Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

Kit

@steel

We're all a bit different.  If I jump up high for some reason, it can take a day or more for me to get back down again, and even then, its so easy for it to jump up again for a few days afterwards.  Part of that is not just because of the food I ate, but how my body responds.

Our livers store and release glucose.  Its a normal body function and happens with everyone.  But the liver doesn't look at our glucose levels to decide when to release that glucose.  It looks at our circulating insulin levels.  When a T2 goes high, its a guarantee that their circulating insulin levels are also high.  Which means ours livers can start releasing glucose when our BG levels are high and we don't need it.

My personal choice is to try to arrange my diet so I can avoid that as much as possible.  The less stress I toss on my pancreas, the more likely I will preserve its ability to react, and the less likely I will hit a progressive point where my ability to control my levels is impaired more than it is currently.  I was diagnosed at 41.  I hopefully have a lot of years ahead of me still.

If I do have a carb splurge, I choose carbs which are not fast and have a decent amount of fiber in them, such as having a small serving of beans with my mexican, or similar.

I have found that desires and cravings very much change.  I don't really crave rice or potatoes or bread, or similar anymore.  I'll be hitting 5 years since diagnosis on the 27th and my tastes and the kinds of foods I want has drastically changed since then.

For example, on Christmas I had my planned meal.  I was not tempted by all of the carbs piled high on the table.  I didn't want them.  When everyone was sitting around eating desserts, I sipped on a cup of coffee.  I was full.  I didn't have any desire for dessert.  And even if I did, there are so many low carb options that I could have easily had something enjoyable that wouldn't have blown things for me.  I make a pumpkin cheesecake mousse that my extremely (massive understatement) picky husband described as tasting just like pumpkin pie.

In regards to the video @meyery2k mentioned, a little additional information.

They tested with 2 Tbsp of sugar (that's a lot) and for the other sweeteners, whatever amount was equivalent to 2 Tbsp of sugar in sweetness.

Edited by Kit

Fraser

83 at 4 am. I wake up when I get close to 80. Which I is good, but hard to get back to sleep

Ahnanimus

85 on Thankful  Thursday. I got all the decorations down and stored away yesterday. Didn't have to do the breakfast bribe, a friend came by and helped me. 

@adiantum when my get up and go refuses to get up and go, I usually decide to complete the nothing I hadn't completed when my get up and go got up and left without me on a previous occasion. The result is a beautiful  "don't give a damn, I'm on vacation today"  feeling.😁

ran23

83, second walk.  108/74 p98.   not bad.  will keep up second walks until the weather changes. 

steel

95 this morning.

@Kit

I didn't know that liver releases glucose on the basis of circulating insulin. That's very interesting.

I didn't know you were diagnosed so young. I am in my early 30s and early 40s isn't much different. We have a long road ahead of us. I try to reduce splurges for similar reasons, and luckily I love meat and fats, so when I do splurge I just have a small amount of carb as treats and load up on the fats and meat. I do well with this strategy. My accidental yogurt eating has caused me spikes in the 8s, but eating out has never because I plan accordingly.  I have to make this pancreas last for a good 50 years, because t2 isn't just a disease of insulin resistance but beta cell dysfunction as well. I want to do everything to keep those beta cells working longer, which basically means putting less strain on them and not making the poor things work harder. I don't think t2d in younger people is worse in itself as in more dangerous on its own, but it's more that the longer one has it, the more time there is for problems to develop and your pancreas is at a disadvantage relative to someone diagnosed in the 60s and 70s because the same reduced beta cell mass now has to stretch out function for a good 30-40 years longer. I don't see anything wrong with choosing to go on insulin, in fact it can be a very good strategy. But it calls for more vigilance, more resources with strips, cost of insulin and any other devices needed. I would like to manage my carb consumption to a degree where I can really reduce strain on the pancreas so further impairment takes place at a very slow rate, bc there's some age related decline in both beta cell function and insulin sensitivity in non diabetics too so we're def more vulnerable having developed it in the 30s and early 40s. It's great that you are so disciplined. It helps me see it can be done. :) With all the knowledge, commitment and support at our disposal, we will do very well. 

@FunDad62

wow you were told you were pre-D at 21? that's so young. i had Pre-D in my late 20s but had insulin resistance for much longer than that. I was a poster child for metabolic syndrome with insulin resistance,  PCOS and hypothyroidism, tho cholesterol was okay. but yeah, you may have had pre-D in your 30s before the full t2d diagnosis in your 40s. May I know how long you've been diagnosed with t2d?

FunDad62
14 hours ago, steel said:

May I know how long you've been diagnosed with t2d?

I think it was 2001 when that doctor told me I had type 2.

adiantum

6.3 WooHoo...we are all going to the beach with Ahnanimus..

Swimwear 
When I was a child in the 1950s the bathing suit for the mature figure was boned, trussed and reinforced, not so much sewn as engineered. 
They were built to hold back and uplift and they did a good job.
Today's stretch fabrics are designed for the prepubescent girl with a Figure carved from a potato chip.

The mature woman has a choice. She can either go up front to the maternity department and try on a floral suit with a skirt, coming away looking like a hippopotamus who escaped from Disney's Fantasia ..... Or she can wander around every run of the mill department store trying to make a sensible choice from what amounts to a designer range of florescent rubber bands. 
What choice did I have? I wandered around, made my sensible choice and entered the chamber of horrors known as the fitting room.

The first thing I noticed was the extraordinary tensile strength of the stretch material. The lycra used in bathing costumes was developed, I believe, by NASA to launch small rockets from a slingshot, which give the added bonus that if you manage to actually lever yourself into one, you are
protected from shark attacks as any shark taking a swipe at your passing midriff would immediately suffer whiplash. 
I fought my way into the bathing suit, but as I twanged the shoulder strap in place, I gasped in horror! My
boobs had disappeared!

Eventually, I found one boob cowering under my left armpit. It took a while to find the other. At last I located it flattened beside my seventh rib.
The problem is that modern bathing suits have no bra cups. The mature woman is meant to wear her boobs spread across her chest like a speed bump.

I realigned my speed bump and lurched toward the mirror to take a full view assessment.
The bathing suit fit all right, but unfortunately it only fit those bits of me willing to stay inside it!!!!! The rest of me oozed out rebelliously from top, bottom, and sides. I looked like a lump of play dough wearing undersized cling wrap.

As I tried to work out where all those extra bits had come from, the prepubescent sales girl popped her head through the curtain, 'Oh, there you are,' she said, admiring the bathing suit.

I replied that I wasn't so sure and asked what else she had to show me. 
I tried on a cream crinkled one that made me look like a lump of masking tape, and a floral two piece which gave the appearance of an oversized napkin in a serving ring.

I struggled into a pair of leopard skin bathers with ragged frills and came out looking like Tarzan's Jane, pregnant with triplets and having a rough day.

I tried on a black number with a midriff and looked like a jellyfish in mourning.

I tried on a bright pink pair with such a high cut leg I thought I would have to wax my eyebrows to wear them.

Finally, I found a suit that fit....a two-piece affair with a shorts style bottom and a loose blouse-type top.

It was cheap, comfortable, and bulge-friendly, so I bought it.. My ridiculous search had a successful outcome, I figured. When I got home, I found a label which read -- 'Material might become transparent in water.

So, if you happen to be on the beach or near any other body of water this year and I'm there too .. I'll be the one in cut off jeans and a T-shirt!

steel

swimsuit speed bump...aka "uniboob" :ph34r::D

bg this morning..95.

----

thanks for answering :). that's almost 20 years ago! wow...i sometimes wonder if time would fly by for me too...and beautifully..so i'll be able to look back at the time i thought t2d was the end when my life was only beginning at 30. :)  i already feel so much better than i did when diagnosed, without even digging for silver linings.  are you on any meds?

@FunDad62

FunDad62

Took my oral meds but no Tresiba last night.

12 hours ago, steel said:

are you on any meds?

Too many.  ActoMet, Januvia, Novolog 3x/day and Tresiba at night.  As well as other non-diabetes related meds.

Ahnanimus
18 hours ago, adiantum said:

Swimwear

Adiantum, I laughed till I not only cried, but did something which would have required me to wear Depends if I knew I was going to read your outrageously hilarious post😂😂😂😃

I can relate. Years ago I decided that my bathsuit would be short tights and a spandex vest  it works well for me.

meyery2k

91 this morning.

My daughter made pozole last night which can best be described as a chile stew.  She used pork butt.  Her family recipe from Nana Rosa (MIL) calls for hominy but she knows that I can't eat corn.  She consulted with her mother-in-law from where she got the recipe and was told to use garbanzo beans instead.  I overheard some of the conversation and I swear making this stuff sounds like making rocket fuel lol...

I went for a run and then it was time to eat.  I tested at 85 before eating.  The pozole was delicious (delicioso in Spanish).  One of the best dishes she has ever made. Enjoyed with a glass of red wine.  Approached the dreaded meter between 90 and 120 minutes later and tested at 85 :).

Having some more pozole and then going for a big bike ride today so no worries about my stupid diabetes!  It is even better the next day like most stews are.

I might reach out and see what hummus does to me.  Used to love the stuff but steered away because of the carb count.

Kit

99 here

And that one is my fault.  I just flat out ate more than I should have yesterday.  It was all keto friendly stuff, there was just too much of it.

Wednesday is Mr Fuzzy's 50th birthday.  So today I am making a beautiful looking beef rib roast (amazing deal in the store, it was cheaper per pound than hamburger).  The roast is all prepped and sitting out to come to room temperature.  Will go into the oven in an hour or so.

I'll do the oven roasted potatoes for him (in the roast drippings) because its his birthday.  I am going to pan fry radishes and make kind of a pan fried potato type of thing for me.  If there's enough, I'll steal a little of the drippings from the roast for the radishes.  I'm guessing this should make them taste very similar to the potatoes.  I always season the roast and potatoes with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning.  Mr Fuzzy loved that combination.  The radishes with salt, pepper, and a little rosemary.

Then I'm going to make a big pan of creamed spinach because it goes amazing with a beef roast.  I may add some nutmeg.  I don't normally but I think I will today.