Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

Daylight Saving Time

adiantum

"Daylight saving ends in Europe, in what could be the last time the continent turns back the clocks

Last August, the European Council recommended EU member states stop changing the clocks in spring and autumn and use summertime for the whole year.

It came after 4.6 million people from EU countries replied to a public consultation on the summertime arrangement, with 84 per cent of those wanting the time change to be abolished.

The clear majority of those people would prefer "permanent summertime", while 36 per cent were in favour of "permanent standard time"."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-28/daylight-saving-ends-in-europe-possibly-for-the-last-time/10438774

I'm all for it..... Summer time for me.!

Hammer

When Nixon was president here, they tried that....keeping daylight savings time all year round.  The idea was that, by doing that, it would save citizens a lot of money on electric bills, since it would be daylight longer when they got home from work, and they wouldn't need to turn on lights.  Unfortunately, what they didn't think about was that, in the morning, when the kids went to school, it would still be dark outside, and parents didn't like the idea of sending their kids off to school when it was dark outside....not to mention that, because it was still dark outside in the mornings, that meant that households had to turn on lights, which negated any cost savings of electricity.  If they didn't need to turn on lights in the early evening hours, they had to turn on the lights in the early morning hours, so nothing was gained by leaving the time set to the daylight savings time.  That idea only lasted one year, and it was abolished.

If they want to stop the changing of clocks every year, then they should stop changing the clocks to daylight savings time, and just leave the time to standard time.  There is no longer a reason to change the clocks to daylight savings time, since the original reason to change the clocks was to give farmers more daylight time to work the fields.  By changing the clocks, that allowed the farmer's kids to get home from school and help out in the fields, but that is no longer the case, so we no longer need to change the clocks for daylight savings time.  Daylight savings time has outlived it's usefulness. 

dowling gram

I agree Hammer. It should be standard time year round since the original idea for changing the clocks no longer exists. There are a couple of good reasons for keeping the same time. First it disturbs the natural rhythm of sleep and waking and it takes a while to get used to the new sleep patterns only to have it repeat 6 months later. There are more automobile accidents when the time changes.

The people who voted for permanent summertime have not thought through the question. They will always be an hour ahead of the rest of the world in winter and that can't be good for business. It would also mean a lot of morning darkness and a lot of confusion for tourists.

Kit

As someone with a circadian rhythm disorder, it's extremely difficult to get to sleep when it is still light out and it's extremely difficult to get up when it is still dark. 

During daylight savings time in the summer, the sky doesn't get dark until after 10pm.

Until we switch in the winter (next month) I don't even see sunlight in the morning. I'm getting up and going to work in the dark. It's so hard to get up. And it's still dark when I get home, so it's not saving diddly. 

Is love to see us stay at standard year round. Sadly it's not going to happen. We change to dst earlier and earlier every year. We switch back later and later each year. 

TX_Clint

It was stupid in the beginning and still is. I don’t much care if standard or dst is used. Just quit changing the clocks. 

Most of my family were farmers and they could care less what time it was. They followed the sun and worked daylight to dark when needed. The kids work had minimal impact on the raising of money crops. 

Kit
8 minutes ago, TX_Clint said:

It was stupid in the beginning and still is. I don’t much care if standard or dst is used. Just quit changing the clocks. 

Most of my family were farmers and they could care less what time it was. They followed the sun and worked daylight to dark when needed. The kids work had minimal impact on the raising of money crops. 

I agree about the changes.  That's the hardest part for me.  It takes me weeks to adjust.  Just keep it consistent please!  Though my personal preference is to do without DST.

don1942

My son lives in Arizona which doesn’t observe DST. Accordingly, we are never certain whether we need to subtract one or two  hours when trying reach him by phone.

dowling gram
19 minutes ago, don1942 said:

My son lives in Arizona which doesn’t observe DST. Accordingly, we are never certain whether we need to subtract one or two  hours when trying reach him by phone.

It should be simple to remember if you are on daylight savings time--In spring you jump ahead an hour and in fall you go back that hour to standard time--I remember which is which by the simple rhyme I learned years ago "spring ahead and fall back".

While you are on daylight savings time subtract 2 hours when you are on standard time---when you turn your clocks back-- it's 1 hour.

Hammer

I always remember it as, "Spring up.....Fall down."  You can't fall up or spring down, so it's easy to remember.  This year, we turn the clocks back one hour on Sunday, November 4th.

To remember which months have 31 days and which months have 30 days, make a fist, then name the months as you count on the knuckles of each finger, and the spaces between the knuckles of each finger.  The first knuckle is January, and since your closed fist has a knuckle there, that month has 31 days.  Next, you count on the space between your knuckles, and that space means that there are 30 days in the month.  Every time you land on a knuckle, that month has 31 days, and every time you land on a space between your knuckles, that month has 30 days (or less, like for February).  Once you use up the knuckles and spaces on one hand, you can either start over with that hand, or place your other hand next to your first hand, and continue counting off the months.  See the image below....

knuckles.jpg.58d27eb7ca949aad4dfd9b11f9148b28.jpg

Kit

I have never been able to remember which months have 30 days and which have 31, and that stupid rhyme is useless.  My brain cannot remember it.  I always have to look it up.

However, your tip may just work.  Thanks.  :)

dowling gram

KIt--It does work but I only use 1 hand. when I get to the last knuckle I touch that one twice and then go back over that hand with the valley then knuckle and so on. The valleys have 30 days and the knuckles have 31. The last knuckle is July and and then August on the same last knuckle. Both have 31 days. All the other months alternate except for February and everyone knows it only has 28 days except for a leap year. Look at a calendar and try it with your hand and you'll see it works.

FunDad62

If we do away with DST how will we know when to change the batteries in our smoke detectors??? :lol:

I agree.  I despise DST and clock-changing twice a year.

control
On 10/28/2018 at 2:34 AM, Hammer said:

There is no longer a reason to change the clocks to daylight savings time, since the original reason to change the clocks was to give farmers more daylight time to work the fields.

That's a myth.  DST never was for the benefit of farmers.  Not surprisingly, many of the things perpetuated about DST is false. 

Farmers fought heavily against DST. 

janice21475

Hammer,

"To remember which months have 31 days and which months have 30 days"

Thanks for that tip, it is my last chance to get those months straight. :P

TX_Clint
15 hours ago, Hammer said:

I always remember it as, "Spring up.....Fall down."  You can't fall up or spring down, so it's easy to remember.  This year, we turn the clocks back one hour on Sunday, November 4th.

To remember which months have 31 days and which months have 30 days, make a fist, then name the months as you count on the knuckles of each finger, and the spaces between the knuckles of each finger.  The first knuckle is January, and since your closed fist has a knuckle there, that month has 31 days.  Next, you count on the space between your knuckles, and that space means that there are 30 days in the month.  Every time you land on a knuckle, that month has 31 days, and every time you land on a space between your knuckles, that month has 30 days (or less, like for February).  Once you use up the knuckles and spaces on one hand, you can either start over with that hand, or place your other hand next to your first hand, and continue counting off the months.  See the image below....

knuckles.jpg.58d27eb7ca949aad4dfd9b11f9148b28.jpg

I use the simple method, a calendar. 🤗

Hammer
14 hours ago, dowling gram said:

KIt--It does work but I only use 1 hand. when I get to the last knuckle I touch that one twice and then go back over that hand with the valley then knuckle and so on. The valleys have 30 days and the knuckles have 31. The last knuckle is July and and then August on the same last knuckle. Both have 31 days. All the other months alternate except for February and everyone knows it only has 28 days except for a leap year. Look at a calendar and try it with your hand and you'll see it works.

True.  You can also use just one hand, and when you get to the last knuckle, just go back to the first finger that you used (the little finger's knuckle) and start over.

dowling gram
20 hours ago, Hammer said:

True.  You can also use just one hand, and when you get to the last knuckle, just go back to the first finger that you used (the little finger's knuckle) and start over.

Yep that would work too. I could never remember that rhyme but when I discovered this way years ago it made so much sense and I can always figure out how many days in each month

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.