Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

Kit

91 here

Quote of the day:  "How many times do I have to walk between two rooms before I remember where I was going and why?"

steel

Hi guys, back again to share my latest A1C results- 4.8 YAY!!!!!!! 🤩 I can't even..omg! Oh and seen a few fastings in the 4s!

Only testing when I eat something that deviates from my norm. Had a pork hock today with one baby potato and some saurkraut. had a spoonful of spaetzle (sp.). 2 hr pp it was 5.4! not bad at all :)

so umm my doctor wants me to stop metformin. uh..nervous. but will see what happens to that A1C after i stop. i am taking 500 mg x 2 a day.

--

fasting this morning was 4.7- 80 something (this doesn't happen often i am sure as i don't test daily but it was nice to see!)

Diana_CT

On this Friday morning my reading was 106.

I had a real hard time with getting a sample, at night the thermostat is set back to 55. I was reading in bed and I think that my hands got cold. 

Hammer

An 81 (4.5) today.  Diana, I have electric baseboard heat, so every room has it's own thermostat.  In the winter, I have each thermostat set to 60°F (15.5°C).  Because my house is cold, I would also have trouble getting a drop of blood from my finger to do a test, so what I do is to place a test strip in the meter, set the lancing device, then go into my bedroom and turn my hair blow dryer on high and blow the hot air onto my hand.  I turn the hand over several times to warm it up completely, then, when my hand is warm enough, I blow the hot air into my pocket for several seconds to warm up my pocket.  Once that's done, I turn off the blow dryer, and place my warmed up hand in the warmed up pocket to keep it warm while I walk into the dining room where my testing supplies are ready to go.  Doing that has prevented any problems with trying to get a drop of blood.

Hammer
On 12/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, IrinaHarr said:

Walmart or pharmacy like Walgreens A1C test kit. Good for 2 tests, no reason to do it more often than once a month; 3 months is preferred (3 months period is enough to renew all your blood, so eating right and exercise should show definite improvement in a1c after 3 months).

Yes, and you can also buy that same kit with more than two tests.  I have this kit which is good for 4 tests, and there are other kits that allow for 12 tests.  I was going to get the 2 test kit, until I saw the 4 test kit.  The 2 test kit was more expensive, so I opted for the 4 test kit.

Like IrinaHarr mentioned, there is no point in checking your A1C more than once every three months.  If you test more often than that, you are just testing the same blood cells that you tested during your previous test, so you will get the same reading.  As she said, blood cells are replaced every three months, so if you test every three months, then the second test will be testing all new blood cells, which is what you want.

Edited by Hammer

meyery2k
6 hours ago, steel said:

so umm my doctor wants me to stop metformin. uh..nervous. but will see what happens to that A1C after i stop. i am taking 500 mg x 2 a day.

Congratulations!  I had that same dilemma too.  The doctor insisted I didn't need Metformin but it became a sort of security blanket for me.  My advice would be to do what you feel is best for you.  If you stop taking the Metformin, then you can always start up again if it doesn't work out.

I am glad to see you are doing well!  I have missed you.  Stop by once in a while :) ~ Mike

Kit
6 hours ago, steel said:

Hi guys, back again to share my latest A1C results- 4.8 YAY!!!!!!! 🤩 I can't even..omg! Oh and seen a few fastings in the 4s!

Only testing when I eat something that deviates from my norm. Had a pork hock today with one baby potato and some saurkraut. had a spoonful of spaetzle (sp.). 2 hr pp it was 5.4! not bad at all :)

--

fasting this morning was 4.7- 80 something (this doesn't happen often i am sure as i don't test daily but it was nice to see!)

Awesome job! 

I asked for a compromise and halved my dose to just once a day. If I can get it back under 5 and keep it there, I'll drop it all together.

meyery2k

91 again today.  Looking forward to riding my bike this weekend.  Going to be a busy weekend with bell ringing and other stuff but I will manage to push the pedals some.

adiantum

6.5 ..yay steel !!!

I'm waiting for the supermarkets early delivery of clumping kitty litter.

i have a chore & hope the cats litter will fix it.

some *$#@!!  has dumped a tub of oil beside the bin next to the dogs park.

Worried that some twit will tip it over, so I plan to fill the tub with kitty litter & stir it in to create a solid.

It worked on the old paint cans & it worked on an oil spill on a driveway.