Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

MalteseMom

Let's get reacquainted

MalteseMom

Hello all.  As I try to become familiar with this site and it's new look and function, I can see a few names I recognize. I'm hoping to find my wonderful support I found her years ago.

I joined this website in 2013 and brought my A1C into line and lost 37 lbs in 3 months.  I found all kinds of great people here who offered support in all areas of my life.  One would think life would now rosy, right? Well, I'm sad to say (to those who tried to help me when I realized my marriage was dropping into the tank) that my divorce was final Apr 2017 after we separated in 2015. He moved into the camper in our yard. My heath improved while the truth about my marriage became more undeniable.  My husband and my best friend of 9 years.... 

It's been an awful journey but God keeps his promise and goes before me.  I don't always follow Him like I should, but it is a journey, right?  In the course of this journey, I had to again readjust my way of eating.  $$$ being one of the biggest factors.. Anyway, In short, I learned I must be really, really carb sensitive cuz if I eat more that 15 carbs per day, my whole system objects.  My head gets brain fog, I blow up like a puffer fish and the depression....well, you know.  I've ignored the first signs cuz I was handling other stressors and so now I've gained about 10 lbs that just jumped to my midsection....looks like the typical beer belly...Need my wonderful friends here to help me get back on track.

I can't afford supplements and special foods now.  And apparently I am having issues getting back to ketosis.  My metformin is also causing diarrhea when I do try to eat right....help!

OneEye

Welcome back. I've re-orientated your profile avatar and sent it to you in a private message. Those get placed sideways because of the way the phone transfers portrait images.

MalteseMom

But it still sideways.. I never turn my phone to landscape to take a picture but every great once in a while this happens and I don’t know why or how I can fix it with my phone. I have an Apple iPhone

janice21475

Welcome back, MM,

Glad you braved the new format and are reunited with us.  Hope you have no problem, now that you have our love & support, to drop those pesky 10 lbs. You can do it! What do you have the most trouble with? Food choices, portion size or something else? Don't worry, things will get better, talk to you soon, Janice

OneEye
15 minutes ago, MalteseMom said:

But it still sideways.. I never turn my phone to landscape to take a picture but every great once in a while this happens and I don’t know why or how I can fix it with my phone. I have an Apple iPhone

Try this...let's see if we can confuse the system! :)

brenda3.jpg.621d336a8c7482766aad9c3d9b8f8fb1.jpg

adiantum
2 hours ago, adiantum said:

The new life certainly suits you.. you look years younger now.

Well done.

brenda3.jpg.621d336a8c7482766aad9c3d9b8f8fb1.jpg.71e1e6c23f7df87876bbe5846550e12b.jpg

MalteseMom

Thank you!  It only took me 20 years, two cancers, one total here for replacement, one L4/L5 Fixation/fusion Surgery & type 2 D  to regain my health and lose my marriage.  But all things considered other then a shortage of money I am much happier. I have my two furbabies, Scooter and Elijah,  and when we lay down at night I don’t have to worry about who they have been sleeping with 

MalteseMom

Hi Janice!  Thanks for the welcome. My trouble started with just one little cheat at a time. A change of schedule, eating out more with friends or being invited to a friends house for dinner… Best friend is a chef. You know   Trying to find a little comfort here and I’m gonna comfort there.  It’s taking about three years to catch up with me. I thought I was having reactions two carbs and then it wouldn’t go away, but all of a sudden… Pow! It wasn’t just carb gas & bloat, it was carb weight around the middle. 

Before I had to deal with divorce shoes I had money to buy whatever supplement I needed and I ate all of my meals at home.  Now that it’s just me I hate cooking so I really do need to get back to healthier choices.

I have recently changed doctors and my cholesterol numbers were within 7 pts  off normal, But my triglycerides were quite high And my doctor wants to put me back on statins I’m sure I will have to deal with that in January. I wanted also to get a different supplement to Medicare like Aetna But they refuse me because of the Metformin. 

When I first started low-carb high-fat I could not understand ketosis.  But are used to really enjoy sitting down to dinner and being surrounded by Tanner 15 small high fat foods while my now ex-husband enjoyed the dinner I cooked for him. 

I was completely sold on low carb high fat and I really need to get back to that. I guess I need to cut through the stress to find me again… Thanks for listening.

TX_Clint

I’ve never heard of an issue with metformin. I do have a plan d that will no longer cover my invokana so I will need to switch back to jardiance. I have A,B,G and D coverage.

One issue I have noticed is the dosage of metformin. 1000 mg pills are not covered but 500 mg is about $5 for as many as you want. So I take 4 500’s a day.

MalteseMom

Tx-_clint  yes mine too… Are used to take 1000 a day and head to change it to 500 twice a day. But it definitely gives me the side affect of diarrhea… Ugly explosive diarrhea with very little warning. Metformin  also is an automatic rejection by Aetna for Plan F coverage  no matter how long the A1 C has been controlled and no matter if the highest it’s ever been has been 7.1. I was just over the number to be labeled diabetic. The doctor put me on meds because my fasting glucose numbers were slowly climbing 

Dave_KC

Hi @MalteseMom and welcome back.  I'm not sure I was around when you were here.  

And speaking of Maltese...  He's a Yorkie/Maltese mix.  

22096236_10212743946447664_4143940107890923878_o.jpg

MalteseMom

He’s such a cutie!  If I didn’t have Maltese my next choice would be a Yorky. I have friends that have them and they are so cute

MalteseMom

Glad to meet you!  I’m glad to be back! The people on this site were so supportive and helpful to me not only in getting my A-1 C under control but even when my marriage became unbearable and I discovered he was cheating with my best friend, but then life got away for me and so now I’m back. I look forward to getting to know you better and everyone else. One of the reasons that I left before is that everybody was posting every thing under I don’t know chat or miscellaneous or something I could not find information and I was too stressed to look very far but I do know even if I have to go back into the archives if it still accessible the information is there I just got to learn this new format. God bless and have a good dayI look forward to getting to know you better and everyone else. One of the reasons that I left before is that everybody was posting every thing under I don’t know chat or miscellaneous or something I could not find information and I was too stressed to look very far but I do know even if I have to go back into the archives if it still accessible the information is there I just got to learn this new format. God bless and have a good day

9533BE8E-E854-442E-BFC0-CAD27C10E03B.jpeg

Dave_KC
6 hours ago, MalteseMom said:

He’s such a cutie!  If I didn’t have Maltese my next choice would be a Yorky. I have friends that have them and they are so cute

Well...  he's both!  :)

Hammer

Hi there MalteseMom, and welcome back to the forums!

First, you say that the metformin is giving you diarrhea, so that makes me wonder if the metformin you are now taking is made by the same company that made the metformin that you took in the past....before you developed diarrhea from it.  It's typical that, when you get metformin from your pharmacy, that they often switch to a different manufacturer of it, and the new manufacturer makes it differently than your old manufacturer, which is why I have always said that generics are garbage compared to the name brand. (if the name brand doesn't cause diarrhea and the generic brand does, then how can the generic be the same as the name brand?)

Also, since you said that you need to eat less than 15 carbs a day to get your glucose levels under control, I can't help but wonder if it might be better for you to switch from taking metformin, to using insulin....if your insurance covers it?  Using insulin allows you to eat more carbs, but you still would need to watch how many carbs you eat so that you wouldn't need to take a lot of insulin to cover those carbs, which could result in your glucose levels dropping too low....not to mention that taking a lot of insulin can also make you gain weight.

I understand what it's like to have to go through a divorce, since I got divorced some 30 years ago.  My wife cheated on me and ran off with my best friend....well, the guy she ran off with wasn't anyone that I knew, but I figured, since he took her off of my hands, I now consider him to be my best friend.:lol:

Anyway, welcome back to the forums, and if there is anything that we can help you with, just ask, I mean, that's what we are here for.

Edited by Hammer

adiantum
33 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I understand what it's like to have to go through a divorce, since I got divorced some 30 years ago.  My wife cheated on me and ran off with my best friend....well, the guy she ran off with wasn't anyone that I knew, but I figured, since he took her off of my hands, I now consider him to be my best friend.:lol:

:rofl:  I love it !!!

Seagal
On 10/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, MalteseMom said:

Tx-_clint  yes mine too… Are used to take 1000 a day and head to change it to 500 twice a day. But it definitely gives me the side affect of diarrhea… Ugly explosive diarrhea with very little warning. Metformin  also is an automatic rejection by Aetna for Plan F coverage  no matter how long the A1 C has been controlled and no matter if the highest it’s ever been has been 7.1. I was just over the number to be labeled diabetic. The doctor put me on meds because my fasting glucose numbers were slowly climbing 

Some folks try Immodium  for the gastric distress.

You don't need a lot of money to eat veggies and chicken, beef, fish (it just seems like it).  Now that you are cooking for one, it will be even less.  Soups, stews, meatloaf, hamburger patty, salads...you did it before, I bet you could do it again.  Maybe you have some logs or journals you wrote pertinent details in?

:)

dowling gram

MalteseMom--welcome back.  

I'd like to tell you a little story about my sister. Her husband cheated on her with her best friend too. After the divorce she raised her 2 kids and struggled to make ends meet with no help from him. He ended up dying of cancer and she met and married an old friend who's wife also cheated. They cried in each other's beer for a while and then discovered that they were good friends and in love and got married. He treats her like a queen and she reciprocates in kind. They are so good for each other and true soul mates. It does my heart good to see them so happy. I firmly believe that we reap what we sow in this life.

As for not affording specialty food the only special food I buy is Almonds, Splenda, flax and Xanthum gum.

I bought a Cuisinart nut grinder (a ninja bullet would work too). I buy blanched sliced almonds at Costco and make my own almond flour for about 1/4 the price of buying it. I also use it to grind flax seed and powder Splenda to make syrups. Br5ing to a boil equal parts of water and powdered Splenda and any extract flavoring you want. Sprinkle on a little xanthum gum if you want it thicker and you have a syrup as good as any you buy

Keep a positive attitude and you'll get through this rough patch. I wish you well

MalteseMom
On 10/27/2018 at 2:06 PM, OneEye said:

Welcome back. I've re-orientated your profile avatar and sent it to you in a private message. Those get placed sideways because of the way the phone transfers portrait images.

On 10/27/2018 at 11:28 PM, adiantum said:

brenda3.jpg.621d336a8c7482766aad9c3d9b8f8fb1.jpg.71e1e6c23f7df87876bbe5846550e12b.jpg

Thank you so much. Those pictures were taken shortly after I found out the truth and the last 2+ years struggle is definitely showing on my face now, but hey I’m almost 71. And again I thank you for the kind encouraging words to all of you. And to all of you a very Merry Christmas and blessed 2019!

EC86D538-EFA5-4FC1-A0BF-4322EB914AB8.jpeg