Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

PatriciaJ

Test control solution

PatriciaJ

How long can you keep using the test control solution after it expired??

Mine expired a year ago, but seems to show the right numbers..

dowling gram

What is the purpose of using the test control solution all the time? Usually it's only used to check if the meter is accurate. I have never used a test control solution. At my first A1C I took my meter to the lab. I tested my blood while I was waiting in the cubicle. It yielded the same number as my A1C from the lab. I tested it again at my next A1C and tested immediately after in the waiting room. The result was the same.

Even if my meter would have been off I would know by how much and could add that variance to my daily testing. I've used the same meter for 5 years and it is pretty accurate with my A1C's so I never question my readings. If it wasn't then I'd change my meter and test it the same way.

PatriciaJ

The solution is used to check the range when you open a new bottle of test strips to verify control test is within the range on the bottle of new glucose strips. That's the only time I use the solution.

dowling gram

As I said I never use it and I've opened many new containers of test strips and never got a bad one yet. My BG is stable and under control. If I got a couple of off readings I'd look for the why. If I'd just opened a container of strips I'd try another container of strips to see if it's the strips. If It was I'd return the off ones to my pharmacy and ask what to do with them.

Besides I rely more on my A1C's to tell me how I'm doing. The home testing is just to keep me on track and test food..

Edited by dowling gram

Hammer

I think that the test control solutions are a waste of money.  I have gotten those test solutions with several of the meters that my insurance company sent me, and when I look at the test strip container, and read the range that the test solution falls into, it's ridiculous.  The test strip vial that I have in front of me indicates that the test solution should read between 113 and 140.....really?  That's a 27 point difference in either direction....plus 27 points or minus 27 points!  So if I take a BG test and the meter reads 113, that means that it could actually be 140 or 86, and still be considered accurate, since it falls within that 27 point range.

OneEye

Control solution is used as a constant. Boood glucose is never a constant and cannot be used as a benchmark.

Let's say your test strip bottle is the middle control solution. It says 97-131mg/dL. The way they come to that number is they do a professional test strip test and then add a error variance...usually 10 to 15%. Add those two number together and divide them by two. 97 + 131 ÷ 2 = 114. That's the number they got. When you use a test strip in that solution...if those strips are right on the money...114 is what you should get also.