Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

small AC outage and dead again.

Hammer

Ran, if you are using an APC (American Power Conversion) UPS (uninterruptible power supply), if you buy a replacement battery from APC, it usually comes with the power connector attached to it.  All you have to do is to remove the battery from the UPS, unhook the connector, plug in the connector from the new battery, and insert the new battery into the UPS.  Of course, you can always just unscrew the connector from the old battery's terminals and attach it to the new battery's terminals.

I'm surprised...whenever the batteries in any of my APC units began to get weak, the unit would sound a beep to let me know that the battery was getting weak.  I'm wondering if the problem is with the UPS, or maybe something with the computer?  In the past, when I've had a problem with my computer just shutting off, that usually indicated that the power supply was overheating, so it shut itself off.  All the power supply needed was more air circulation, and the problem went away. (the air vents were clogged.)

ran23

I have some old ones and new ones.   Old ones take 12-7 and new big ones take 12-12.  I used to drive around with a case of 12-7 for work. no problem working with them as a tech putting them in fire controls.   New batts ordered already.   Around here they want $50 and Amazon is 2 for $50.  

Kit

If you have one, and I'm sure it came with one, make sure you hook up the data cable between the UPS and computer.  They then have software you can install that allows the two to communicate with each other.

For our machines here, especially servers, we have it set so that the machine will safely shut down if the UPS goes under 20 minutes of run time.  If you don't do this, a long power outage when you are not there can cause your machine to shut down badly anyway.  Its not very difficult to do and doesn't cost anything beyond a few minutes to get it setup.

ran23

I got this BackUp Pro 650 a long time ago for my P4.  I may have that cable and such, but now this is a Win 10 PC.  will check. 

Kit

It should be a USB plug on one end and what looks like a phone cord on the other.  I believe all APCs use the same cable.

Hammer

When my UPS gets old, or if I just want to get a bigger UPS, I usually go for a UPS that is bigger than I actually need, since I never know if, down the road, I might want to add some other computer equipment to it like a scanner or a printer.  I'd hate to be in the middle of scanning or printing something, then have the power go off, and not have the printer or scanner plugged into the UPS. 

I have always used the APC (American Power Conversion) UPS units, and I have been happy with them.  This one would be the smallest that I'd get, but typically, I go for bigger ones.

ran23

yes, mine is probably 7 years old by now.   XP days.    My really old one-beige metal case, are powering up the modem and router in another room.  thanks

I left a second Monitor on a surge, so if power goes out, instant notice.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.