Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

meyery2k

Speaking of Fiare, we just had another grand adventure.  We climbed Mauna Loa.  The paved road ends at 3,353M (11,000 feet).  The big challenge is to start at sea level and go all the way up.  My friends at the bike store advised against that for a first go since I have never ridden at altitude.  They recommended I start at the road that turns off the main highway.  The start altitude is about 2,000M (~6,500 feet).  The road is 30 km long (a little less than 15 miles) one way and the climb is 1,353M (~3,500 feet).  The average grade is about 4.5%.  While not the longest ride I have done, it was easily the most physically and mentally demanding.  It is all uphill and there are some 8% grades in the last part of the ride to make this even more fun.  I was riding at altitude so breathing was tough.  It was cold.  I had long sleeves and full finger gloves.  I actually stayed pretty warm going up since you work bloody hard.

This was a group ride.  We started with 4 and ended with 2 (don't worry, the other turned around).  It took me a little under 3 hours to make the ascent.  Whether that is good or bad, I don't know, but I am satisfied that I made it.  Having the other rider pushed me to make it.  I really believe I would have turned around at several points had I gone solo.

The top was interesting.  No plants, no birds, no noise except the wind and whatever noise you make.  The slopes of these volcanoes have been used for astronaut training for the lunar landings.  The also simulate what a biosphere on Mars or the Moon might be like.  While the utter barrenness offers a unique beauty, I am glad to live among the plants and animals of our biosphere. 

Going down was fun!  Like an hour long rollercoaster ride.  At the bottom the other rider was done but I had a little more in me.  I rode on the highway to another park and back to make for a 75km ride in total.

Dawn - There was just the smallest sliver of a nearly new Moon which can be seen if you zoom on the photo...

366711630_20190202_063931(576x1024).thumb.jpg.271b814f58a18038c176bf38b91c0e24.jpg

This was the starting point.  The kipuka.  A kipuka is an island of land that was surrounded by lava.  These can be interesting because sometimes evolution takes some interesting turns in these isolated spots.  The kipuka will be used as a reference to show progress of the ride.

72411512_20190202_075338(1024x554).thumb.jpg.bcd8096a28b35e3bd7c2c3a3b7ed1e29.jpg

Various rest stops.

1531352165_20190202_084645(1024x576).thumb.jpg.adf25ebdd614e105345c43b0d3c9b73d.jpg1356520878_20190202_090611(1024x576).thumb.jpg.3169813cd8d957104e28829fa4f4630f.jpg

Way, way, off in the distance is Hilo, my hometown...

1216128698_20190202_093910(1024x560).thumb.jpg.a6cf2e6300b077fcea19760f118fdc32.jpg

Couple more rest stops.  The elevation is painted onto the road pavement.

511893601_20190202_093950(1024x572).thumb.jpg.ef946064c9c686b27ccabba3731b6ce5.jpg529964511_20190202_101748(1024x557).thumb.jpg.dbaf57f33b2fcd30b53a15bcfd6d4dd6.jpg

The top of the road.  Made it!

1668664828_20190202_101755(1024x576).thumb.jpg.3d9b749f746fe9c661c2992c6e523c0a.jpg1809963099_20190202_110517(1024x556).thumb.jpg.4b1cc2f338737e9480af8c0edfd1a092.jpg

After the descent, I found this line of cumulus clouds interesting...

1733958555_20190202_133424(1024x538).thumb.jpg.72b11af484b929166e132cc688888852.jpg

FunDad62

I haven't done my walking in a week.  Was too cold the first half and rainy the second half.  Excuses, I know.  I'm going today.  I enjoy the solitude.

@meyery2k - Those are some really neat pictures.  If a couple of them were in black and white I'd swear you were standing on the Moon.  Lol.  Nice to see those secluded roads.  I suspect there's not much car traffic?  Be safe.  My oldest brother was killed in 2006 while riding his bike.  Hit and run.  Never did find out who hit him.  But he was on a very busy 4 lane road at night.

meyery2k

83 today.

@FunDad62 - It is like another world.  They train astronauts on these slopes.  

2 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

My oldest brother was killed in 2006 while riding his bike.  Hit and run.  Never did find out who hit him.

I am sorry about your brother.  It can be a dangerous activity and then add cars to the mix.  The man that invited me to ride with the Saturday group that I met just 3 weeks ago was hit by a car recently.  I just learned yesterday when we started our ride.  He had to be medically evacuated to Honolulu.  Broken ribs, collarbone, punctured lung.  I don't know any details other than that he was hit by a car.

Kit

94 for me

@meyery2k  It doesn't matter whether or not you were fast on the ride.  What matters is that you did it.  And that means you can do it again.  :)

@steel  Even after 5 years I some times get a little down about the fact that if I want something special, I have to make it myself from scratch.  And to add fun to that, I have always been an indifferent baker at the best of times.  On the plus side, after 5 years without, its not much of a deal anymore.

Spent yesterday on chores and I did a little batch cooking.  Made a triple batch of zucchini fritters.  They are so handy to have around.  I do wonder how well they might freeze.  Considered trying it, but I never keep them around for long enough to find out.  Just tried to use two of them for a bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwich.  Messy but it tasted really good.  

I also cooked up 5 pounds of taco meat.  Mr Fuzzy is in heaven and I had a yummy taco salad for dinner last night.

meyery2k
16 minutes ago, Kit said:

It doesn't matter whether or not you were fast on the ride.  What matters is that you did it.  And that means you can do it again.

Very true.  Thank you.  I kept telling myself the mantra that if I made it halfway, I can make it all the way lol... 🚴‍♀️

Hammer
5 hours ago, Kit said:

@steel  Even after 5 years I some times get a little down about the fact that if I want something special, I have to make it myself from scratch. 

Kit, it seems that people can make most anything from scratch, so I need to get me some.  Where can I buy some scratch?😄

Hammer

Mike, those are some beautiful photos!  They did me to thinking about something that I had never thought of before....since I have IBS, and I also take blood pressure pills that contain a diuretic, how does one go about taking a bathroom break?  In my case, it's so bad, that I never go anywhere where there isn't a bathroom, since I typically have to go every 45 minutes.  Needing to be near a bathroom is always on my mind, so when I see pictures like you posted, that's one of the first things that comes to mind.  If there is some special event that I need to attend, the night before I'll take 3 Imodium AD tablets to eliminate one type of bathroom need, and hope that there are restrooms for the other bathroom needs.

TX_Clint

Lava ash is very absorbent. :thrasher:

I would imagine there are places to stop along the way that won't leave you without some kind of facilities for over an hour.

meyery2k

@Hammer - Most of my rides have bathrooms that I can use.  The solid is not a problem as long as I do that before I ride.  I generally just have to go once a day, fortunately.  Urination is another matter.  I take BP medicine that also acts as a diuretic.  You have to constantly drink water to stay hydrated so, yeah, lots of stops to pee.

On that ride from yesterday, you just do your thing on the side of the road and make sure not to point upwind from yourself.  There is hardly any traffic.  I do have a little TP but I have never had to do a #2 so far during a ride.

meyery2k

I rode out to see Pickles at the store today.  He was his usual fine self.  Hilo sits in the bottom of a bowl geographically being at sea level so anywhere you go ends up being a climb.  Some are easy and some are challenging.  Either way, I have come to appreciate breathing air at sea level pressure.  I could literally feel the air drawing into my lungs today as I breathed compared to yesterday at 9,000 feet plus!

FunDad62

Second post.  Had 1 cup of black coffee and a small handful of sesame sticks.  Just checked and was 200!  Why, why, why,why??? 😕  From sesame sticks? So few.?

Fraser

Not sure what brand of sesame sticks you had, but quick check online. First ingredient: wheat flour carbs per 1 oz 15. And they looked so innocent. 

I just believe things that make you want to munch are full of carbs. 😩

Edited by Fraser

Kit

91 here

Well we got hit by snow and cold temps, though no where near as bad as other areas of the country.

I decided to be a wuss and call in to work.  Its still snowing.  If the weather reports are correct, this won't last thankfully.

Hammer
10 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

95 this morning. Fundad, stock up on some chicharrones. :eating:

I used to eat those a lot, until I decided to read the package and looked beyond the zero carbohydrates.  One 5 ounce bag of those has 2,500 mg of sodium...not good if you need to watch your blood pressure.  Back when I ate those, I also ate several other foods that were zero carbs, but when my doctor became concerned about my blood pressure, even though I was taking one blood pressure medicine, I told her that, before she prescribed a second blood pressure medicine for me, let me see what I can do to reduce my sodium intake.  That's when I read the nutrition labels on the foods that I was eating that were zero carbs.  Sure, they all had zero carbs, but the total amount of sodium in all of the foods, totaled over 10,000 mg!😬  I immediately stopped eating all of those foods, and my blood pressure did droop, but not enough, so my doctor added a second blood pressure medicine back then.  I wish I could still eat those.(I liked the barbeque flavored ones.)