Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kit

Do no prep casserole dishes exist?

Kit

OK, here's the situation.  A coworker of mine and I have decided to make a special lunch for us one day next week.  A lot of the company is going to be gone and we through we'd have some fun.

What we have to work with is a toaster oven, a pan for the oven, a microwave, a knife, and a fridge.  We thought maybe a casserole of some kind, but everything I look at basically requires you to cook everything a head of time.  if that's the case, may as well just make it at home, bring it in and just heat it up.  But that's not what we're wanting.

Any ideas?  I did not grow up with casseroles.  My mom never made them, I never ate them, and I never really bother now because, due to just about everything needing to be pre cooked, its just way too much hassle.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Even egg dishes seem to need ingredients be pre cooked before mixing it all up and baking.

meyery2k

Not sure if this might be the right idea, but what about a picnic of sorts?

Cheeses, nuts, berries, cold cuts, berries, maybe a dessert?  The toaster oven could be used to bake the cheese onto the cold cuts.  Maybe you could even make fat bombs in it.

Kit

Not exactly what we're looking for, but thanks for the idea.

Weather has taken a turn for the cold and we're kind of in the mood for something hot and bubbly, and possibly cheesy.  :)

Two things I know will work are the buffalo chicken dip (not really a meal but goes with the hot and bubbly) or those chorizo stuffed peppers.  But we've already done both of those and would like to try something new.  We could always roast a bunch of veggies and serve with kielbasa or similar, but I do stuff like that all the time.

dowling gram

Casseroles used to be a winter staple in my house and I've never made one that didn't require some cooking ahead of time. I don't make them much anymore. I was going to suggest a stew--I made a delicious low carb one the other day but you don't have a stove. If you have access to a crock pot and time there are some very good recipes that would fit your bill. I could give you one if you are interested.

Kit

We can probably get a hold of a crock pot.   Time is another matter.  You have anything that can be assembled and cooked in 4 hours or less?

dowling gram

OK here'a a crockpot recipe that would be done in 4 hours.

Steak--You can only do 1 layer in the bottom and don't have them too thick. Anything more would take longer. You don't need prime cuts for this. I use outside round.

Veggies of your choice.

Season your steak as you would to fry or whichever way you cook them and wrap the steak individually in tin foil, fold over the top and sides  to seal and place in the bottom of the crock pot. Do not overlap the packages.

Season the veggies and sprinkle with olive oil. Wrap in tin foil putting each kind in it's own packet with the seam up.  Put the ones that require the most cooking on top of the steak and layer upwards. If you use potatoes peel and slice them and make the rest of the veggies in smallish pieces but not too small.

Cover and cook for 4 hours on high

Don't peek until the 4 hours are up. Some liquid will seep out of the packages so you don't need to add any moisture

I've never tried it but I think you could use pork chops if you want

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.