Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

Kit
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

157 today and in the hospital. 

I and Sour Soup for lunch and decided I would do a little shopping. On my first stop, while driving, I felt anxious and my left leg twitching rhythmically. It lasted a few minutes then passes. Checking out at Target, I had another anxiety attack.  My left arm and leg started spasming and I could only stutter. I managed to get out "Call 911". I was helped the ground and my left side spasmed. In 5 minutes it stopped. I couldn't move my arm or leg and thought I had a stroke. Got to hospital. No stroke but seizures. Went for CT and MRI and they found some pus from my scalp surgery worked into a nearby spot where there was no skull due to an earlier drill out to relive a subdural hematoma when I was a baby. There was thought about Medevac to Honolulu but the decision to try and knock it out with antibiotics was given. Ativan and steroids for anti sezure. Feeling much better this morning. 

OMG Mike, that had to be terrifying.  I hope the antibiotics kick the infection and you improve quickly.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts.

adiantum

Oh Mike, that was an experience you dont want to repeat.

I hope the treatment works good & fast.

5.9 for me

Hammer

A 94 (5.22) today.

Mike, I hope everything works out okay for you.  If you are taking antibiotics, you should also be taking a pro-biotic supplement....just in case.  I had two aunts, one in her 80's, and one who was 70, and they were on antibiotics and they ended up dying from C-Dif.  You are younger than they were, but it might still be a good idea to take a pro-biotic to replace some of the good bacteria in your body which is what keeps C-Dif at bay.  The antibiotics will also kill some of the good bacteria in your body, and if enough of that good bacteria gets killed, C-Dif can then spread throughout your body.  It killed my 70 year old aunt in just 7 days...from perfectly healthy on Sunday, to deceased the next Sunday....C-Dif is nasty stuff.

meyery2k

Finally got to eat. Stuck with my diet. The menu is also carte and they somehow forgot to put me on a diabetic diet and I didn't speak up lol...

Omellete with spinach, bacon, cheese, and tomato. Cottage cheese and a cup of coffee. I feel good. I consider that headache a warning sign and the doctor agreed. It comes to a nuisance point just long enough to think, "oh no" and then fades. 

With the steroids and dextrrose in the IV. I decided to not test. I know I won't like the numbers and can deal with this when I get home.

Kala, Tim, and Nick have been a big help. 

Yesterday, while Kala was visiting me, I had a small episode. We were talking and I felt the anxiety attack. I couldn't answer. Kala said my face went blank like a screen and she knew. It was brief. Less than a minute and only affected my leg. 

Hammer

Mike, I've had a number of anxiety attacks over the years, and the first time I had one was many years ago as I was driving to my construction work site.  It was around 6 am, and I was driving down a long country road.  Back then, I had never heard of an anxiety attack, so when it hit me, I didn't know what was happening.  My heart starting pounding rapidly, I started sweating, I felt shaky and light headed, and to those that know me, I didn't care.  I thought that I might be having a heart attack, but that didn't bother me because, I never get excited about anything.  From what I understand, if you get scared and panic when you are having an anxiety attack, that only fuels the attack and makes it worse.  When that first one hit me, I just said to myself, "Is this the best you've got?  Well bring it on!"  Because I didn't get scared or panic, the attack went away rapidly.  Once it was gone, I said, "That's it?  That's all there is?  What a waste of time!".

The very next day, in the exact same spot, it happened again, and I said the same things, because, like I said, I don't get excited about anything, and I was more annoyed by the attacks, than anything else.  See, to me, if they were heart attacks and it killed me, well, I didn't care....that's just me and how I think.  I am a very logical, unemotional person, so if they were heart attacks, my logic was that there was nothing that I could do about it at 6 am on a dark country road, so why worry about it?  If it was going to kill me, fine, let it kill me, if not, then stop bothering me! ☺️

meyery2k

@Hammer  Thank you. One interesting fact I learned about seizures is that they can be preceded by events called auras. Anxiety, sight, or smells can preceded a seizure. I am hopeful that when this is resolved, then there will be no more anxiety attacks. 

I would feel anxious and, then, a few seconds later, my leg would twitch, then my arm, on the 2 bad ones. Mm

It is nice to have a few seconds warning. 

FunDad62

Mike: When I was a firefighter/EMT we were taught to turn off all flashing lights on the trucks when arriving at a seizure call as it can trigger them.  A few years ago my daughter had two friends over to spend the night.  I guess they were maybe 10 or 11 at the time.  One of the girls said she had a really bad headache and asked for a drink of water.  She took a sip and slumped over and had a seizure.  No previous history.  She was diagnosed as epileptic.  It was terrifying to see that happen when you have another parents child in your care.  She's doing perfectly fine now on meds.

meyery2k

Not sure yet. With the dextrose and steroids to keep inflammation down which can occur as bacteria die, I know I am a mess. If they forget to test me, it is OK. 

Feeling much better today. I had a bit of a mental fog late last week that I thought was part of my bug. That seems to have lifted. 

I am grateful for everyone's good thoughts. Thank you. 

Kit

88 here

@meyery2k  Yeah, those steroids are going to play havoc with your numbers not even counting the dextrose.  But, in this situation, it likely just needs to be tolerated and will hopefully just be short term.

When I was in the hospital with my broken ankle, it was also carte, so I was able to make the safer choices.  They did have me on a diabetic menu, which meant I couldn't eat 90% of the stuff they had to offer, but there were a few things and it was short term thankfully.  :)

Glad you are feeling better today and hope things continue to go in a positive direction.

meyery2k
5 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

Mike: When I was a firefighter/EMT we were taught to turn off all flashing lights on the trucks when arriving at a seizure call as it can trigger them.  A few years ago my daughter had two friends over to spend the night.  I guess they were maybe 10 or 11 at the time.  One of the girls said she had a really bad headache and asked for a drink of water.  She took a sip and slumped over and had a seizure.  No previous history.  She was diagnosed as epileptic.  It was terrifying to see that happen when you have another parents child in your care.  She's doing perfectly fine now on meds.

The hope is that there was a small abcess between my scalp and my meninge.  There is no scalp there because I had a burr hole to drain a subdural hematoma when I was a baby. The mechanical pressure was possibly the cause. I asked if they could just take a needle and suck it out but that would require a neurologist and an air ambulance trip to Honolulu.  The conference with the neurologist suggested blasting me with antibiotics and see what happens. 

meyery2k
1 hour ago, Kit said:

88 here

@meyery2k  Yeah, those steroids are going to play havoc with your numbers not even counting the dextrose.  But, in this situation, it likely just needs to be tolerated and will hopefully just be short term.

When I was in the hospital with my broken ankle, it was also carte, so I was able to make the safer choices.  They did have me on a diabetic menu, which meant I couldn't eat 90% of the stuff they had to offer, but there were a few things and it was short term thankfully.  :)

Glad you are feeling better today and hope things continue to go in a positive direction.

When I first came in they mentioned insulin. So far none. I think not knowing is better. I would just stress more knowing. When I get home I will give myself some time to get back on track and ask my PCP for Metformin if it is not quick enough. I am happy not to take insulin for now. I think would be happier being hyper glycemic rather than deal with the roller coaster. 

adiantum

I know its a food/exercise ratio  but I cant decipher it lately. I was too weary to do anything yesterday, so maybe I was too weary to raid the kitchen.

Mike, I am oh so very happy that your feeling better.

Hammer

A 78 (4.33) today.

Mike, you mentioned that anxiety, sight or smell can trigger a seizure...I don't know if you remember this but years ago, there was a TV show in Japan that first discovered this.  The TV show had a segment where is was an animated scene, and it had flashing lights in the scene.  After that scene, many parents were calling for an ambulance because their kids were having seizures.  It was discovered that a scene like that with flashing lights, was causing the seizures.  Later on, the same thing started happening here in the states, so the TV shows now have to be careful of putting flashing lights into a scene.

meyery2k

My curiosity got the better of me. My blood work showed 156. Close to yesterday. I can live with that. 

meyery2k

They are getting annoyed with my heart. When I am quiet it goes down to 40 or 45 beats a minute. They say they don't see that. It is normal for me. 

Kit
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

They are getting annoyed with my heart. When I am quiet it goes down to 40 or 45 beats a minute. They say they don't see that. It is normal for me. 

I suspect that's thanks to all the bike riding you do. You've been giving your heart great exercise. :)

meyery2k

Yes. That is comforting to me because it means I am truly resting. Hoping it is a sign I am getting better. 

Kit

91 on this foggy morning. 

Hoping you continue to improve today Mike!