Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

Kit

88 here

I can't help but smile anytime I get that number. Back when all of this started for me, I was struggling so hard and I had been quite upset by my numbers numerous times. I was still following the official recommendations. 

I woke up one morning I think it was and, as usual, grabbed my kit to check my numbers. Opened the case to see a sticky note stuck to the screen of the meter with 88 written on it. 

I laughed so hard and I so badly needed that laugh. And I remember feeling so proud the first time I showed Mr Fuzzy I had hit that number for real. 

Diana_CT

183??? Washed my hands and retested 175???

I have no idea what happened, I didn't eat anything different or out of the ordinary. Cheerios with blueberries for breakfast, an egg salad sandwich for lunch, and a hamburger patty with cheese and a 1/4 cup of frozen corn (about 20g carbs). And I was drinking unsweetened decaf tea all day. 

Kit

84 here. 

@Diana_CTwhat do your pre and post meal numbers look like?

I would let that guide you on what your body can or cannot tolerate. 

Personally I'd never be able to get away with eating like that. 

Diana_CT
1 hour ago, Kit said:

84 here. 

@Diana_CTwhat do your pre and post meal numbers look like?

I would let that guide you on what your body can or cannot tolerate. 

Personally I'd never be able to get away with eating like that. 

Unfortunately, Medicare only pays for one test strips a day. 

Kit
13 minutes ago, Diana_CT said:

Unfortunately, Medicare only pays for one test strips a day. 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Blood+glucose+test+strips&ref=is_s

Not the cheapest solution but would allow you to at least be able to test a little more often to see how meals are affecting you. 

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Relion prime

Been personally using these for over 5 years. No one dictates how often I can or cannot test. 

There is no excuse for not testing. 

meyery2k

@Diana_CT - We are family so we can, I hope, speak frankly.  I agree with Kit.  My numbers have been higher than I like since coming home.  I have been testing randomly through the day and am somewhat comforted that I am at least staying stable in the low 100's.  I am hopeful that getting back on my bike will help shave 10 points off the recent fasting readings I am seeing.  I would consider the $20 for 100 strips a necessary expense for me and, if I were on a fixed income, I would manage to do whatever I could to scrape it up.  The peace of mind is worth it to me.

adiantum

6.1 but I certainly wont test again after just having maccas for breakfast.

I had to shop early for birds food & before the heat of the day.

I got a bacon & egg mcmuffin & the dog eats the bacon.

26.5 carbs in that muffin.

There'll be a sad child in this region... on the sides of the road for about 2Km  I saw 2 dolls & 3 teddy bears.

That precious cargo wasn't secured for transport.

Hammer

An 81 (4.5) today.

If you are using insulin, you're allowed 3 test strips a day (like that's going to tell you a lot), if you're not using insulin, you're allowed 1 test strip a day (which will tell you even less).  If you need more than this number of test strips a day, you need to have your doctor fill out a form that the insurance company will send him/her, explaining why you need more test strips a day.  Most doctors don't want to be bothered filling out yet, another form, so they just won't give you more test strips a day.

Diana, Cheerios (20 carbs for ¾  cup)....bad....blueberries (10 carbs for ½ cup)....bad.....egg salad sandwich, egg salad is good, the bread is bad (carbs vary depending on the bread).  Most of us here would have high BG numbers if we ate those foods.

adiantum

Tightening the budget is happening here too.

Until last year we needed one referral from the doctor claiming we needed test strips & that enabled us to get ultra cheap strips without limitations.

Then they changed it... now we must get a referral from the doctor every six months to get the gov subsidized strips.

I dont know if theres a limit but I get heaps...60c for 50 & I usually get 300 strips at a time at $3.60

Kit

99 here

Well I think I'm on another up tick.  After yesterday morning in the 80s, I was over 100 by mid day  *sigh*

I'm going to ride it out again and see what happens.  I'm recording all of this data and planning on graphing things out once I have another month under my belt to see if I can determine any patterns and if there is something I can do about it.

It almost seems weird now I am dreaming again.  Its been so long I had almost forgotten what it was actually like.

Edited by Kit

Ahnanimus

103 today.

One can only get strips here if you're diagnosed  type 1. Apparently, they think type 2's do not need to test, just take the prescribed medication.  I therefore pay the equivalent of $23.00 US for 50. The Diabetes Association has recently started selling them at a reduced price equivalent  to $13.00US , but I'm nòt sure if that will be available all the time. Also, it's only one brand.  It's expensive but the control and peace of mind is worth it.