Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

FunDad62

I haven't been on lately because my readings are embarrassing. Didn't get in to the 20's here like they predicted.  Mid 30's.  A heatwave compared to up north.

Diana_CT
2 hours ago, adiantum said:

It will not be that bad here in Connecticut we have the reality warm ocean next to us which will somewhat moderate the temperatures here. We are only supposed to get in the teens (-10C to -7C) here but with the wind it will feel like -12F (-24C).

polarvortex.jpg

This is from NOAA tweet this morning/

The water temperature in Long Island Sound is 37F (3C) but a 100 miles (160 Km) out in the ocean it is in the sixties (15C) from the Gulf Stream. That warm moist air can cause so super winter storms leaving many feet of snow.

That is not to say it doesn’t get really cold here, it can get way below 0 (-18C) under the right conditions but for tonight and tomorrow the cold air is coming from the mid-west and not from Canada.

Kit

85 her boing boing boing

I do not miss weather like that. Growing up in the Midwest, it always seemed to hit really early February and one of the few times our superintendent would consider closing the schools in town. 

He did not believe in ever closing schools so it was a pretty big deal when it happened. 

TX_Clint

86 this morning. Our lowest this week has been 42°F and forecast warming to the high 60's by mid next week.

Hammer

A 101 (5.61) today.  Tonight, it's supposed to drop down to 0°F (-18°C), with winds blowing at 24 mph (38.6 kph).  That results in a wind chill of -23.7°F (-30.9°C).  Now that's my kind of weather!  Heck, I might even go outside and sit on my porch and just listen to the wind blowing, although at those temperatures, I'll probably need to put on a long sleeve shirt over my tee shirt, and put the hood up on my zippered hoodie.☺️

While a lot of people would have a hard time being outside in weather like that, I'd have a hard time being outside in the weather that Lee is experiencing.  If it was that hot here in the summer, it would probably kill me.  

meyery2k

90 this morning and a brisk 68° F(20°C) here.  It is so cold, we have to wear socks with our "flip-flops" :hello:

adiantum

FunDad,  I can relate to your being reticent, but I make myself post my unwanted numbers.

It helps me to strive all through the day  for better , or... I'd fall hard off the wagon.

Today is predicted to be 40c / 104F so I wont be mowing the lawn.

I'll be washing my shoes instead.:angry:

Tuesday, I walked into the lake to encourage my dog to swim so need to wash the salt water from them.

That water was so warm that it was like stepping into a bath..horrible when I expected it to be cool.

Wednesdays visit to the park  I was greeted by 2 huge friendly dogs.

So they got the message that I belonged to a Cavalier KC Spaniel, he peed on my foot to mark his territory.

He had a full bladder & I squelched every step I took.

I feel sorry for our school children as many classrooms are without aircon in public schools.

Catholic schools have air con but they get greater funding then the public.

FunDad62
44 minutes ago, adiantum said:

Today is predicted to be 40c / 104F so I wont be mowing the lawn.

That water was so warm that it was like stepping into a bath..horrible when I expected it to be cool.

I feel sorry for our school children as many classrooms are without aircon in public schools.

Catholic schools have air con but they get greater funding then the public.

Ironic isn't it?  You're dying from the heat and we're dying from the cold.  The Earth's tilted axis is a cruel joke.

I remember several years ago when I had a rental condo and would take my daughters there to swim in the pool in summer, the water would be like that.  I wouldn't even get in.  They didn't care.

My high school was one of the oldest high schools in the country and out of 7 buildings, only 2 had a/c.  Brutal.

I thought salt water was good for dogs?  Kills fleas and such.

adiantum

Fleas? 

Dogs today are so full of tick & flea treatments that I  hope fleas will eventually become extinct .

These weather extremes might be natures way of culling humans :)))

steel
10 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

I haven't been on lately because my readings are embarrassing. Didn't get in to the 20's here like they predicted.  Mid 30's.  A heatwave compared to up north.

I know it's easier said than done..but really there's no such thing as an embarrassing reading, just a snapshot in time. I didn't want to post on this thread a few months back, because my readings were higher. I was too embarrassed to post. Even now I feel self conscious about some readings, but I tell myself we're here for each other.  ❤️ It's a taxing, unpredictable disease..shoot happens. I am glad we aren't a judgy group, as there's plenty of this type irl.

--

FBG 100 on one hand, 106 on the other..same thing.

Good news: had my first ever eye exam..was very very nervous! turns out there's no damage of any kind. my eyes are perfectly fine, and i have perfect vision. i do have some trouble with dry eyes and light sensitivity, which i've had seen my teens.

@Kit saw the neurologist. she kept insisting the white matter changes were from diabetes and 'high cholesterol' (ldl that was borderline is now well within normal limits and my triglycerides are like 0.6). my bp was 115/65 but yeah ...clearly it's the diabetes and cholesterol damaging white matter already and ...i am told it's going to get worse because diabetes is progressive.  *insert intense internal eye rolling*

and i was thinking... are you even serious? there are t1s that have had diabetes since childhood who haven't developed white matter changes. in fact, the majority of diabetics don't have these changes.  even in the studies you had linked and the research i conducted, white spots are seen in hypertensive diabetics and not those with normal bp. overall they're associated with hypertension in the general population...something i've never had. however, even children with migraines are seen to have white spots on mris. but my 4 spots are apparently 'too much' and must have resulted from diabetes. after i brought up the studies and elaborated on my findings, she agreed to send me to a neurologist who specializes in white matter changes.

it's interesting that the blood vessels in the eyes are very small and quite fragile, compared to the rest of the body. eye health speaks volumes about brain health. there's no diabetic damage (let alone hypertensive..as it's not even an issue) in my eyes, but a few years of prediabetes and a recent diagnosis of t2 has damaged my white matter. puhleez.

i also don't appreciate the fearmongering about strokes. she made me feel like a sickly mess, and everything was from diabetes and my weight. white spots aren't even associated with fatness. anyway, here's hoping both of our white matter changes plateau and show no negative changes. my first a1c since diagnosis was 4.9. going by meter average it was 5.3%. i don't need to be frightened into eating low fat (lol) or else...stroke. i just smiled and nodded at that nonsense haha.

Diana_CT

102 this morning. 😀

I woke to the rumble of snow plows this morning we had a dusting of about 2" (5cm) of light fluffy snow over night

Edited by Diana_CT

FunDad62

14 hours ago, adiantum said:

Dogs today are so full of tick & flea treatments that I  hope fleas will eventually become extinct 

And mosquito's hopefully. :)

Diana_CT
58 minutes ago, FunDad62 said:

And mosquito's hopefully. :)

And I hope also ticks. Over all the winter has been relatively mild with little snow and that means a lot of ticks this summer. 

Kit

95 here.

@steel  you have my sympathy.  Some doctors get, IMO, lazy and once you have a something on your chart, everything else has to be because of that and nothing else.

I have also found that older doctors tend to lean more towards wanting to scold and scare regardless of what the patient is or is not doing.  Its one thing if you have someone in there who isn't even trying to control their levels or change their ways and just want more pills to pop instead.  But when you have someone who is very obviously working, and that lab results show that they are successful, scolding and fear mongering is not the way to approach things.  Actually fear mongering usually doesn't work well on those who don't either.

I swear, I have spent so much of my life with people trying to control me one way or another with fear mongering that in all honesty I react very badly to it now.

I ended up going back to the family clinic I had been to at the start.  Its a training clinic.  New doctors do a residency under a few more experienced doctors.  They tend to be more up to date and optimistic.  I initially left because I had problems with their administrative staff.  Its hard to get help from your doctor if your requests are being intercepted and blocked.  I have been assured that the issues have been dealt with, so we'll see how it goes.  I do like the doctors I have had there so far.

My previous doctor I went to literally walked into the room attacking me.  The one I just saw walked into the room and said "here's my star diabetic patient".

Edited by Kit

meyery2k

Last month, my at home A1c test was 5.0.  I suspected this was because I relaxed my diet a little between Thanksgiving and the New Year.  A lot more protein and carbs than the norm.  My weight was beginning to reflect this as well.  It was up to 216.  Ah, eggnog, birthday cake, my daughter's bake day  Auntie Diane's chocolate torte, all kinds of wonderful proteins, alas!  My cycling, I believe, helped to mitigate some of this.  While my fasting numbers were not higher than normal, I performed some random testing and observed a few spikes.  The worst was 139.  While not horrible, it is not where I want to be.

January 2, I got myself back into good habits.  Weight is down to the normal 210-212 and I just took my at home A1c and it was the usual 4.6

This further reinforces my belief that I am primarily insulin resistant and I was simply eating so much food at one time, it manifested as diabetes.  I even noticed on my chart that it is stated that I have "mild" diabetes that is controlled with diet and exercise.

My PCP was skeptical of my diet at first.  After I lost the weight and got everything under control he became supportive.  He admitted that he would not have believed it had he not seen it.  I understand he tries to stress the importance of diet and exercise and even "has a patient that got off meds"...

This year, I will try to please the dermatologist since it is to our mutual benefit.  In spite of sunscreen, my arms are still much too tan.  I need to get in the habit of wearing my removable deflector sleeves in the middle of the day.  They breathe so they are not too horrible, I just need to use them.  I have a cyclist hat that is made to be worn under the helmet so that offers some facial protection. 

steel

Still a bit higher at 104

for the past few days I have has barely any carbs. In fact I was so thirsty (eating like 10 grams of carbs like stricter keto is diuretic) I thought my bg was high. I checked it was 5.2 a few hours later it was about the same.  but the fasting numbers are still a bit higher than the 90s I was getting.  yes meter variance can be a factor but it's a trend.

My period usually starts right after I get done taking provera. This time it's been a week...and nothing. I'm pretty sure that's worsening insulin resistance. In the past when I've had less than 20 carbs,  my fasting numbers have been in the 80s. Anyway it's good to have an idea of whats up.

adiantum

8.2 again.

Pinch & a punch..for the first day of the month.

January was the hottest month since records have been taken.

It had both the highest min & max temperatures.

This caused my inactivity so could be why my numbers are up.

Mike, Ive noticed casual riders here  have a 'flap' covering the backs of their necks.

Makes sense as thats where I get burnt 

Heres hoping mosquitoes & ticks also become extinct, but may the coffee plants be saved...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-01-17/coffee-facing-extinction-climate-change/10713870

Edited by adiantum