Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

anon125

amount of blood glucoe increase with meals

anon125
we are considering a slightly new diet.
we know that the numbers one hour and 2 hour after a meal are important (ala Jenny Ruhl)
but if the number before the meal is a tad on the high side then the after meal numbers have to be high.
6.7, 6.4, 7.3.  before , 1 hr, 2hr.  the 7.3 is a tad high for us hoping to stay in the 5% club.
where do we find just what INCREASE in the numbers is okay?
thanks all

we know that the numbers one hour and 2 hour after a meal are important (ala Jenny Ruhl)
but if the number before the meal is a tad on the high side then the after meal numbers have to be high.
6.7, 6.4, 7.3. before , 1 hr, 2hr. the 7.3 is a tad high for us hoping to stay in the 5% club.
thanks all

Type 2

6.7, 6.4, 7.3.  before , 1 hr, 2hr.  the 7.3 is a tad high for us hoping to stay in the 5% club.
thanks all

Kit

When I was initially bringing my numbers down, I selected less than a 20 point rise after meals as a hard limit and I've basically kept sing that since.

anon125

how do i get this forum to send me an email when somebody replies?

thanks

yes the tick is in the box notify me of replies

dowling gram

Your notifications are at the top of the home page. No e-mails are sent out from this site unless it's a private message. 20 points American is .8.

You have to have a LCHF diet to get your numbers down. If you have high numbers before eating you will have even higher numbers at 2 hours. Get rid of a lot of carbs and see where that brings you. I suggest you look at the keto diet for inspiration

dowling gram

You didn't say if you are on any diabetic medication. It may be that you can't do it with diet alone but need a little help by taking a medication. While diet is the most important, help is sometimes needed to get where you want to go. Every diabetic is different. Some can get by with diet alone, some need oral meds and still others need insulin. The end point is to get those numbers down and avoid complications.

My A1C is always in the 5's. I try for a before meal number around 5 to 5.3 and an hour after meals a reading of below 7 and a 2 hour reading close to my before meal. I must confess that I don't test as often any more. My BG has been close to normal for the last 5 years and my fasting has been in the 4's. I don't test my fasting often and I don't test meals I've eaten before except if I'm doing a quality control which I do every 2 weeks just to make sure I'm on track.

meyery2k

I have found Kit's plan works well for me in general.  I have found a wide variety of foods that allow me to do this and stick to them pretty closely.

anon125

how do i permanently stop this popup about notifications? other forums do not have that. is it just more adverts?

dowling gram

No adverts. Just a notification that someone has reacted to what you said in case you didn't notice it at the top of the page. 1 click and it's gone. Not a very serious problem

Dave_KC

I've got a pretty good idea of the diet that @Kit and @meyery2k use.  

I personally aim for under 30 grams of carbs per day (not net carbs, total carbs).  I try to stay with moderate protein, and eat healthy fats until satiated.  Basically I use a Keto diet, which I've been able to maintain now for nearly a year without any diabetic meds at all.  

I do know it's possible to make a lot of good progress to reduce or even eliminate meds. 

steel

I am not as experienced as other members. But I've found Kit's goal of staying within 20 points very useful in helping me stay on  track. I try to make sure I don't go above 7.8 @ 1 hour pp (these days it's only with a rare sweet [like the tiny gulab jamun I had this week]that I go this high so it wasn't a big surprise) and am at or below 6.7 by 2 hours pp. Mostly I go as high as 7.1 and am down to low or mid 6s @ 2 hours.  I've made small (but important) progress from a fasting blood sugar of 8 something at diagnosis (now down to 5.7-mid 6s, with a few 7s and high 6s since I was sick and am recovering from illness) a month back and post prandial spikes of 8s, 9s, 10s and even an 11 to staying in the low 7s and 6s in post prandial numbers. It's a slow process, and from what I've learnt here, it takes time to get numbers down. But yeah, I'd recommend the 20 points guideline as well. It's helped me make progress. It's realistic. I find it important to have manageable goals so I don't get discouraged, because Diabetes can be unpredictable and difficult sometimes.  I've also lost weight, keeping carbs at 30 grams total for the day. It's more doable than it seems at first.

My longer term goal is to be at 6.7 and below 1 hour pp and low 6s and then 5s at 2 hours pp, in addition to lowering my fasting numbers...which are the last to go up and last to come down it seems like.  Then I'll keep working to bring the numbers closer to non diabetic numbers, so as to get into the 5% club and stay there or get even better!

p.s. Because of liver dumps leading to higher fasting numbers (had a meal soon after so it was like a pre meal number), I have seen some post prandial numbers that were lower than the number I had before eating. Like I was 7 at fasting. I had a meal soon after checking. After 1 hours I was at 6.7 and lower still after two hours. When I have a liver dump because I haven't eaten in a while, eating gets my numbers down. My insulin sensitivity is also fluctuating because of hormonal issues, so it could be that too. 

Edited by steel

anon125

thanks everyone.

as i am using the libre sensor blood testing is easier so i do it more often. wake up with a 3.6!!! but get up and move around and 7 minutes later it is 4.7