Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Japanese restaurant

ran23

Last night was a good meal at a new restaurant near by.   The Seaweed Salad was a bit sweet, but good.  Calamari with lots of tentacles, was the best locally so far. Snacked on two pieces of  fried veggies and a Seafood Salad.   Later about 122.  I am guessing it was the sweet sauce on the salads?     fun time.   106 before I went to sleep.   

1967rs

Wow, almost a year ago and no reply?  I'm assuming that since you went to a Japanese place you must like fish...or are OK with fish?  Sashimi is always nice and low carb.  We have a chain of Japanese restaurants out here so its usually premade stuff but a "real" Japanese restaurant would have more low carb to offer.  That didn't make me sound like too much of a food snob did it?

Shabu-Shabu is always good.  Every place I went to would go out of their way to serve you what you want so ask. Get grilled foods, lots of different veggies.

Gotta be honest however, if someone set me down to Sukiyaki...I'd have to eat it...all.

vic

Kit

Oh I had not heard of Sukiyaki before.  Looks like it could be make keto friendly pretty easily at home with a couple minor substitutions.  Only issue might be the mirin, well at least for the recipe I looked at.

I'll have to give it a try sometime when I'm feeling brave.  :)

ran23

After a great musical, hit this restaurant again.  Had the Hot spicy Seafood soup with Udon.  screaming hot, but the octopus, calamari , muscles and veggies was great.  Saving half for lunch tomorrow.  May add  Shirataki Kontac angel hair noodles to it. 

Hammer

I frequently meet a good friend in town for dinner.  She really enjoys eating at Aki's, which is a sushi restaurant...she loves sushi.  Myself, I won't touch uncooked meat, especially seafood.  When I go there, I get the filet mignon hibachi, which is cubed pieces of filet mignon (I get  it medium rare), a variety of sauteed vegetables, and some fried rice.  I give the fried rice to my friend, and I eat the rest.  Sometimes I'll get their scallops hibachi, which swaps out the filet mignon for scallops, or the shrimp hibachi, or the chicken hibachi.

Kit

You know now I'm really craving hot pot.  I had it once at a restaurant many years ago and its a wonderful group meal.

Basically a pot of broth is put on a burner or hot plate on the table and allowed to keep at a low simmer.  Then you have your ingredients that are raw and cut small, sliced thin to assure quick cooking.  Meat, fish, seafood, veggies, noodles and similar.  Everyone pops in a bit of what they want (not all at once) and when things are done serve yourself.  As you go, the broth gets more concentrated and flavorful and everything that has been cooked previously in the pot also helps to continue to flavor it.

Due to the nature, the meal takes a while, slows down your eating speed (great for those into mindful eating) and encourages conversation with your companions.