Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

ran23

can't eat salads anymore

ran23

I guess age has caught up with me, mid 60's.  Can't eat raw veggies.  cooked is fine.  I just had a base of mixed greens, egg, artichokes and cottage cheese. bad.   For the rest of the week, I will stir fry the greens with eggs in the mornings.  Very small amount of greens/spinach in a wrap is fine.   fun.

dowling gram

I've never been overly fond of salads with raw greens so I don't eat many of them. One salad I do like is bean salad and I make it often sometimes doubling it. It can be made and kept in the fridge for a week or more and it's made with cooked beans so it shouldn't bother you.

Bean salad

1 can each of yellow and green beans drained

1/4 of a small onion cut in rings

Dressing

1/4 cup salad oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup (or less) splenda

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

1/2 teaspoon (or more)basil.

Drain the beans. Mix the dressing in the bowl you are going to keep the salad in. Add the beans and onion rings. Put a tight fitting lid on and shake it up or mix by hand. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before eating but it'll taste even better if left over night.

Try making other salads with cooked veggies. I've used this dressing with cooked broccoli and it tasted good. You do have to add the onion to give it flavor but the only carbs are in the onion and beans

Edited by dowling gram
omission

TX_Clint

I usually have a salad with dinner every day. I think I need the nutrients and do enjoy it. Especially topped with bacon and cheese.😊

Kit

If you're tired of salads, don't eat them.  :)

Unless the weather is hot, I personally prefer to cook my greens and other vegetables over having them raw.  I'll personally saute any green other than lettuce.  To me, that's just gross.  :)

Hammer

I couldn't live without my salads.  I usually buy the ones that are ready made at the food store, then add some more ingredients to it.  The end result, depending on which grocery store I get it from, consists of lettuce, shredded carrots, shredded cheese, shredded cabbage, thin strips of various lunch meats, grape tomatoes, fresh broccoli, fresh cauliflower, cucumber slices, bacon bits and alfalfa sprouts.  Yes, it ends up being a big salad....:)  For the salad dressing, I'll put some Hidden Valley Ranch dressing on it first, and since I'm not fond of those thick, creamy dressings, I'll then add some Wishbone Italian dressing on top of the ranch dressing to thin it out.  The two dressings mixed together tastes pretty good.

ran23

My Salad Mix was one of Trader Joe's Spring mixes, no carrots.  Will try it again tomorrow.  Upset my stomach so much, that has happened before with some things.   I always throw extras on packaged foods, my wife is the opposite. Good thing I cook for myself.   

stevenal

ran23,

Can you be more specific regarding "bad"? 

I think I may have overdone the salads last week when I was out of town. Easy to order, just hold the croutons; and very tasty. I think, though, in my case they caused a flareup of SIBO. I wonder if you might be experiencing something similar.  

ran23

Actually another test is needed.   Asian here and Bad is similar to drinking milk.  I tried a different dressing and that needs a test.   I am big on Acidophilus and FOS.  I did a wrap of  turkey pepperoni, cheese, and salad--no problems.   Will try a spoonful of dressing soon.