Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

adiantum

I test about 5mins after waking.

Theres no point in trying to close my eyes to the DP as it will still be reflected in my A1c

Kit
2 hours ago, ran23 said:

So to stay clear of DP, how soon after waking do you test??

Ok, there's some confusion here.  While DP is a type of liver dump, a liver dump is not necessarily DP.

DP hits while you are still asleep.  Its entire purpose is to give you energy after a long night's fasting so you can wake up, get moving, feed yourself, etc.  Mine hits me around 2-3am.

If I delay breakfast in the morning,  I will also get a liver dump after waking.  My current estimate, based upon testing, is about a 15-20 minute window after waking  Any longer than that and I am assured a decent sized liver dump.

I personally do my morning test immediately upon waking.  Get up, pee, wash hands, take BG.  Its a good habit, few possible variables.

Now if you really want to stick your head in the sand, I recommend not testing yourself at all between around midnight to 11am.

Edited by Kit

TX_Clint

I take my first reading as soon as I sit up. The only thing I have found that dependably dampens my dp is a basal insulin injection the night before. It works very well if the insulin is good. I’ve had problems with bad insulin lately and found it may have been my new refrigerator was set too cold and near freezing my insulin.

Fraser

98 on a bright sunny morning )))

Just realized that I have not updated my A1c in my signature.  Not that it really matters.  Last A1c again is 5.9,  At least I can say I am consistent. 

Edited by Fraser

adiantum

7*

DP hits me around 3 to 4am  and its the bladder that tells me it's time to wake up.

Fraser, you are an inspiration.

Kit

97 here

We're supposed to get up into the mid 70s again today.

Edited by Kit

Hammer
On 3/18/2019 at 12:10 AM, TX_Clint said:

I’ve had problems with bad insulin lately and found it may have been my new refrigerator was set too cold and near freezing my insulin.

Clint, you can't store insulin in your regular refrigerator.  I tried that when I first started on insulin, and when I did that, I also placed a wireless thermometer in the refrigerator, with the receiving unit on top of the refrigerator.  The thermometer read 34-35 degrees, which is too cold for insulin, so I turned up the thermostat in the refrigerator until the thermometer was reading 40 degrees.  After a few days of that, the fresh food in the refrigerator started to spoil, since it was too warm for the food.  I wasn't able to find a happy medium for the food and the insulin, so I ended up buying a small, compact refrigerator for the insulin, that way, I could keep the temperature at a constant 41 degrees in the insulin refrigerator, and a constant 34 degrees in my regular refrigerator.  If you decided to get a compact refrigerator, I would highly recommend getting a wireless thermometer for it, since it constantly needs to be adjusted with the changing outside temperatures.  This is the wireless thermometer that I have.  It comes with one temperature transmitter, but it can use up to 3, so you can place one in the insulin refrigerator, and maybe place one outside to see what the outdoor temperature is, and maybe place one in your regular refrigerator.

adiantum

7 on this Autumnal equinox.

I chased the ball heaps yesterday until another Cavalier King Charles Spaniel arrived.

It was another boy that looked very much like mine..

My boy either thought this new friend was stunning or inferior as he tried humping him the entire visit.

"No humping" is the new command but I'm going to feel embarrassed calling that across the park.