Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
dowling gram

Oral meds and lows

dowling gram

I have a new doctor and I'm going through the same fack about my BG being too low. My A1C's over the last 5 years have been under 6 and the lowest I've ever gone is 4.2. My fasting is usually in the 4's. All the doctors are worried about lows so to put the matter to rest I decided to look up my medication, Januvia to see what risk of going too low I face. I do know that doctors know very little about drugs and rely on the drug companies handouts. According to this list there is no chance of me going too low. I think the danger comes when doctors mix medications and give you one that does cause lows with one that doesn't. I also think every diabetic should be armed with the knowledge of what they are putting in there bodies and not rely on doctors so here's the list of oral diabetes meds. Fore warned is fore armed.

https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/medications-list

IrinaHarr

I was told "no alcohol" even white wine with Janumet, apparently alcohol shuts down liver function to give it time eliminate alcohol from the system. Since liver releases stored glucose into blood stream when needed, alcohol is a reason BG could go too low. Hope my Janumet works that well, I've just started taking it.

Perhaps a smaller dosage available for you?

dowling gram
5 hours ago, IrinaHarr said:

I was told "no alcohol" even white wine with Janumet, apparently alcohol shuts down liver function to give it time eliminate alcohol from the system. Since liver releases stored glucose into blood stream when needed, alcohol is a reason BG could go too low. Hope my Janumet works that well, I've just started taking it.

Perhaps a smaller dosage available for you?

Janumet is a combination drug. It combines Metforman with Januvia. Metforman is more likely to promote highs or lows than Januvia alone. If you are going to have a single glass of wine do it with a meal or a full stomach.

I don't need a smaller dosage because what I'm taking has worked just fine for 5 years. I seldom drink any alcohol. I only occasionally have a glass of wine and always with a meal or food of some sort. It has never effected my BG one way or the other