Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

IrinaHarr

117 today. My marigolds and zinnias seed sprouted in like 24 hours on a new heat mat. Wow! I feel like God, creating new life - better go use my powers (while they last) on digging new flower bed :) 

adiantum

7 after scraping myself off the ceiling at 2am when the smoke alarm went off.

It was only a flat battery but I wasnt settled enough to go back to bed.

@IrinaHarr.. Zinnias are my favourite annuals. I love their  bright colours  & was excited that they grew on the ISS.

This is a great  photo taken by Scott Kelly & thats our planet Earth in the background.

best-pics-from-year-in-space-nasa-scott-kelly-32.thumb.jpg.e2b09358525ec89b81c1c3bf81376bca.jpg

Diana_CT
7 hours ago, adiantum said:

7 after scraping myself off the ceiling at 2am when the smoke alarm went off.

It was only a flat battery but I wasn't settled enough to go back to bed.

I had one do the same thing at 2 AM. The smoke detector is right over my bed... I jumped up and down trying to figure out what all that noise was, when my brain finally woke up and I realized it was the smoke detector. The other fun art was trying to figure which of the 7 smoke detectors went off and why. The culprit turned out to be a spider in the basement detector I spied him coming out of it... he ended up being very flat.

FunDad62

Yay...it's Friday again.

When I went to Disney World last fall I was sound asleep the first night when I woke up to what I thought was an alarm clock.  Then I realized it was the smoke alarm in my room.  In addition there were dozens of alarms going off outside along with flashing strobe lights everywhere.  Someone had broken a sprinkler head off in a room and we all lingered around outside with the fire department for 20 minutes.  The good part was the next afternoon when I got back to my room there was an apology letter on the table along with two Mickey Mouse chocolate dipped rice krispy bars. :)  I took them home to my daughter.

IrinaHarr

116 today, happy TGIF!

@adiantum - photo from space is really cool! We had a lot of buzz about lottery winners going on recently, and I was thinking "if I win millions I will buy a seat on that commercial rocket to ride in space". Would be pretty amazing :)

Edited by IrinaHarr

Kit

A surprising 86 this morning.

Stopped with friends for dinner out last night and I did a lot of guessing.

meyery2k

99 two days in a row.  Working in Honolulu installing a medium sized call center.  Going home this afternoon and looking forward to the weekend.

ran23

113 today.   heading out of town to meets friends passing thru.  4 hours on the road. 

Hammer

An 89 (4.94) today.

Speaking of smoke alarms, a few years ago, my radio club was asked if we would set up a ham radio display at a retirement village.  This is a large complex that has both individual houses, as well as apartments.  In one of the main complexes where there are numerous apartments, there is an emergency ham  radio room that was set up by one of the residents there, who is also one of our club members.(he was the one who asked if we would set up the radio display.)  He, and a number of other residents there had set up an emergency radio room, that would operate as an auxiliary site to our main radio room site, which is located in the local hospital.  These setups are for use during a disaster, in the event, that all other forms of communication are down.

Well, as it turned out, the day before the display was to be shown, we had torrential downpours, and the rain flooded the area where we were going to set up outside, so we hastily set up our equipment inside, next to their emergency radio room.  The only problem was that we weren't able to set up our antennas, since we were now inside the building, and there wasn't enough space to set up the antennas we had planned to use.  We improvised, and we used several long extension cords connected together to make a makeshift antenna.  We laid the extension cords up along the walls of the hallway so that ho one would trip over them.  We used an antenna tuner to match the extension cords impedance to the impedance that the radio required. (impedance is just the resistance of the wire that needed to match the resistance that the radio required to be a balanced system.)

Well, once the radio was fired up, we tried to transmit, and that set off the whole building's fire alarm system.  The administration saw where the alarm was triggered, and they knew that we were there setting up our radio equipment, so they just stopped by to check us out, then turned off the fire alarms.  The residents there didn't know what was happening, and they started to evacuate the building, but the administrators stopped them and told them what happened, so they all went back to doing whatever they were doing.  We were afraid that the fire department would show up, but the administrators called the fire department and told them what had happened.  Needless to say, that was the last time we volunteered to do that at that retirement village.☺️

adiantum

The fire dept often visit the nursing home near me and they charge them for it now. 

No longer is it a free call when nursing staff burns their  toast.

7.4 for me.

@IrinaHarr  I look forward to waving to you from the safety of planet Earth :) .

I dont even like flying in a plane yet love to watch the ISS pass overhead & am full of admiration of its crew.

ran23

I used to change smoke batteries and blow out the insides every January.  this year I am trying out the 10 yr Lithium 9v

steel

hi everyone ❤️

my bg was fluctuating (between 5.7 and 6.2 ) for the first couple of days after starting the beta blocker. then it settled down. it was 5 this morning.

Hammer
6 hours ago, ran23 said:

I used to change smoke batteries and blow out the insides every January.  this year I am trying out the 10 yr Lithium 9v

When my old smoke alarm died, I bought a new one, and this smoke detector has a battery, but it operates on house current.  The house current keeps the battery charged, so it's rare that I ever have to change the battery.  The reason for the battery is in case the house current goes off.  In that case, the battery will operate the smoke detector.  I've had this detector for many years now, and I've never had to change the battery.  I realize that at some point, the battery will no longer hold a charge, so when that happens, it will sound a beep, and then I'll have to change the battery.