Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

IrinaHarr

113 today, going to garden center to get lawn bags - lots of raking to do! Temp around 50F - 10C just right for work outside 🌄

Diana_CT

Today's reading was 107.

There was an article in the New York Times about diabetes testing...

A Diabetes Home Test Can Be a Waste of Time and Money
Routine glucose monitoring may be unnecessary for people with Type 2 diabetes who are not on insulin.

Some people are struggling to afford insulin, while others may be doing unnecessary blood sugar tests at home.

I don't agree, testing every morning is a check for me to make sure I am still doing okay.

Hint: if you hare having problems reading the article because of the firewall open in "Incognito" or "Private" in your browser.

Kit

87 for me

Wearing shorts and sandals this morning.  We got up into the 80s in some spots yesterday and should be around the same today.

meyery2k

89 today.

@Diana_CT - I agree with you.  My doctor has suggested that I don't need to test and I believe him.  I insist upon the testing because it helps me mentally stay focused on what I need to do to keep under control.  

adiantum

If I didnt test at home I'd soon slip into denial.

@IrinaHarr...enjoy that yardwork. Spring is a wonderful time to  be in the garden 

Hammer

A 113 (6.27) today.  I expected it to be that high, since my doctor put me on prednisone yesterday.  I somehow sprained my neck last Saturday (I have no idea how), and it has been extremely painful.  I saw my doctor Tuesday for my usual 4 month checkup, and I told her about it.  She put me on prednisone, and I started taking it yesterday.  I knew that it would raise my glucose levels, but I didn't know by how much.  Now that I know, I'll increase my nightly Lantus dose to try to bring it back down.  I'll only be on prednisone for five days, so it's not a long term thing.  After being on it for less than one day, the pain in my neck has been greatly reduced.

I also read up on neck sprains, and the article said that when you go to bed, to not use a pillow, but to instead, support your neck.  I didn't have anything to support my neck, so I folded a bath towel in half, then rolled it up, and I used that.  That actually worked fairly well, but it's kinda hard since it doesn't compress, so I ordered a neck brace (which I'm now wearing), and a bolster neck pill, which is now on my bed.  I briefly tried out the neck pillow to see how it feels, and it's much more comfortable than the rolled up towel.

I'd still like to know what I did to sprain my neck, so that I don't do it again.  All I did Saturday when I sprained it, was to get up, eat breakfast, take a shower, get dressed, then drive down to a friend's house, where we sat in the living room and chatted for a few hours, then his wife served dinner, so we went into the dining room, and as I was sitting there, I could feel pain on the left side of my neck.  As I sat there, the pain intensified.  We sat around the table and chatted for a good while, and when I got up, my neck hurt so bad that I couldn't turn my head left or right.  It felt like I was being stabbed in the neck.  The drive home was scary, since I couldn't turn my head to look out my left or right side window to see if there were cars coming.  I couldn't sleep Saturday night because of the pain.  Sunday was when I read up on a sprained neck, and Sunday night was when I tried using the rolled up towel.  I did the same thing on Monday night, then Tuesday, I saw my doctor.  Today, Wednesday, I received the neck brace and bolster pillow, so hopefully, my neck will be fine by Saturday, which is when I'll be driving up to my daughter's house for my grandson's 5th birthday party.

IrinaHarr

132 today.

Blood test in the morning = accountability for diet and exercise, you know if you eat wrong and stayed couch potato today you will see it on the BG meter in the morning. Not testing = denial, and knowing test is not gonna show anything good today. Besides, it is easier to correct when it goes 20 points up than 120 a month later. 

Just keep testing, testing, testing!  🐟

Kit

I strongly disagree with doctors telling their T2 patients to not test.  I've been poking my fingers multiple times a day for over 5 years now and they don't hurt, they aren't sore.  Yes, strips are expensive, but that can be dealt with much easier if doctors would write prescriptions for enough strips for their patients to actually test themselves.  With my insurance copay, it doesn't cost me any different between 20 strips and 100 strips, as long as my doctor writes the prescription.  Or, at least here in the states, their are much less expensive options.

My big problem on it is that it both encourages and enables patients to bury their heads in the sand in regards the affects of diet and treatment.  Very very bad situation IMO.  Part of me thinks they do that in part to hide the fact that their dietary advice is usually so bad.

94 for me.

Diana_CT
3 hours ago, Kit said:

Yes, strips are expensive...

But they probably cost a fraction of a cent to make.

Before I retired we used to make electronic circuits, one of the multilayered circuits board that we made was about 1 cent in quantities of 10,000 and the size of the board was about 1 square inch.

Hammer

A 118 (6.55) today.  I increased my Lantus dose last night by 2 units hoping that would counteract the prednisone's raising of my BG levels, but the prednisone raised them even more.  Tonight, I'll increase my Lantus dose by 4 units and see what happens.  Unfortunately, I'll only be taking the prednisone until Saturday, so after that, I'll have to adjust my Lantus dose back down again.  I just don't like seeing my fasting levels being above the 80's, which is why I'm increasing my Lantus dose while taking prednisone.

adiantum

I should soon be able to move more during the day apart from chasing a ball.

Ive been having incredibly nasty lower back pain for some time, then yesterday when bending over, I felt a vertebra slip back into place.

Of course I said ouch ( 💣💣💣💣 ) & was surprised as I didnt realise that was the problem.

Hammer, you have my empathy & my best wishes for your neck to recover.

IrinaHarr

110 today thanks to yesterday testing. Happy TGIF and Equinox!  🌞 

My strips used to be $60/ box, now I am buying from amazon for $27 for two boxes ships free. I have older accucheck active meter and they stopped selling strips in the local pharmacies and I started started looking for them online. Was suspicious why price was so good but when strips arrived first time and I tested with old strips and then with these (they were fine). Apparently made some place in India, 4 languages text on the box including Russian. Order fulfilled and shipped by amazon. Did you know they have merk facility in India making genuine meds like Janumet $60/box shipped to your door? I am sure they cannot ship liquids, but pills and strips can be ordered for much less. Just my 2 cents.

Hammer

A 139 (7.71) today.  It seems that this prednisone is fighting me for control of my glucose levels.  I upped my nightly Lantus dose by 4 more units last night, hoping to drop from yesterday's reading of 118, down to under 100, but it rose to 139.  When I saw the 139, I took 8 units of my Novolog, figuring that should bring my levels down to under 100 in a few hours.  Four hours later I tested and it was at 131 (7.27), so I took another 7 units of Novolog.  If that still doesn't work, depending on what my levels are, I'll take another shot of Novolog.  Tonight, I'll be raising my nightly Lantus dose by another 6 units.  It seems that, every day that I take the prednisone, it works even harder to raise my BG levels....as if it's getting stronger with each passing day.  I'm not worried about it though, I have plenty of insulin and I will win!☺️