Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

IrinaHarr

112 on Sunday, 122 today. Had upset stomach Sunday morning, was fasting till noon then made some plain buckwheat groats to calm down insides (its a little higher in carbs that I would like to... grilled chicken and salads work best for my BG).

Last year I got new glasses after eye exam and experience was terrible. After a week of trying to make it work and tripping over my own feet I returned them (luckily I could, it was SAMs club optical place). After that I went to LensCrafters and their eye doctor determined my previous eye exam was no good and prescription was wrong; pair of glasses i wear now was great from the moment I put them on. I took frames size off my old frames, found similar frame on ebay (paid $97) and LendCafters put new bifocal lenses in them for $280. I can read, drive and do computer work without much tilting my head.

My first glasses 19 years ago did give me wierd experience: all square surfaces looked trapezoid and tilted towards me. I was afraid to put my cup on the table :)   That was over in a couple of days, my brain adapted and I could see signs on the road ahead I could never see before.

TX_Clint

63 this morning. If this keeps up I'll need to lower my basal insulin. Of course if I do it'll probably jump up to 150. :dontknow:

Kit

85 for me

Can I go back to bed now?  Now that I can sleep again its all I want to do.

ran23

102 this morning.  better than the 152 an hour after two slices of pizza, one whole, one toppings.  

Hammer

An 89 (4.94) today.

IrinaHarr, next time you need glasses, check out Zenni.  That's who I use, and they have great prices.  All you need to have is your prescription from the optician (make sure they include your pupillary distance or PD, which is the distance between your pupils).  You just go to the Zenni website, pick out which frames you like, making sure that the range of the frames are within your pupillary distance, then fill in the information from your prescription, and place the order.  Even though I have vision coverage with my insurance, it's cheaper for me to just buy Zenni, plus, since I don't use the insurance for the glasses, I can buy as many pairs of glasses as I want.

I just bought some glasses from Zenni, and the frames with the progressive bi-focal lenses cost $65, while the fixed focus glasses for viewing my computer, as well as the fixed focus glasses for driving, were $27 a pair.

adiantum

Started taking Ardix Gliclazide yesterday and assume it will take at least one week to act.

Crossing fingers I wont be allergic to it.

@IrinaHarr , a can of coke always settled an upset tummy & diet coke etc should work  the same.

IrinaHarr

Hammer, I bookmarked the website - thank you! at the time I was looking for particular brand name frames I wore before (old ones fell apart after 8 years) and those frames were the only one comfortable, thin, light, fit me and complimented my face (and accommodate my high bridge of the nose). I will look at this site when I need another pair :)

Kit

I may murder Mr Fuzzy.  I discovered last night that he dumped a shoot ton of unprocessed ebooks in with my processed, corrected, and organized library.  Its now full of duplicates, bad tags, and similar.

This is going to take forever to clean up.

adiantum

@IrinaHarr , at the risk of sounding  like a quack with my alternative remedies  .. at the start of a sore throat, cough or sneeze.. I chew on zinc tabs or lozenges. It was recommended by a doctor years ago & it stops infections from setting in.

I suck on one when I have to sit in the doctors waiting room as someone is bound to spread their germs with a sneeze or cough.

Hammer
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

@IrinaHarr , at the risk of sounding  like a quack with my alternative remedies  .. at the start of a sore throat, cough or sneeze.. I chew on zinc tabs or lozenges. It was recommended by a doctor years ago & it stops infections from setting in.

I suck on one when I have to sit in the doctors waiting room as someone is bound to spread their germs with a sneeze or cough.

Lee, I agree with this.  While I do have some zinc lozenges, I usually suck on a zinc supplement tablet.  It tastes terrible, and I have no idea if it actually does anything, but I haven't had a cold in more than 10 years, and I haven't had the flu in more than 37 years, so maybe it is working?

While there is no scientific evidence of zinc preventing colds and whatever, I started sucking on zinc supplements if I thought that I might have a cold coming on, when I read an article about a doctor who gave his 2 year old daughter her morning vitamins and supplements.  He thought that she had a cold coming on, due to her symptoms, and when he gave her her zinc supplement, she refused to swallow it...she just sucked on it.  The next day, her early cold symptoms were gone, so this made the doctor wonder if her sucking on the zinc had anything to do with it.  What he found was that, sucking on the zinc caused the germ center, which is in the back of your throat, to be constantly covered in zinc, and that killed a lot of the cold germs. 

When you get a cold, what happens is that, the cold germs begin to multiply in the back of your throat, which is why you frequently get a sore throat when a cold is beginning to start.  Once the germs have sufficient numbers, they invade your body, which is when you develop a full blown cold.  Your body's natural defense is overwhelmed with this invasion, and isn't able to cope with this onslaught of germs.  After this onslaught happens, your body starts to build anti-bodies to combat this onslaught of germs, but it takes a few days before the anti-bodies have enough in numbers, to fight off the cold germs.  By sucking on a zinc tablet several times a day, that prevents the cold germs from accumulating in numbers before your body can create enough anti-bodies to ward them off.  By the time the cold has enough numbers to invade your body, your body has built up enough anti-bodies to fend them off.  The key to this, is to suck on zinc supplements as soon as you begin to feel like you are getting a cold.  The longer you wait, the less effective it is.

While there is no scientific evidence of this, it has worked for me, so who knows....it might work for others as well, I mean, how many people can say that they haven't have a cold in more than ten years, or the flu in more than 37 years?