Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

adiantum

Diana you couldve been looking through my windows to see that the PC might need cleaning.

We've had several dust storms & theres an undesirable dust producing industry close by, that even the blades on the fans  look dusty.

Besides...daily dusting isnt one of my skills & I swear I'll hire a cleaner for my next house. I'd much rather be outdoors watching nature.

Yesterday I saw 5 different kinds of butterflies &  2 different damselflies.

Describing those damsels as red & blue just doesnt do them justice.. they were fluro .

Ahnanimus  , jigsaw planet is a great escape from life.. I do at least one a day

steel

so i have an ingrown toe nail. redness and some pain but tolerable. i've shown it to  my GP who prescribed an antiobiotic cream and told me to soak it 20 minutes a day in warm water, 3-4 times. there's no infection.

now i don't know if i should go to a podiatrist. i know foot care is important for diabetics. podiatrist appointments are expensive tho. anyone seen a podiatrist here for an in grown toe nail that isn't infected (yet..anyway)?

Hammer

A 79 (4.39) for me today.

Up until I got my present computer, I would pick up some filter material at the local building supply company, like here in the states it's Home Depot or Lowe's, then cut the filter material to fit in the ventilation ports on the computer's case (I would just push it in the openings).  Every so often, I'd removed the dust filled filter material, and replace it with new filter material.  On the rare occasions that I had to open up the computer's case to change out a hard drive, power supply, graphics card, DVD drive, whatever, I'd check to see if there was any dust in the computer, and there never was.  Keep in mind that my house is one big dust bowl, since I don't dust and vacuum that often, so using the filter material worked great.  I wanted to do that with my present computer, but it has ventilation ports on the bottom, sides, front and back, plus it's so big that it doesn't fit in my computer desk's cubby hole.  If I wanted to place the filter material over all of the ventilation openings on this computer, I'd have to get some of the velcro that has a self adhesive backing to it, stick it around the ventilation openings, and put the filter material on the velcro, and I didn't want to stick anything on the computer's case.  When I first got this computer, I had to open it up to remove some foam packing material that was stuffed inside the computer for shipping, and I noticed that it has 6 large cooling fans to keep it cool, and that doesn't include the cooling fan that is mounted on top of the microprocessor.  That seems like a bit of overkill, if you ask me.  All of my previous computers only had one fan.  This computer has a three position fan speed switch on the top of it, so I can choose what speed I want the fans to run at.(I keep it at the fastest setting.)

Kit

94 for me. 

Busy day ahead. Got a bunch of errands to run that I wasn't able to do last weekend. 

meyery2k

Kit - I find it interesting how we seem to trend/tie.  94 here too.

@steel- I have suffered ingrown nails many times.  I once had to have one removed by the GP.  Keep an eye on it.  No fun if it gets infected.  Extremely painful if it does.

No practical advice except to correctly trim the nail.  Some people just get them no matter what they do.

adiantum

7.4 I guess it couldve been worse.. I went to maccas yesterday & had a fillet of fish.

First time in McDonalds in over 12 years..it will be another 12 or more before I do that again.

Clint thats the day I change my lancet..so much to do on that one  day 

6 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

79 today. I vacuum my PC out once a year on New Years. If I don't she'll just shutdown and refuse to start.

steel

@meyery2k yup will keep an eye on it. i clean it three times a day, to make sure no dust or moisture gathers there. applying antibiotic cream too.  Did any of these ingrown toenails happen after your diabetes? Oh such a small thing..and it's nerve wracking for people with diabetes. My Bg ranges between 80 and 110 (often 1 hr pp then goes down to 100 or lower). This is the best I can do for now, and i am hoping it's good enough control for foot health.

----

BG this morning 93.4 (tbh as long as i am at/under 95 i try not to get too worried). for the first time ever though, I had a wrong reading that was a low! It was a 2.6 (46). And I was like..okay this is impossible...but I'll test again just to be sure. It was 5.2 lol.

Edited by steel

meyery2k
16 hours ago, steel said:

Did any of these ingrown toenails happen after your diabetes? 

I experienced my first one when I was 12.  I had no idea what was going on.  It became inflamed and the doctor had to cut down to the nail bed.  I couldn't wear closed shoes for a couple weeks until it healed.  

I have gotten a few after being diagnosed with diabetes.  I have become adept at removing them on my own but I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.  

meyery2k

86 this morning.

Yesterday, I figured out what to name my second bike, "Kokopelli".  Kokopelli is a Native American spirit that is mischievous, a trickster.

When I went to pick him up, Chad gave him a final once over and the front brake was rubbing.  He swore up and down (and at the bike internally I imagine) that those brakes were perfectly set.  It took him about 30 minutes to set them again as they were not cooperative.

Chad set the seat height and off I went.  

Yesterday, I felt a bit scrunched in the abdomen.  The seat didn't feel right.  I adjusted the seat and shortly thereafter, my knees were going into my chest.  The seat was sliding back into the post.  I stopped to adjust and tightened the bolt even more.  It happened again, rinse and repeat.  After several incidents, I tightened the bolt as hard as I could and asked him to stop so we could ride.  He cooperated and no further problems.  Kokopelli came to me as a name.

My Mom loved Kokopelli and, sadly, she passed away before I got myself back into shape.  I was comforted that I could name my bike something that would remind me of her.

The Western version of this story is that, on a steel frame bike, they apply anti-corrosion fluid inside the frame.  It is poured into the seat post, sloshed around the frame and drained.  The tube that the seat post is inserted into is liberally coated with grease to help keep moisture out.  The bolt was simply not torqued tightly enough.

I will leave it to you to decide which is the better explanation but I prefer the Kokopelli version.

Image result for kokopelli

janice21475
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

I figured out what to name my second bike, "Kokopelli".  Kokopelli is a Native American spirit that is mischievous, a trickster.

It would be nice to see that character on a license plate behind your seat.  I know of no where on the frame to paint it. A very good name!

janice21475
17 hours ago, steel said:

@meyery2k  ingrown toenails

I would suggest wearing open toed shoes until all clear. Of course, the pain may have driven you to that course of action already. :)

Get better soon.  (You could treat yourself to a pedicure from now on. No need for the nail polish but to have an experienced person do the  trimming would be a wonderful thing.) Sorry for the pain.

adiantum

8   Its hard to be active when its always so hot.

Today is to be 95F / 35C  & they say we are to have heat until April.

Mike that Kokopelli looks like a fun companion that will save you from monotony .

steel
6 hours ago, janice21475 said:

I would suggest wearing open toed shoes until all clear. Of course, the pain may have driven you to that course of action already. :)

Get better soon.  (You could treat yourself to a pedicure from now on. No need for the nail polish but to have an experienced person do the  trimming would be a wonderful thing.) Sorry for the pain.

Thanks :)  luckily the pain is tolerable. hoping the nail will grow out on it's own this time. i am trying to keep it very clean, to prevent infection.

looking forward to a pedicure in future!

---

BG 92

post meal 2 hours: 88

excited to see what the upcoming A1C will be like.

meyery2k
8 hours ago, janice21475 said:

It would be nice to see that character on a license plate behind your seat.  I know of no where on the frame to paint it. A very good name!

They actually make Hawaii plates that you can customize.  I can then attach it to the bag that hangs under the saddle.  "Fiare" has one.

Having a Kokopelli painted on the frame, a small one, would be a neat thing.  I'll bet I could talk to an auto paint shop...

I will figure something out.  Thank you for the idea!

meyery2k

Kokopelli lives up to his name.  We got a flat tire.  Fortunately, it was right by a bus stop with a waiting kiosk so I could work on it in the shade and sit on a bench.  At least he shows me a little courtesy lol...

Hammer

An 80 (4.44) for me today.

I haven't had an ingrown toenail in decades.  My toenails actually grow very slow, or not at all.  Whenever I do get an ingrown toenail, as soon as it starts to bother me, I remove it myself.  I just use a cuticle cutter.... I'll open it up to spread the jaws, slide the pointy edge of one jaw under the top part of the nail, then slowly slide it around the nail till it gets to the beginning of the ingrown section, then I twist the cuticle cutter to push up the ingrown part of the nail.  Once the ingrown part has been pushed up, I'll cut it off with the cuticle cutter.  If you do this when the ingrown nail first starts to hurt, the ingrown section won't have made the soreness and swelling that bad, so doing it the way that I do, there isn't that much pain involved, and most of the time, there isn't any blood.