Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

meyery2k

@fattyboyjp3 - Great to see you!  Sorry you are depressed.  Can you bike too much? 

Just my idea, before you get into anything like IF, it might help to work on eating right for 3 meals a day and see how that goes.  That worked best for me when I was trying to get a handle on things.  I then dallied with IF and some other ideas but 3 good meals a day seems to work best for me.  

If you eat the right things, believe me, you don't have to starve.

In the beginning willpower is needed yes.  I find it to be a negative motivational tool though a necessary one.  When we try just will power then we break down, give in, and so on.  The best feeling is when willpower is transformed to motivation.  This then all becomes much easier.  Think about your cycling.  It takes willpower to do those first few big rides.  Everything hurts.  If you are in a group you get left behind (at least I did).  In time motivation takes over and like we say it doesn't get easier but you get faster.

Please visit us more regularly.  We will listen and help as best we can. :)

meyery2k

@fattyboyjp3 - I just seem to be full of ideas this morning...

Constantly high glucose messes with you mentally too.  It can cause you to feel depressed and angry.  For a time there, it seemed the smallest thing would irritate me.  That went away once I got my numbers down to near normal.

Would you consider posting your previous day's meals every morning here?  Be honest.  If you eat something you know you shouldn't we are not going to judge or berate you.  We might offer alternative ideas.  I found the difficulty in managing this arose largely from simple ignorance on my part and working with experienced people fixed that.  We would be happy to make suggestions or offer ideas.  Eggs with peppers, for example, is a great food.  The apple, maybe not so much.

I found that, from a diabetic point of view, my eating plan was actually mostly good.  I mistakenly thought the cheese and sour cream I enjoyed were the problems being that I needed to lose weight.  It was pointed out that the flour tortillas I enjoyed, as an example, would wreak havoc with my numbers.

We have all been where you are.  We are still learning every day as we age and our bodies change.

I am going to bust out some more borrowed wisdom and that is a corollary on the if you want to be a better cyclist, train with others better than you.  It is frustrating at first because, frankly, you suck when riding with them.  You get left behind, you hurt, you know they are better.  In time, you improve and the feeling when you start keeping up and, indeed, leave some of them behind is great.  You also push yourself to be like them and find you can do things you never thought you could do.  I used to take over 6 hours to ride 125 km.  I recently rode 125 km in 4 hours and 53 minutes.  Much of this improvement was simply riding with those others, learning technique, and finding that I could push myself harder than I was accustomed to.

Replace cyclist with diabetic.  Train with us.  You can do this.  We did it.  It will seem hard at first but it will get easier.

We can now cue the theme from "Rocky" and fade to black...

fattyboyjp3

Meyery2 thanks for the reply!

I will make another thread for that, yea right now it is very hard to go ride it is in the 30s and when I get off work it is 4:30 and by the time I get to my local park I need my lights!  I ride in the woods mostly, I am thinking about getting a gravel bike soon but I really need another MTB! I took my blood again and I am @154 now  @12:34  Its very hard for me to get below this number!  And I have not eaten anything since 6AM

Edited by fattyboyjp3

Kit

91 here

Yeesh, these last two days have been insane.

@fattyboyjp3  I have been doing a mix of 1 or 2 meals a day since Oct 5th and it has its uses.  But at the same time, I suspect its a lot easier if you have already been seriously keto for a while, and I have been for 5 years.

I agree with Mike.  Right now focus on 3 good meals a day.  Try to eliminate snacking and mindless eating.  Focus on making your meals low carb friendly.  Try setting yourself a goal.  Aim for 100g or carbs a day to start.  That's about where I started.  And while it was difficult at the very first, it got easier and easier.  Then you can lower that number based upon the results you are seeing in your meter readings.  Testing before and 2 hours after a meal is often the best feedback you can have on how your body is reacting to foods you are eating.

Carbs trigger hunger and they trigger cravings.  I don't have time to look up all the details again, but basically as insulin levels rise you also see a rise in the hormone which stimulates hunger.  And carbs and rising BG levels will raise your insulin levels.  Oh and you will see a decrease in the hormone which signals satiety.  And we can also become resistant to that hormone.  So we are all aware, if it a very difficult cycle to get out of.  It is very much like trying to break a physical addiction.  Our hormones are literally fighting against us.

So set your starting carb limit and stick to it for a while.  When you adjuect (and you will) then you can lower it until you reach where you need to be.

Or maybe a suggestion I gave for someone else might help.

Natural fats - unlimited, eat as much as you want

Meat/eggs/cheese - eat as much as you want

Low carb veegtables - eat as much as you want

Avoid all sugars, fruits, grains, root vegetables,and other starches.

I'll promise you, its really difficult to horribly over eat on those first 3 items.  Once you have broken your addiction to sugar and carbohydrates, you can cut the rest back to more normal levels.  Actually you may find that you just normally do anyway once those cravings minimize or end.

And remember, attitude is 85% of the battle.  Since you're the one who cooks in the family, this is an opportunity for you to explore new foods, new recipes, and similar.

We're going on an adventure!

adiantum

@IrinaHarr I wouldnt dare... :lol: Most houses in the street are lit up enough for those in the space station to see.

Already there is a convoy of cars each night to view the lights.

I picked a few dead twigs & put them in a vase to hang baubles from them. Its still  on the desk in experimental stage.

a bird mustve been impressed with the latest decor so flew in to perch on a twig...until it broke.

I suspect the barking dog was saying' theres a bird in the house..theres a bird in the house'. 

Bird sensed danger & escaped the mad house.

Edited by adiantum

IrinaHarr
23 hours ago, adiantum said:

@IrinaHarr I wouldnt dare... :lol: Most houses in the street are lit up enough for those in the space station to see.

Already there is a convoy of cars each night to view the lights.

Some people get creative...

ditto.jpg.1ec2725f70d4cb1bcc831e638307ef23.jpg

adiantum

"Ditto " indeed !!:D

I found my effort  looked pathetic compared to others, so it's total darkness for me.

Kit

93 here

Bad night last night. Been up since about 3:30.and I've got a long day to get through. *sigh*