Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ceres

Spaghetti squash. . .

Ceres

. . . is truly a wonderful food. Spaghetti used to be my go-to comfort food. I've barely had any for the past five years, but tonight I cooked spaghetti squash, put some low-sugar sauce on, and it was glorious.

(I rarely post here, but I wanted to share with people who would understand.)

adiantum

I envy you @Ceres.. its been discussed here a few times over the years , although not recently, so its great that you should recommend it now.

Ive tried many times to buy it even at the Farmers Markets without success.

I tried a few times to grow it but this region is really high humidity which favours powdery mildew & other fungal diseases.

Check the recipe section as there used to be great sauce ideas.

@Ceres, I'd give you more likes & a thank you for your post if I could... . Its great when we share good news.

Edited by adiantum

Dave_KC

I've had Spaghetti Squash often finding it at Walmart.  But I'm not sure how well it would grow in Australia.  

adiantum

It grows well in most regions  of Australia except where I live.

I bought the seeds on ebay & they germinated fast enough but so did the fungus. 

I cant grow cucumbers or pumpkins here for that reason.

Its very humid  where I live.

dowling gram

Lee- One way to get around the humidity is to put the fruit in a hammock-- A piece of mesh supporting the fruit and resting on supports that hold it above the ground. Also spacing plants far apart and mulching the ground where the vines will lay. These strategies will improve air flow around the fruit and cut down on mildew. Periodic spraying with baking soda and water helps too

dowling gram
3 hours ago, Ceres said:

. . . is truly a wonderful food. Spaghetti used to be my go-to comfort food. I've barely had any for the past five years, but tonight I cooked spaghetti squash, put some low-sugar sauce on, and it was glorious.

(I rarely post here, but I wanted to share with people who would understand.)

I do this too but I add browned ground beef with a bit of cooked diced onion and green pepper and basil and Italian seasoning to the sauce and use the squash shell as a serving plate. I shred the cooked squash and leave it in the shell. Then add the meat and sauce over the shredded squash

adiantum

As i said, this area is not a suitable climate for these vines but your hints might  be of use to others.

I live in Australia, not Canada. I  dont have an acreage , not even a quarter acre lot.

I have a tiny garden close to the city so space is not plentiful so plants must grow upwards.

We have many  Summer days with temps exceeding 110F with humidity 80 to 90%.

As my garden is surrounded by trees  they create a micro climate ideal for fungus. 

fruit... rarely sets because the leaf cant photosynthesise thanks to the leaf cover of  mildew.

Periodic spraying would be useless.. you would need to do it daily. 

50/50 milk & water is also another deterrent of powdery mildew

In the heat of Summer, I am busy keeping water & shade available for the birds, reptiles & insects as well as keeping my dog & myself cool.

I have found it unwise to fight mother nature.