciated.

Today I see the cell phone a contributed factor by NASA nautical advanced communication satellite technology, which in my opinion has made our world a better and safer place, to compete with the world’s battery of communications in current war-torn uprisings we see around the world today. Look we just have to be competitive. With 6.8 billion subscriptions Globally can we all be wrong.

Some year ago before my retirement, my day started by opening this huge factory for the workers, on that day, It was about 04.45 hrs, sat at my desk to have my first morning coffee, within minutes a knock at my office door by the transport Manager, he stated there’s an accident at the despatch bay, driver reversing knock one of my staff over. Urgency was the essence, put my coffee down, grab my cell phone, on the way to the area of the accident, I made a call to the emergency services they told me having got to this guy stay on the phone so we can get a running account on how he was. As I got to the scene of the accident found this guy laying on the floor in a mangled position, with blood pouring from his calf muscle in agony, still on my cell phone, explained the condition of this poor guy laying on the floor, the emergency services operator stated, stay on the phone until the paramedics get there, which wasn’t long. Within 2 minutes or so the paramedics arrive, examined the guy and took him to Hospital, then my call ended. Later, from the Hospital we were told, this guy had a punctured calf muscle and bruised ribs. Would like to think the urgency of my cell phone call, contributed to getting this guy to the Hospital quickly. (Probably told the story before)

Getting back to technology: An analogy, the Rolls-Royse motor car one of the most prestige cars ever manufactured, elite in all descriptions in my opinion, never own one but driven one. With the world of technology do you think the scientist and the engineers would turn the clocks back and put a set of square wheels on this car? Incomprehensible, this won’t happen.

There’s no way you’ll have me leaving my cell phone at home for 7 days. You’ve got that right, most cell phone users, won’t. But thinking of it, it’s kind of sad !!!!!

Hammer

The reason that I made the above challenge is because, that's how I live....no cell phone, just a wall phone, and I wanted to see if anyone wanted to try and see what it's like living the way I do...cell phone free, just like everyone did some 20 plus years ago before we had cell phones.  I frequently see or hear people who go on vacation someplace remote that doesn't offer cell phone connectivity (no nearby cell phone towers) and the people who do this often comment on how great it was to not have a cell phone constantly ringing, or receiving text....it was quiet and relaxing, so my thoughts were, why not do that all of the time and leave your cell phones at home?

Yes, cell phones are a convenience, but in the case that you mentioned Buddy, with the injured worker...if we didn't have cell phones, there would have been a landline in that injured worker's area.  Before cell phones, companies had landline phones everywhere, since every department needed a way to contact the other departments.

What you said OneEye, that's another reason that I say that cell phones are a convenience.  You used it to look up an actor that you saw in a movie....others use their cell phones for similar things, but to me, I can wait till I get home to look up those things, I don't need to know it right now.....not to mention that if I am home, cell phone usage is sketchy at best, since my phone only shows 1 bar.  When my daughter lived with me, she tried out four different cell phones in my house, and they all showed just one bar.  She had to go out and stand on my back porch with her cell phone held up high in the air, in order for her to make a phone call.....yeah, that sounds like something that I need...NOT!  OneEye, your usage of a cell phone is almost the same as mine.:)

If a person gets a text message, they have to answer it right now....they can't wait 10 minutes until they are not busy and are free to answer the text.  I think that that might stem from most people's inability to not answer a ringing phone.  I rarely answer a ringing phone...they can leave a message on my answering machine.

There is also what I call the nag factor.  If someone texts you or calls you on your cell phone, they expect you to answer the phone right now or text them back right now.  If you don't respond right away, they get angry....as if you have nothing better to do than to answer your cell phone.  With my wall phone, if someone calls me, they can leave a message on my answering machine, and I'll call them back when I feel like it (maybe never).

It will be interesting to see what happens when telemarketers start flooding everyone's cell phones with their telemarketing garbage.  People sitting in at a business meeting will have their cell phones ringing like crazy, people driving down the road will have their cell phones ringing, etc.  Remember, telemarketers know that you'll have your cell phone on you 24/7, and you can't identify who they are when they call, so you'll answer the phone to see who it is, right?  It'll get so bad that people will start turning off their cell phones, thereby rendering them useless.  With their phones turned off, they won't receive any text messages or phone calls, so their cell phones will begin to have less and less usability.  Think of it...to everyone that has a cell phone, how would you react if it was ringing every 10-15 minutes with a call from a telemarketer?  Cell phones will become an over priced wall phone.  The only difference will be that they can turn on their cell phones to make a call from where ever they are.

OneEye

In my opinion...technology is what it is. I'm sure there was a time when one caveman showed another how to make a better spear tip. The Clovis people...in mention. Thing is...is it applicable to you? Does it enhance your reality or not? In my opinion...having a phone handy when you NEED it...is an absolute. Having it as an accessory to your lifestyle...whatever! It's 2018...not 1918.

adiantum

I have no problems in being tracked by my cell phone , probably because I'm just  a boring old puff of wind.

I mostly use it to book a taxi , so if that driver  kidnaps me, then my phone will tell the police where I was.

I also use it to text.

There is  a creepy man in jail here for a viscous murder he was paid to do  on a woman's husband.

I used to see him around town often while sitting at the bus stop I'd observe his unusual mannerisms.

He stood out because of his odour & that he was always on the phone . He'd go behind buildings or down lanes after those phone calls.

How good that phone pinged each time the car he was in took him to the scene of the murder.

Re that video.. I'd be very uncomfortable having a sheriff constantly twiddle his thumbs like that one did.

buddy7
On 11/8/2018 at 10:10 PM, Hammer said:

Yesterday, had to give you a thought, must have just pulled into the gas station/petrol station to full up, a call came through on my Bluetooth car phone, came up on the screen my Bank HQ, message it was pretty garbled, couldn’t understand what was being said, so I end the call. Got to my next destination pull over in the car-park, rang my Bank HQ, after taking me through security, they were more than pleased to hear I’ve reported the call. I was told at no time at all, no call was recorded from the Bank to me. Got to be a hoax caller, especially being yesterday was “Black Friday”. My Bank ended the call, by saying to be careful, this time of the year, today being Black Friday, do not exchange your Bank details to anyone on the phone. Does my Bank think I’m that gullible???? Stupid if you ask me.

Appreciate what your video illustrated, once you've got a cell phone on, frankly, they STINGRAY can track you down wherever you are!!! Point taken.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.