Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

steel

@Hammer thanks for the excellent explanation and for answering my question. all of that made total sense. the rule of small numbers? or something similar is what Dr. Bernstein also recommends. less carbs, less insulin needed..less chance of lows.

--

fasting BG this morning was 92.

FunDad62

So my insurance company (Aetna) sent me a letter at the end of last year saying starting this year they were no longer covering my test strips for the meter I use and I would need to get a new one, which I did.  This morning at 6:00 am I got 100 using the old meter.  Just now (2 1/2 hours later) I tested here at work using both the old and new and the new one read 20 points lower than the old one.  I got 122 on my old OneTouch Ultra and 100 on my new Accu-Chek Nano.  Which one do I believe?

TX_Clint

88 today. I’d go with the new Nano since that’s what you’ll be using from now on. Just remember it may be reading a bit low. It will still tell you you shouldn’t eat cake. 🤢

meyery2k

84 this morning.  My Relion always read a little lower than my One Touch.  I go with the Relion since I like the lower number lol...

adiantum

It's 4am & it appears it's just me and Venus that are up. 

Not a bird to be heard, just a dog snoring.

Hammer

An 81 (4.5) today.

Fundad, when you tested using both meters, did you squeeze out a large drop of blood and use that drop of blood to take both readings?  If not, taking a reading from one spot, then taking a second reading from a different spot, will result in two different readings.  If you did use the same drop of blood for both readings, then how old is your One Touch Ultra?  I'm asking because, my old Bayer Contour meter was my trusty meter.  When I was forced to change to another meter, because, like you, the mail order supplier of my Bayer Contour test strips no longer carried them, I had to change to a Bayer Contour Next EZ meter.  I compared the two meters, and I found that my older Bayer Contour meter was reading low.  I bought a Bayer Contour Next meter to see how it compared to both the Bayer Contour, and the Bayer Contour Next EZ meter, and the readings on the Next meter was identical to the Next EZ meter.  It was then that I realized that my old trusty meter had been reading low for some time, and that was why I was getting higher A1c test readings.  The newer meters are usually more accurate than the older meters.

FunDad62

@Hammer - Yeah my OneTouch is old.  I can't even remember how long I've had it.  I agree with you that the newer meters should be more accurate.  Oh and I did use the same blood drop to test.

steel

hmm not seeing any readings in the 80s these days. no change in diet/exercise. oh well. -_-

FunDad62

Left my phone in the car in the parking garage across the street.  I feel naked.  Isn't it crazy how much we rely on them?  It's a love/hate thing.

adiantum

Some mornings are hard to get up and go. I got up OK but just cant get going.

Maybe coffee is the answer.

steel

@meyery2k thanks for the encouragement! it's so appreciated. even tho i know there's meter variance and not much of a difference between a 95 and an 88, but the 80s just sound so good :lol: and give the illusion of progress (not that it isn't progress but...real progress will be getting out of the 90s for some time, but i want to be patient with myself...bc this is going to be a daily thing, so i may as well relax into it).

p.s. thinking of an older relative with t2d diagnosed in late 70s. on new year's, she had what was basically deep fried all purpose flour breads with curried chickpeas and dessert. she hadn't had it in ages, and she doesn't spike much anyway. i didn't say anything (obviously) but we were both curious about her BG. after 1 hour she was only at 7.5, which is excellent considering the meal she had...at least 200 grams of carbs. after two hours..she was 5.8. in another year, she was at 4.7. and there were no late spikes, because we checked for a while. i am baffled..how does she have such high carb tolerance with t2d! she eats rotis without issues. she can have rice (not my measly 1/4th of a cup either) without a spike. i've seen her in the 7s after she's had too much dessert on rare occasions, but i would easily be in double digits and def over 200 if i ate like that.  she's very thin too, so i'd think she's less insulin resistant than me. i have to say she's usually very good with her diet and doesn't splurge much even though she can handle it better than many. what a blessing it is to occasionally be able to splurge without horrific spikes.

Edited by steel

Fraser

Simple diabetes varies. The only thing that matters are your numbers )

meyery2k

@steel - The 80's had better music too.

Diabetes for me is weird too.  While the doctor won't take it off my chart, he conceded to calling it in remission and refers to it as "mild diabetes" in the clinical notes I have access to.  Me being a stubborn cuss, call myself insulin resistant since I no longer present the symptoms of clinical diabetes.

One time, I ate pho (Vietnamese rice noodle soup) and I was at 170 an hour later.  Other tries with rice were equally disastrous for me.  Potatoes on the other hand are not too bad to me.  I go higher than I like but I seem to come back down within 2 to 3 hours so it is a once in a while thing.  I like to get breakfast out and have hash browns on a splurge day.  Bread is also not too good for me.  Seems like the very simple starches are the ones I am most intolerant to.

Sugar, though, does not have nearly the effect I would expect.  I have had a piece of cheesecake starting at 85 mg/dl, went to 110 in 60 minutes, was back to 90 in 2 hours.  Again, the spike is a little more than I like but that is really an almost normal response.  I have no idea what a can of Coca-Cola would do to me.  I used to love the stuff and would drink it to excess but it is poison to me now.  I am all for experimenting on myself out of curiosity but there are things that are just plain dumb for me like drinking soda.

As long as I ride "the bejesus" out of that bicycle and stay on a low carb diet most of the time, I stay OK so far.

On a good note, when I finally got this all dialed in, I have never (to my knowledge anyway) been over the 170 that I measured after the pho.  The morning after I was diagnosed and got my meter, the fasting reading was nearly 300.  I was diabetic (I know, I know, I still am according to the doctor anyway).  There have been times I have been over 120 which is what I am not happy to go over.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like to go near it but diabetes is capricious so I give myself 120 as the limit.  At 110, I am in my "yellow" zone though.

@Kit - shared a neat video in which non-diabetic people tested their response to various sugar alcohols.  They used table sugar as a baseline.  What I found fascinating was that they started in the mid 80-s, went to nearly 140 iirc, then were back in the mid 80's in under 2 hours.  I would have much the same response except that it would take me 3 or 4 hours to get back there.  That really illustrated what was wrong with me.  It wasn't the spike because, apparently, we all do that, it is that I don't get that glucose into my cells as rapidly as the non-diabetic/insulin resistant.  This put me firmly in the mindset the "pre-diabetes" IS diabetes.  It is an abnormal response to insulin, just not as severe.

FunDad62

I just remembered when I was about 21 and working as a firefighter and EMT, one of the ER doctors told me I was borderline diabetic.  Guess I should've taken it more seriously way back then.  Later in my early 30's another doctor monitored my readings for a few months as he thought the same thing but eventually told me it was ok.  Then around 40 I was told by a third doctor "You have diabetes.  Did you know that???"