Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

adiantum

an early visit to the park this morning was in time to see the dollar birds for first time this season. They come down from Papua New Guinea to breed & will return there for the Winter. Eurystomus orientalis  has a white spot on the undersides of the wings that resemble the dollar and stands out clearly when their in flight hunting for insects.

Borrowed pic..

Dollarbird-ct580-580x368.jpg

meyery2k

Free at last!  Free at last!  I got home about 90 minutes ago.

157 again.  Now that I am off IV and steroids, I am hoping that will resolve.  I am urinating glucose too.  No surprises there.  This is a setback on my control but it had to be done.  Still, from what I have seen can happen on steroids, fasting at 157 is not too horrible.

So I ended up having "only" viral meningitis which would have likely self resolved.  That was not a likely cause for my seizures.  The neurologist is of the opinion that scar tissue from that burr hole has begun pressing on my brain.  I had a small episode last night where I stuttered only.  It lasted less than 30 seconds.  I was disappointed but there is no control I have over that.

I am home.  I will be taking anti-seizure medicine for now.  By state law, I cannot operate a motor vehicle without being seizure free for 6 months.  It is believed I can use my bicycle after giving the medicine I am taking a chance to build up in my system (about 1 week).  My employer will likely allow my adult son, Tim, to drive me to work sites.  I don't have to roll too often.  I am happy to ride my bike for errands.  I do it anyway.

So this begins a new trail on the road of my life.  I don't like the idea of just throwing medicine at me in the beginning but, thinking this through, it is the right course.  The goal is to not have seizures and I realize I can be seriously hurt so an abundance of caution is probably good.  I see the neurologist on 3 months time for further evaluation.  I do plan, however to see if my PCP would consider sending me to another neurologist for a 2nd opinion.  Admittedly I just saw this doctor after my stutter incident and I felt like he was brushing me off.  I was being emotional.  Still, this is a big deal.  I learned the valuable lesson of getting facts and information from here.  The more information I have the better informed decisions I can make.

I would like to join an epilepsy forum since people that live with this will have the best practical advice.  If anyone here has any recommendations, I would appreciate them.

Thank you for your well wishes and posts they kept me cheered up while in the hospital. ~ Mike

ran23

121 this morning.  too bad my new BP med's do not seem to be working. 139/96, 154/104 after a hospital visit.   121/86 after walking.   If my Doctor doesn't get back to me, may go back to my Zestril.     fun times

Kit
48 minutes ago, meyery2k said:

Free at last!  Free at last!  I got home about 90 minutes ago.

157 again.  Now that I am off IV and steroids, I am hoping that will resolve.  I am urinating glucose too.  No surprises there.  This is a setback on my control but it had to be done.  Still, from what I have seen can happen on steroids, fasting at 157 is not too horrible.

So I ended up having "only" viral meningitis which would have likely self resolved.  That was not a likely cause for my seizures.  The neurologist is of the opinion that scar tissue from that burr hole has begun pressing on my brain.  I had a small episode last night where I stuttered only.  It lasted less than 30 seconds.  I was disappointed but there is no control I have over that.

I am home.  I will be taking anti-seizure medicine for now.  By state law, I cannot operate a motor vehicle without being seizure free for 6 months.  It is believed I can use my bicycle after giving the medicine I am taking a chance to build up in my system (about 1 week).  My employer will likely allow my adult son, Tim, to drive me to work sites.  I don't have to roll too often.  I am happy to ride my bike for errands.  I do it anyway.

So this begins a new trail on the road of my life.  I don't like the idea of just throwing medicine at me in the beginning but, thinking this through, it is the right course.  The goal is to not have seizures and I realize I can be seriously hurt so an abundance of caution is probably good.  I see the neurologist on 3 months time for further evaluation.  I do plan, however to see if my PCP would consider sending me to another neurologist for a 2nd opinion.  Admittedly I just saw this doctor after my stutter incident and I felt like he was brushing me off.  I was being emotional.  Still, this is a big deal.  I learned the valuable lesson of getting facts and information from here.  The more information I have the better informed decisions I can make.

I would like to join an epilepsy forum since people that live with this will have the best practical advice.  If anyone here has any recommendations, I would appreciate them.

Thank you for your well wishes and posts they kept me cheered up while in the hospital. ~ Mike

Only viral meningitis??  That seems a big understatement to me.  Granted I know very little about the subject so who knows.  :)

I don't think it would hurt to get a second opinion.  If you feel like you're being brushed off, that may very well be the case.  OMG, you had to call 911 and were in the hospital for days and was having seizures.  You are ALLOWED to be emotional!  That's some scary crap.

I would be interested to see if something could be done about the scar tissue.  I realize that sometimes more fiddling around can cause more harm than good, but it might be worth while to at least consider what might or might not be done.

Anyway, I bet its a relief to finally be going home.  I bet the kitties will be happy too.  :)

meyery2k

@Kit - Meningitis of any sort is, of course, not good.  Viral generally is mild, causes mainly flu like symptoms, and self resolves within a week.  Complications are pretty rare.  Bacterial meningitis, on the other hand, can take you out in a day.  They were concerned about me having bacterial meningitis because my blood work showed an infection and I had a fever.  I also had recent surgery on my scalp.  It takes 3 days to culture bacteria from the blood and spinal tap and those were negative.

Yes.  I have a great deal of uncertainty over the future.  Losing control of my body while being fully conscious was terrifying.  I was ashamed.  I know there is no reason to be ashamed but that is human nature so I was ashamed.  The past few days have restored some of my confidence.  Really, the only choice I have is to jump in there and see what happens.  I can't let fear and apprehension rule me.  Today I went to Long's to get my prescriptions and all was well.  That helped.  Every so often I told myself, "commence sanity check, sanity check passed, end of line).  I probably got some looks in the store but Battlestar Galactica fans would appreciate it.  It helped reassure me that I was OK since stuttering is a thing I seem to do when I get these.

Bella was morose while I was gone.  She doesn't like her "poppop" not being home.  Tigger is happy to have his social unit reformed but he handles my being away much better.

One thought I had (I can imagine Kala rolling her eyes and saying, "Oh God") would be if they could maybe cut the scalp out and put some dressing to prevent brain damage while new tissue grew back.  It would be major work and I suppose having your brain hanging out in the open like that could be pretty risky but that would be a good question for the neurologist.  Or maybe open the part that is skin, scrape down the bottom some to reduce the thickness and seal it back in.

Diana_CT

I feel like a yo-yo... up... down...

This morning's reading was 130.

I missed lunch and all I had for supper was a bowl of Cheerios with blueberries and unsweetened tea, breakfast was bacon and eggs with a muffin and tomato juice. 

FunDad62

I don't think I had 400 calories yesterday.  Was pretty sick with semi-sharp stomach pain, "bathroom trips" and a headache.  I really thought I was getting the flu or something.  Feel fine this morning.  Go figure.

Oh and I watched a show on Netflix last night called "The Game Changers".  It's about uber-athletes and how their training and results changed when they switched to a plant-based diet.  Pretty interesting.  Check it out.

Edited by FunDad62

meyery2k

Today was a pleasant surprise.  I was dreading the test.  Since the assault of dextrose and steroids has ceased, I tested at 98 compared to the 150's I had been getting.  I tested 3 times.  98, 96, 98.

I am feeling well today.  I have a service call at a site.  Tim will drive me there.  These things help me get my confidence back.

I now have to document what has been happening to me.  I can sense a bit of a fight with the neurologist and when I get a second opinion I want to be able to clearly explain from my point of view what I observed.  This was a big deal.  I can't just sit back and blindly accept what I am told and just follow the advice.  If I did that with diabetes, I would not have come this far.  

adiantum

I'll have to get a smart phone soon for all its benefits. an email from gov recommending getting my drivers license put on the smart phone.

That would be so handy as I dont like carrying a wallet just to go to the dog park.

Progress is good.

Mike I love reading your progress & glad Tim is there for you.

FunDad62

Self inflicted.  Had my yearly physical yesterday for my insurance discount.  Only concern was my blood pressure being "on the border" of being too high.  Told me to start walking again and cut back on the alcohol.

janice21475
22 hours ago, meyery2k said:

I now have to document what has been happening to me.  I can sense a bit of a fight with the neurologist and when I get a second opinion I want to be able to clearly explain from my point of view what I observed.  This was a big deal.  I can't just sit back and blindly accept what I am told and just follow the advice.  If I did that with diabetes, I would not have come this far.  (Cue in the Theme to Rocky!)

I have no doubt you will get this as 'under control' as possible. You may have been put on this Earth as a shining example of the value of structure and discipline. I have confidence, if it is humanly possible, you will work out this new challenge. Go get 'um friend. 

Ahnanimus

103 that's what I  get for celebrating my 5.3 A1C by eating  cheese danish.

Mike  you should definitely get a second opinion.  Earlier this year my daughter  had seizures and at one point lost her sight. The first diagnosis was that she had suffered a stroke, although there was no evidence to substantiate that

They put her on anti seizure medication which she was supposed to take for 6 months. Eventually, because I  had no confidence in their diagnosis, we did an MRI on her head. The results showed her brain was in perfect condition . She never had a stroke and as I had suspected, the seizures were caused by a build up of toxins as a result of insufficient clearance by the peritoneal dyalisis she was doing at the time.

I guess her nephrologist was not very pleased with me, but if I had to choose between his ego and her health, he would lose every time. 

Kit

90 even this morning

According to my data (which obviously does not cover 24 hours a day), my averages go as follows.

Last 3 months - 93.9

Last 1 month -  92.2

Last week - 87.6

And that includes the higher numbers I was having a few weeks ago.  I am happy with these trends.

meyery2k

100 today, bah...

My daughter shares a joy of dark humor.  She came by to see me and we went to Target.  At the checkout, she asked me where I had my seizure.  I pointed to the spot and said, "and there I was flopping around on the ground like a landed fish."  We had a good laugh that did us both a world of good.

meyery2k
42 minutes ago, Ahnanimus said:

103 that's what I  get for celebrating my 5.3 A1C by eating  cheese danish.

Mike  you should definitely get a second opinion.  Earlier this year my daughter  had seizures and at one point lost her sight. The first diagnosis was that she had suffered a stroke, although there was no evidence to substantiate that

They put her on anti seizure medication which she was supposed to take for 6 months. Eventually, because I  had no confidence in their diagnosis, we did an MRI on her head. The results showed her brain was in perfect condition . She never had a stroke and as I had suspected, the seizures were caused by a build up of toxins as a result of insufficient clearance by the peritoneal dyalisis she was doing at the time.

I guess her nephrologist was not very pleased with me, but if I had to choose between his ego and her health, he would lose every time. 

Thank you and this is exactly why I want to do that.  I think I understand the point of view of the doctor.  He probably gets an earful because the patient wants to drive as soon as possible.  The state law is you must be seizure free for 6 months.  If this is the only goal then, yes, give a handful of pills and send them on.  I don't function like that.  I can manage around not driving.  I don't like it at all, but I can manage.  I have legs and I can ride my bike or walk.  One of my bikes is setup for errands and I can do everything I need to do on it.  If I need the use of a car, my family and friends are there.  I see my PCP tomorrow and I trust him.  I will share my thoughts with him and go from there.