Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kit

Kit's Keto Eggs Florentine

Kit

Fritters are done, numbers are run.  I plan on having this for lunch.

For those who might not know.

Eggs Benedict are basically toasted english muffin. On top layer sliced ham, poached egg, hollandaise sauce, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.

Eggs Florentine is basically the exact same thing except sauteed spinach instead of the ham.

I decided to make this keto friendly by mashing up my usual Creamed Spinach and Eggs along with the Zucchini Fritters from Slim Palate

The idea for me is that I adore eggs benedict, but making the sauce from scratch is time consuming and I hate poaching eggs.  I love to eat them, I just hate the work involved and I always screw them up.

You can get the zucchini fritter recipe here:

http://slimpalate.com/zucchini-fritters-paleo-grain-free-gluten-free/

I find I get about 4 fritters per medium zucchini.  I worked out the numbers for 1 serving being 2 fritters or 1/4 the recipe

I personally don't bother with the lemon juice.

A couple minor adjustments to that recipe.  I cooked the fritters in butter.  I will not cook with nut oils.  They are too unstable under heat.  I am not a fan of the flavor of coconut oil unless it is fitting for the recipe itself.  I don't like the refined coconut oil for a number of reasons, but one of them is that it tastes like wax to me.  Very unappetizing.  I adore the flavor of butter and ghee however.  Bacon fat or lard would also be excellent fats to use.  However, you can use whatever you like.

Creamed Spinach and Eggs (makes 1 serving)

2 cups raw baby spinach

1oz White Button Mushrooms (about 2 medium mushrooms)

2 Tbsp Heavy hipping Cream

1 Tbsp chopped Red Bell Pepper

1/2 Tbsp salted butter (for cooking)

2 large eggs

Add butter (or fat of preference) to skillet and saute mushrooms and peppers until soft or done to your liking.

Add in spinach.  It will wilt within 1-2 minutes.  Stir well.

Add in hwc and simmer for a couple minutes for it to thicken a little.

Spread mixture out in the skillet and create 2 wells.

Crack and egg in each well

Keep simmering until the white starts to harden but the yolk is still runny.  I usually cook for a couple of minutes with the lid off, and then a few more with the lid on.  Leave the lid on too long and the yolk cooks too quickly.  Want those runny yolks.

To serve:

Put two fritters on a plate.

Top each fritter with the creamed spinach mixture.

Top each with an egg.

Sprinkle each one with either paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, or what ever you prefer.

(I also like putting the spinach mixture over the eggs instead of under.)

Nutritional Information

465 Calories

Fat:  38g

Carbs:  9g   Fiber:  3g

Protein:  22g

Percentages: 

74% Fat

8% Carbs

19% Protein

Yes, I know it adds up to 101%.  That is error due to rounding.

Percentages were calculated using total carbs, not net.

I have been doubling or tripling the zucchini fritter recipe anymore.  I store extras in the fridge and they warm up wonderfully in a dry skillet or toaster oven.  They never seem to last very long as they are excellent IMO and work as a side for just about any meal.

Yes, I know you can use other alternative breads in place of the fritters, but they give the benefit that these really taste good and add more veggies!  :)

For anyone interested in the components but not the entire dish

Zucchini Fritters (2 fritters or 1/4 the recipe)

Calories:  151

Fat:  12g

Carbs:  4g

Fiber:  1g

Protein:  7g

Creamed Spinach and Eggs

Calories:  314

Fat:  26g

'Carbs:  5g

Fiber:  2g

Protein:  15g

Anyone remember the infamous shoot on a Shingle (creamed chipped beef on toast)?  Same concept should work here.

Edited by Kit