Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
lgvincent

Do you find the Dexcom 5 readings to be inaccurate?

lgvincent

I'm having a problem with the Dexcom 5.  I've been finding the readings to often be around 30 mg/dL lower than my meter when I calibrate it so I began to calibrate it 3 times per day.  I calibrated it 3 hours ago and just checked with my meter.  The Dexcom gave a reading of 130 while the meter was 172.  I've got the sensor in the arm at the moment (I've read where others say that's the most accurate site).  Do any of you have a similar problem of readings lower than what they actually are?  If so, how do you deal with it?  I've begun by entering readings of 30 mg higher than the monitor into the pump so I'll get extra insulin in an effort to get my sugar to come down but so far that isn't working either.  I've also started taking injections when the monitor readings reach 250 mg. 

I really don't trust this thing and have come to hate it.  When I calibrated it at 8 this morning, it gave a reading 30 mg lower than the meter and I checked again at 11 am and it gave a reading of 130 mg while the meter showed 172 mg and that was only 4 hours after the last calibration.

When I calibrate it, I have to enter the reading twice because it may change some with the first entry, it's only slightly closer to the figure I entered into it.  It takes two to get it at the same reading as the meter.  Is this common? 

When I see the doctor next week, I'm thinking of asking if I can stop using it and go back to checking my sugar 10 times a day.  I at least feel somewhat confidant with the readings the meter gives me. 

Edited by lgvincent

Tribbles

Personally I use xDrip on my phone rather than the Dexcom app or receiver. It lets you edit the calibration slope if you are feeling very brave, it also has predictions if you put in carbs and insulin. It's commonly used in the homebrew artificial pancreas projects.

lgvincent
37 minutes ago, Tribbles said:

Personally I use xDrip on my phone rather than the Dexcom app or receiver. It lets you edit the calibration slope if you are feeling very brave, it also has predictions if you put in carbs and insulin. It's commonly used in the homebrew artificial pancreas projects.

Thank you but I can't afford a cell phone so I guess that option is out. 

Edited by lgvincent