Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

Christmas

adiantum

Bah humbug

I hoped to be in my new house by now but I've not even listed my house for sale, 

so the Christmas spirit hasnt embraced me this year.

The decorations have been packed away.

Ive got mouth ulcers which are hindering the pleasure of eating.

I stocked up on ice blocks but am allergic to something in them.

The bus I caught home was one that  had been decorated & christmas carols played loudly over the pa system.

This didnt help my mood although some old women were filled with the seasons joy & sang along.

I think their old voice boxes went into retirement years ago  & now they sound like children swinging on a rusty gate.

I wish everyone a  Very Happy Holiday Season

Here are some of the buses that have been decorated.

The one I caught had every window surrounded in tinsel, the seats covered in Santa Hats & bells & bows hanging from the ceiling.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-23/christmas-buses-a-hit-as-donations-flow-to-childrens-hospital/8108768

The best part is that people buy the cd's & dvd's & donate & that money goes to the childrens hospital

The Elf themed Christmas bus, decorated with hundreds of meters of tinsel

The Winter Wonderland Christmas bus

ran23

Big Chinese luncheon for a friend turning 90.   I did hold back from rice and noodles.  Chinese pastries are hard to turn down.   90 minutes later--143.

Hammer

Lee, I can understand why this Christmas hasn't gone well for you this year.  I think we all have had at least one Christmas like that.  For me, I am almost always in a good mood.  I don't know why I am usually in a good mood, regardless of what happens around me, but I think it might be because I am always friendly to people, and they are usually friendly to me.  Add to that the fact that no matter how bad things might get, I just look at the situation logically, determine what I need to do to correct the situation, then do it.  I don't let emotions get in the way of anything, mainly because I don't feel much in the way of emotions.....I haven't felt much in the way of emotions for more than 55 years or so.

It's Christmas Day here, and I'm not going anywhere, I'm just staying home, surfing the internet, maybe watching a little TV, and that's it.  I like it that way....it's peaceful and quiet.  I visited my daughter and her family yesterday, and treated them to dinner, like I always do when I visit her.  My daughter's stepdaughter, her husband's daughter from a previous marriage was there, as well as her husband's mother (his father passed away earlier this year), so we all went to Red Lobster for dinner.  I drove my Dodge Durango SUV to my daughter's house so that we'd have plenty of room for everyone.  Dinner was really great, as it always is at Red Lobster, and the conversations were great also.

My daughter knows that I don't accept gifts from anyone, for any reason, but she always gives me one Christmas gift that she knows that I'll accept....a calendar that contains pictures of her little boy...pictures that she took and had made into a calendar.

adiantum

My christmas day turned out really well. The mouth ulcers healed up & the allergies recognised & learned from.

I admit was alarmed at my first visitor of the day..a tabby cat walked in the front door at 5am.

No its not a welcome sight, as this means it's been hunting birds in my garden.

Hammer, I am always friendly to people.

This was the first time in my life that Ive had no christmas  tree nor decorations.

Theyve been packed away for the move & I refuse to unpack anymore things.

I dont meet up with family because of distances. I will not leave my dog home alone besides, spending hours in an airport doesnt sound ideal .

I had  lobster, prawns & smoked salmon & salad. Cheeses & nuts .

I made a desert mixing cream cheese, cream, gelatin,stevia, vanilla  & Kalhua.

I'll make another one for  the new year using Limoncello instead of Kalhua.

I kept in touch with family & friends via the phone & emails which was nice.

I'd stocked up on dvd's  for lazy days over the holidays.

Glad your day was so nice & I turned green with envy  over your Dodge Durango ....I miss not having a car but never had one as special as that Dodge.

You mustve felt like a king driving  everyone around in it.

That calendar must be lovely ..your daughter is brilliant in photography.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.

TX_Clint

A great holiday here so far. I took the wife for brunch at the Galvez Hotel. Absolutely first class. Talked to all the kids and grandkids with a little FaceTime. Plus, I got a nice Absinthe bar set from Santa.

I do hope all my df friends have a fantastic holiday. 🎅🏽

ran23

Back from a big luncheon at the Retirement Manor.  124 after that.   Kalhua, I miss that.  over  ice cream.  Best wishes All

Hammer

Lee, when I visit my daughter and I bring my Durango, I usually let my son-in-law drive it since he knows how to get to where we're going.  He enjoys driving it, plus, it's one of the few times that I get to relax and just be a passenger.  I also get to play with the temperature controls in the second row seating....just to see how they work.(it also controls the third row seating temperature).  The second and third row temperature controls are independent of the front seat temperature controls.  The front seat has separate temperature controls for the driver, as well as for the front seat passenger, so each person in the front seat can adjust the temperature to what they like.(I'm not sure if the front seats are heated since I've never looked into that.)

I don't care for all of the bells and whistles that are now standard equipment on vehicles, I just like the controls to be simple.  The Durango has lots of bells and whistles, but I don't bother to see how they all work, since I never use them.  All I need to know is how to start the vehicle, how the 8 speed automatic transmission works (you can put it in manual mode and shift it yourself if you want to), what the buttons on the steering wheel control since I sometimes accidentally hit one and the dashboard changes to some other interface (it stops showing my miles driven and time that I've been driving, as well as the outside temperature and the direction that I'm driving, to show the tire pressure in each tire...or the radio station that is on, with the volume level of the radio (I don't listen to the radio, but you can't turn it off, you can only turn the volume way down).  There are many other displays and functions that I have no use for...well, the third row seats have head rests that partially block your vision when you look into the rear view mirror to see what's behind you, so pushing a button lowers those head rests, so that's a nice feature.

I just wish that vehicles came without all of the bells and whistles, that way, you wouldn't pay for all of that stuff if you didn't want it.  If you wanted it, you could just add it as an option, like they did in the past.  Now they just jam it down your throat, then make you pay for it.(do we really need a rear view backup camera....or nitrogen filled tires....or an automatic day/night rear view mirror....or a touch screen in the center of the dashboard that controls everything....or a key fob that only needs to be in your pocket so that when you're next to the vehicle, the doors unlock automatically, then the vehicle can be started by pushing a button on the dashboard as long as the key fob is in your pocket?)  I bet that if all of those things were offered as options instead of being standard equipment, that most people wouldn't want half of them, plus, the cost of the vehicle would be thousands of dollars less. 

Even with all of that, I do like my Durango...now I'm waiting for when it snows to see how well it's all wheel drive does in the snow.  The gas mileage isn't that great, but I knew that before I bought it, plus, it's 9 months old and it only has 1900 miles (3058 kilometers) on it, so the gas mileage isn't as good as it will be once it's got around 30,000 miles (48,280 kilometers) on it, but that will take 14-15 years. (my VW Jetta is 12 years old and only has 20,000 miles (32,187 kilometers) on it.

ran23

Christmas Gift.   Eddie Bauer warm pullover in Large.   shipped to me by my sister -in-law.  last two years I have told her I lost 55 pds and no longer fit a Large.  I wonder if it is listed in her gift list?   

notme

My Christmas was resurrected at the last minute.  We were supposed to travel about six hours to my daughters house on the coast.  Were were planning on leaving on Sunday at 3 am to arrive at her house by 9 am to beat holiday traffic.  Thank God, that was the plan.  My husband got up to make coffee and let me sleep. He heard my alarm go off but, I didn’t turn it off.  He came in to turn it off and wake me up and he couldn’t get me to wake up.  He realized I was unconscious and having a seizure.  He tried to wake me but it was a no go so he had to call paramedics.  By the time they arrived my blood sugar was below 20.  It took an iv and two vials of glucogon before I woke up to find six strange men around my bed.  Talk about unnerving.  Took a ride to the hospital and spent the next 8 hours in the stupid ER before I went home.  My blood sugar did not want to stay up and when it finally did it spiked to 300.  We waited a day and then decided to drive on Christmas Eve to my daughters house.  We had a nice Christmas Day with my family.  At my house, my daughter hosted a party for 25 other family members only we weren’t there! 😂

I guess it is time I reattached my CGMS.  I struggle with CGM tape and the alarms all night wreck my already very sorry sleeping habits but I have noticed I am becoming hypo unaware.  That terrifies me and really scared my poor husband.   Thirty years of type 1 diabetes is catching up.  

buddy7
On 12/26/2018 at 2:55 AM, Hammer said:

I just wish that vehicles came without all of the bells and whistles, that way, you wouldn't pay for all of that stuff if you didn't want it.  If you wanted it, you could just add it as an option, like they did in the past.  Now they just jam it down your throat, then make you pay for it.(do we really need a rear view backup camera....or nitrogen filled tires....or an automatic day/night rear view mirror....or a touch screen in the center of the dashboard that controls everything....or a key fob that only needs to be in your pocket so that when you're next to the vehicle, the doors unlock automatically, then the vehicle can be started by pushing a button on the dashboard as long as the key fob is in your pocket?)  I bet that if all of those things were offered as options instead of being standard equipment, that most people wouldn't want half of them, plus, the cost of the vehicle would be thousands of dollars less. 

Have to say Hammer quite a vehicle you have there, as I said before, I’m all for this new technology, there was a time in the UK, and that wasn’t that long ago, to have these accessories we had to go abroad to other EU countries, Germany, France or others, hence the reason I bought a foreign car, they tend to have more accessories than the British makes. My car a 9-year-old, Renault Dominique coupe, have some extras as yours i.e. SAT-NAV, Bluetooth, key fob, heated windscreen front and rear, and heated front seats, these are my likes, the others I pay very little attention too. But have to say your Durango is total miles ahead with extras than most British cars. But as you said, "without bells and whistles" it certainly will reduce the overall price of the car. Have to be honest with you, do we really need them? A yes for me, because I just love the gadgetry.

Great car love it! No complaints from me, some countries are still way behind with car gadgetry/technology, to think of it, the Automobile was only developed by Carl Benz (1885–1886) 130 plus years ago, so automation has come a long way. Love it!!

The original "Benz Patent Motor Car", 1886 - the world's first automobile

meyery2k

@buddy7 - I love that machine but I must admit, the first thought that came to mind because of the cars we have today, is that Rube Goldberg built a self propelled bicycle ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.